• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all gun owning foster/adoptive parents in Nevada

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I was a foster kid in the 80's I learned that the State does not fix the problems, they create them (to fabricate their own relevance.) Having a job was discouraged as it would Muss the schedule, if all the other kids ate at 5:30 and you did not get (not home) but to your domicile until 7:00. The other reason being a productive member of society was discouraged, was you may retain too many worldly possessions. I retained my gainful employment despite the flack, and purchased a waterbed... This addition meant that when the pissy ol caseworker came out for my monthly transfer (it keeps you in check) She had to drive a U-Haul (Now who is out of their comfort zone!)

Raleigh

My wife and I are just finishing our foster classes, the firearm regulations, while annoying were not at issue as we had sold our guns several months back. We are in a better financial situation now and I am looking to purchase a firearm again. I will have to talk to our case worker to get specifics about what she will accept and not accept.

turborich

WE have been entertaining the idea of fostering one child however if guns in a locked safe are an issue then we will have to pass. It's a shame because we could possibly offer a child a much better environment to be in.

h2ojunkie

What makes it even worse is that they regulations only disqualify you from fostering if you are honest and admit you have a loaded gun in your safe.

No one actually inspects the weapon to be sure its empty.

So if you are a dishonest person that violates the regulations and lie about it, the state wants you as a foster parent. But if you are an honest person, you can be trusted to care for a child.

How screwed up is that?

bchunter

Could you not just carry anyways?

How often is someone questioned if the child they are with is theirs or not anyways?

h2ojunkie

There are a couple problems with that, first of all it's a crime to knowingly violate a NAC regulation regarding foster care.

The second and much more important issue is if they did find out, from the child or any other way, they would pull the child from the home.

Can you imagine the trama to a child that has been living with you for a year, hoping and waiting for the adoption to become finalized only to be ripped away from what they thought would be their new permanent home?

There's no way I (or anyone eles) should have to risk putting a child though that because of a bad law.