• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FBI Arrests 18 Los Angeles County Sheriffs Deputies

Primus

? Is your reference to criminal gang mean police?

If it does this story isn't about police. Its about corrections officers in a jail.

Do they allow you carry your camera around the local jail house?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

I don't know what you having a camera has to do with the investigation, I am guessing nothing. But I do applaud the FBI stepping up to the plate to arrest criminal cops who violate the rights of criminals. If the police abuse the rights of criminals they will have no problem harassing law abiding citizens.

I hope the bad cops are treated appropriately in prison.

Kudos to the FBI!

Primus

I don't know what you having a camera has to do with the investigation, I am guessing nothing. But I do applaud the FBI stepping up to the plate to arrest criminal cops who violate the rights of criminals. If the police abuse the rights of criminals they will have no problem harassing law abiding citizens.

I hope the bad cops are treated appropriately in prison.

Kudos to the FBI!

Again... this investigation wasn't of cops it was of corrections officers.

But I agree kudos to FBI for a good investigation.

EMNofSeattle

If it does this story isn't about police. Its about corrections officers in a jail.

except LA county sheriff has few actual corrections officers, the jail is staffed with deputies just out of the academy and on limited duty.... so actually they were/are police.

even if they weren't commissioned officers, they still work for the SO, under the supervision of the sheriff. In my county, corrections deputies are not sworn officers, but they do work under a commissioned chief who is a peace officer.

this many people, being arrested by the FBI and charged, indicates a huge failure of leadership at best, outright criminal involvement by senior officials at worst. Sheriff Bacca should resign immediately to save face and preserve what little integrity is left in the department.

IMO

WalkingWolf

Did you even bother to read the article? it said SHERIFF'S DEPUTIES!

It doesn't matter where the offenses happened, a bad cop is pimple on society and should not be tolerated. Rouge officers tarnish the standing of good officers in the community. Good police officers do not abuse the rights of anybody for any reason. They should be tried, convicted, and hopefully punished by the inmates in a manner they deserve.

Pieces of poop, all bad cops should be jailed for every single infraction. Then the integrity will return to the profession.

Primus

except LA county sheriff has few actual corrections officers, the jail is staffed with deputies just out of the academy and on limited duty.... so actually they were/are police.

even if they weren't commissioned officers, they still work for the SO, under the supervision of the sheriff. In my county, corrections deputies are not sworn officers, but they do work under a commissioned chief who is a peace officer.

this many people, being arrested by the FBI and charged, indicates a huge failure of leadership at best, outright criminal involvement by senior officials at worst. Sheriff Bacca should resign immediately to save face and preserve what little integrity is left in the department.

IMO

Do they get dispatched to calls? Our state system basically has the sheriff's in charge of the prisoners and prisoners and that's it. They are "sworn officers" and they do have arrest powers but restrictions on motor vehicle laws. They don't get dispatched to calls or patrol anything but a very tiny area directly around the jail.

I am aware that a lot of other states/counties utilize sheriffs deputies as actual "peace officers". But there is a distinction and a difference. Not sure which one this is. I was under the impression its like my system since there is already an LAPD that patrols. I may be wrong if so I stand corrected.

Again these guys were in the jail not peace officers that were arrested as the op was eluding to. And again kudos to FBI for catching whoever it is or where ever they work

onus

They are not correctional officers. They are Los Angeles County sheriff deputies.

They carry guns. They can arrest people. They go on street patrol.

WalkingWolf

Ohhh Christ, now he is trying to make excuses for LEO's caught in the act of violating rights. Not only showing what type of person he is, but breaking the rules of the site by condoning and advocating illegal acts.

Clue! It doesn't matter where and how they violated the rights, just that they did, that it was unlawful and unconstitutional, and may they all burn in he!!.

onus

Most people in LA County jails are NOT criminals. They have been arrested and are awaiting trial.

Primus

They are not correctional officers. They are Los Angeles County sheriff deputies.

They carry guns. They can arrest people. They go on street patrol.

