• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bank notory refused to noterized AW reg & affidavide???

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
so i went to get my aw/affidavit form notarized per the ct law at my local bank, the bank agent told me she wouldn't' do it and i have to go to police station. I polity asked why she she felt she couldn't perform her duty as a notary?? she said she doesn't like guns and refused to do it; also says my forms were unprovable (doesnt no if i have the listed item even though i have an accompanying affidavit) and she wouldn't motorize them?
I am beside myself and calmly left. Going back tomorrow to close all accounts. Anyone else run into this and Whats your thoughts??

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
actually Rich, The bank manager was standing rite next to her supporting this. I wasn't going to argue as it would do serve no purpose.
I did some research since(google) and have found they cannot deny service based on personal preferences or made up beliefs, the notary is attesting to the documents before them, that's it.
I'm over it but i thought i'd share to see if any others have been met with resistance on the notary's part.
thanks

CT Barfly

http://www.ct.gov/sots/cwp/view.asp?q=392266

Complaints

Any person may file a formal complaint against a notary public. All complaints must be submitted in writing to the Notary Public Unit of the Secretary of the State's Office. A complaint must allege a specific violation of Connecticut Notary Public Law. It must also include photocopies of relevant documents.

OC for ME

Uh, copies? Well, ummm, aw/affidavit form ain't exactly illegal.....just unpopular.

File the formal complaint and see what happens. Contacting corporate would be the thing I would do while I was getting ready to lick the stamp to send the formal complaint. If they sing a tune i like then I save a stamp, if not, let corporate know that you just, while on the phone with them, licked a stamp to send a complaint. Yeah, and complain about the jerk-weed manager too.

Rich B

File the formal complaint and see what happens.

Absolutely nothing other than another government agency having copies of his registration paperwork. What the notary did is not a violation of their rules unless they take money for it, which most (all?) banks do not. This is an issue to be discussed with the people paying their paychecks.

CT Barfly

Absolutely nothing other than another government agency having copies of his registration paperwork. What the notary did is not a violation of their rules unless they take money for it, which most (all?) banks do not. This is an issue to be discussed with the people paying their paychecks.

OP is a bank customer...notary services are generally offered as a courtesy to bank customers ONLY. The first question the notary will ask you when you walk into a bank is "are you an account holder?"

I would say that any fees he pays to the bank (what about interest rates on credit cards/mortgage???) are a form of payment for notary services.

File the complaint if you feel comfortable providing the required supporting documentation.

This is a service the OP has paid for and therefore the notary is duty bound to provide it.

http://www.ct.gov/sots/lib/sots/LegislativeServices/forms/notarymanual.pdf

Refusal of Service 4.2.1

I think it's per se unreasonable for a state-regulated official to refuse to provide service to an individual attempting to comply with state law. If the legislature requires that a form be notarized...a notary may not refuse to notarize based on his/her personal political views. Since when do we allow a notary to frustrate the purpose of the legislature? Will the state recognize the OP's defense of "attempted compliance but the notary refused"?

Last edited:

dmjs

Notary Service

That is correct, file a complaint with the state include all requested information. I know that a Bank of America employee refused to sign for me and she is no longer a Notary.

Contact me if you would like, I will do it for you.

Last edited: