• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

foxnews ATF reportedly used rogue tactics in a half-dozen cities

eye95

The article keeps calling these "gun buyback programs." Although a horrible misnomer, that title refers to programs run by government agencies (not the feds) to "guns off the streets" with "no questions asked." Yet the article also calls these programs "under cover" and "sting" operations. Which is it? An above-board (but silly) guns-off-the-street program or a deceptive undercover sting operation?

This article is really poor at communicating the details.

BTW, if the ATF is presenting these programs as typical "buybacks," but is deceiving the sellers, then there is an upside (among all the downsides): Folks will begin to lose confidence in real "buybacks," wondering if the promise of "no questions asked" will be violated, wondering if they are being set up.

Aknazer

The article keeps calling these "gun buyback programs." Although a horrible misnomer, that title refers to programs run by government agencies (not the feds) to "guns off the streets" with "no questions asked." Yet the article also calls these programs "under cover" and "sting" operations. Which is it? An above-board (but silly) guns-off-the-street program or a deceptive undercover sting operation?

This article is really poor at communicating the details.

BTW, if the ATF is presenting these programs as typical "buybacks," but is deceiving the sellers, then there is an upside (among all the downsides): Folks will begin to lose confidence in real "buybacks," wondering if the promise of "no questions asked" will be violated, wondering if they are being set up.

I took it as they used the "buybacks" to try and build inroads or try and come up with people to target. And if it destroys the confidence in such programs, good! They're a farce anyways and I don't want my tax dollars going to such wastes of money.