• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info, please

Xcop

I have only been aware of the state's CCW, not open carry. Who can open carry? Also, why do I need a permit to purchase from a gun shop issued by my local sheriff? BTW, I'm originally from out of state.
Thanx in advance.

Last edited:

SD40VE

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/brochure.pdf

the MOC trifold has all kinds of good information on open carry

all handguns must be registered in michigan. meaning if you purchase from a shop they will take care of the paper work. just need to get the mich state police copy to local sheriff.

to do a private sale you need the purchase permit. this ensures that the handgun gets properly registered so they can track the owner

rifles/shotguns do not require a purchase permit

Last edited:

22Luke36

No car carry without a CPL. Trunk, in a case designed for a firearm, unloaded. The bullets can be in the mag, do not insert the clip into the mag well. You dont have to leave the slide open, but the police appreciate it and you can get your gun ready faster.

SD40VE

No car carry without a CPL. Trunk, in a case designed for a firearm, unloaded. The bullets can be in the mag, do not insert the clip into the mag well. You dont have to leave the slide open, but the police appreciate it and you can get your gun ready faster.

the mag can be in the same case as the firearm? it was my understanding that the mag with rounds had to be in a different place than the firearm. i usually pull my mag and put in the car with me.

also for a single cab truck with a cap. would i have to keep the firearm in the truck bed since the cap gives me another lockable compartment apart from the truck cab? just curious. i have been putting firearms in the truck bed and ammo/mag with ammo in the cab

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
there is no rule/law about where the ammo can be in relationship to the firearm in michigan. plenty of other states have such rules, but michigan is not one of them.

22Luke36

there is no rule/law about where the ammo can be in relationship to the firearm in michigan. plenty of other states have such rules, but Michigan is not one of them.

For the context of this discussion you would be correct. However, if you have been drinking, there are some added requirements. I can't recall the cite, I don't drink so it really isn't an issue for me.

xmanhockey7

This thread is all over the place! OP: Check out the stickies and MSP Legal Update #86. If you're going to purchase a pistol from an FFL dealer you no longer need to go to the police station to get a permit to purchase. The FFL will have all the paperwork you need. The only time you need to go to the police station is to get the permit to purchase if you're purchasing a pistol via private sale and you don't have a CPL. Here is the site where you can fully read the MCL: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2w...leg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol without a CPL:
750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); "antique firearm" defined.
Sec. 231a.
(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:
(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.
(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.
(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm, completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol with a CPL after having drank:
28.425k Acceptance of license as implied consent to submit to chemical analysis of breath, blood, or urine.
(3) This section does not prohibit an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol who has any bodily alcohol content from transporting that pistol in the locked trunk of his or her motor vehicle or another motor vehicle in which he or she is a passenger or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol or on a vessel if the pistol is transported unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

FreeInAZ

With a screen name like XCOP - one would think the OP would be all knowing...ok razzing off now. Your answers are here Xcop, should we never see another post from you - like so many other one post wonders as of late, you are welcome. +1to all who helped out once again. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With a screen name like XCOP - one would think the OP would be all knowing...ok razzing off now. Your answers are here Xcop, should we never see another post from you - like so many other one post wonders as of late, you are welcome. +1to all who helped out once again. :D

XCOP could also indicate NOT-A-COP. They too drive by sometimes :)

Raggs

This is the best place to get carry info about Michigan, especially open carry.

Raggs

MOC is very good as well. their founders originated here in the michigan forum of OCDO

Yes they did. however here not only do you get many MOC forum users, including the President of MOC at times, you also get a nation wide group. People like Grapeshot are a great resources. Also I have found that many people in MOC have forgotten their roots here.

SD40VE

This thread is all over the place! OP: Check out the stickies and MSP Legal Update #86. If you're going to purchase a pistol from an FFL dealer you no longer need to go to the police station to get a permit to purchase. The FFL will have all the paperwork you need. The only time you need to go to the police station is to get the permit to purchase if you're purchasing a pistol via private sale and you don't have a CPL. Here is the site where you can fully read the MCL: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2w...leg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol without a CPL:

Here is the law regarding transporting a pistol with a CPL after having drank:

yes but does a truck cap constitute as having a trunk? this is the dilemma i face.

Evil Creamsicle

yes but does a truck cap constitute as having a trunk? this is the dilemma i face.

Not much of a dilemma, due to subsection E

Which Says: said:
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

Last edited:

22Luke36

IOW if you have a truck it can be up front with you. It has to be in a case. I would suggest a locking case, and keep the key on the ignition keyring.