Thread: Info, please

Info, please

I have only been aware of the state's CCW, not open carry. Who can open carry? Also, why do I need a permit to purchase from a gun shop issued by my local sheriff? BTW, I'm originally from out of state.
    Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by Xcop; 12-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO Xcop.

Presume from your location that the question relates to the laws and circumstances in Michigan. Moved this to that state sub-forum so that you may receive state specific answers.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=257

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=101
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-09-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/brochure.pdf

the MOC trifold has all kinds of good information on open carry

all handguns must be registered in michigan. meaning if you purchase from a shop they will take care of the paper work. just need to get the mich state police copy to local sheriff.

to do a private sale you need the purchase permit. this ensures that the handgun gets properly registered so they can track the owner

rifles/shotguns do not require a purchase permit
    Last edited by SD40VE; 12-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 22Luke36 View Post
    No car carry without a CPL. Trunk, in a case designed for a firearm, unloaded. The bullets can be in the mag, do not insert the clip into the mag well. You dont have to leave the slide open, but the police appreciate it and you can get your gun ready faster.
    the mag can be in the same case as the firearm? it was my understanding that the mag with rounds had to be in a different place than the firearm. i usually pull my mag and put in the car with me.

also for a single cab truck with a cap. would i have to keep the firearm in the truck bed since the cap gives me another lockable compartment apart from the truck cab? just curious. i have been putting firearms in the truck bed and ammo/mag with ammo in the cab

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    there is no rule/law about where the ammo can be in relationship to the firearm in michigan. plenty of other states have such rules, but michigan is not one of them.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

This thread is all over the place! OP: Check out the stickies and MSP Legal Update #86. If you're going to purchase a pistol from an FFL dealer you no longer need to go to the police station to get a permit to purchase. The FFL will have all the paperwork you need. The only time you need to go to the police station is to get the permit to purchase if you're purchasing a pistol via private sale and you don't have a CPL. Here is the site where you can fully read the MCL: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2w2...ame=mcl-28-422

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol without a CPL:
    750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); "antique firearm" defined.
    Sec. 231a.
    (1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.
    (b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.
    (c) To a person carrying an antique firearm, completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.
    (d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
    (e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
    Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol with a CPL after having drank:
    28.425k Acceptance of license as implied consent to submit to chemical analysis of breath, blood, or urine.
    (3) This section does not prohibit an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol who has any bodily alcohol content from transporting that pistol in the locked trunk of his or her motor vehicle or another motor vehicle in which he or she is a passenger or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol or on a vessel if the pistol is transported unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

With a screen name like XCOP - one would think the OP would be all knowing...ok razzing off now. Your answers are here Xcop, should we never see another post from you - like so many other one post wonders as of late, you are welcome. +1to all who helped out once again.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    With a screen name like XCOP - one would think the OP would be all knowing...ok razzing off now. Your answers are here Xcop, should we never see another post from you - like so many other one post wonders as of late, you are welcome. +1to all who helped out once again.
    XCOP could also indicate NOT-A-COP. They too drive by sometimes
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    This is the best place to get carry info about Michigan, especially open carry.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    This is the best place to get carry info about Michigan, especially open carry.
    MOC is very good as well. their founders originated here in the michigan forum of OCDO

Quote Originally Posted by SD40VE View Post
    MOC is very good as well. their founders originated here in the michigan forum of OCDO
    Yes they did. however here not only do you get many MOC forum users, including the President of MOC at times, you also get a nation wide group. People like Grapeshot are a great resources. Also I have found that many people in MOC have forgotten their roots here.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    This thread is all over the place! OP: Check out the stickies and MSP Legal Update #86. If you're going to purchase a pistol from an FFL dealer you no longer need to go to the police station to get a permit to purchase. The FFL will have all the paperwork you need. The only time you need to go to the police station is to get the permit to purchase if you're purchasing a pistol via private sale and you don't have a CPL. Here is the site where you can fully read the MCL: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2w2...ame=mcl-28-422

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol without a CPL:

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol with a CPL after having drank:
    yes but does a truck cap constitute as having a trunk? this is the dilemma i face.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40VE View Post
    yes but does a truck cap constitute as having a trunk? this is the dilemma i face.
    Not much of a dilemma, due to subsection E

Quote Originally Posted by Which Says:
    (e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 12-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.