I understand onus. Again from the sorry this was an investigation into the guys in the jail who were working as correctional officers. It states the abuses were on prisoners and they were also charged mainly with obstruction for not letting said prisoners speak with FBI. Again I agree they should be charged.

You failed to answer if you were alluding to police being the armed gang that you videotape.

I get it. This is the usual posting of stories to show le in a bad light and you worded it as such. As I tried to explain corrections officers are different then police officers. Emn was nice enough to correct me and stated they do work as police sometimes. I accepted that correction from him.

Primus

IMO

Thanks for the correction. I checked their website and it shows they are contracted by certain towns to provide law enforcement as well as providing correctional facilities.

I stand corrected and still agree the FBI did a good job.

WalkingWolf

Most people in LA County jails are NOT criminals. They have been arrested and are awaiting trial.

It doesn't matter, the rights of every person in the US has to be honored and respected. My point is, if it is excused for any group such antics, it will make it's way to others.

onus

. It states the abuses were on prisoners and they were also charged mainly with obstruction for not letting said prisoners speak with FBI. Again I agree they should be charged.

damn, you sure are a cop. your warped cop brain doesn't allow you to see the truth. you forgot to mention the vicious beatings, the smuggling of drugs and communication devices and a bunch of other offenses by the armed criminal street gang.

Primus

damn, you sure are a cop. your warped cop brain doesn't allow you to see the truth. you forgot to mention the vicious beatings, the smuggling of drugs and communication devices and a bunch of other offenses by the armed criminal street gang.

Sorry onus I sincerely apologize for not posting every offense they are charged with. We agree that the FBI (another larger street gang maybe?) Investigated then and charged them accordingly. Less bad apples around. So if we agree why the hostilities? (Warped brain comment)

PALO

In california, some sheriff offices run the jails and have both correctional deputies and patrol deputies. LASO is like that. I looked into applying while in college and found out I'd have to work in the jail for 18 months iircBEFORE getting to work street patrol. That was enough for me to say "screw that". They MAY have different titles and even commissions when they work in the jail before hitting the street (like a limited commission). Not sure if that's case there or not. Other agencies have totally seperate career tracks. You can apply as a jailer/corrections deputy or as a street patrol deputy. They have different applications test/process, different commissions, different requirements, etc. Where I live up in WA, it's totally different. While the jail function HISTORICALLY has fallen upon the county sheriff, it does not work that way up here. the jails are run by (I live near Seattle) King County Jail, which is a county agency, but TOTALLY seperate from the sheriff office. the Sheriff's office here does not do any work inside the jai whatsoever. I am prettty sure that it is also the case in Pierce county.

Most Peace Officers I know , who actually work the street, etc. differentiate themselves from jailers, although in agencies where they switch back and forth, mebbe not so much. Here in WA, I am PRETTY sure that our jailers do not even have arrest powers while off duty, and only limited ones while on duty (like within the jail).

When I lived back in MA, the sheriff office served PURELY as jailers and served a civil function (subpoenas etc.) They did not do any sort of patrol whatsoever and MA has no unincorporated areas anyway. We did not consider the jailers to be "cops".

Jailers are unique vs. correctional officers. in that the former work with people MANY of whom have not been convicted of a crime. some are pre-trial detentions, etc and even stuff like witnesses (a witness on a material witness warrant gets arrested and placed in jail. I've written two MW warrants in my career. pretty rare)

That being said, I certainly hope IF the deputies are dirty, that they are exposed and punished proportionally to the offense(s) and if one or all are clean, I hope they are found not guilty and also exonerated. (not guilty doesn't mean innocent, but sometimes the DA will exonerate and refer to former defendants as INNOCENT a la the Duke lACROSSE "RAPE" TRIAL)

I don't want to work with corrupt officers, and I've testified before internal affairs on a prior occasion when I witnessed an act of excessive force. I can say that in my entire career, I have only witnessed one CLEAR cut act of excessive force by a coworker

i saw some that i did not agree with morally tactically and as an example of discretion, but they were w/in policy. the one i testified on, guy got 3 days, first offense and no problems since.

good officers can sometimes screw up vis a vis force. it doe4snt mean they are cruel or bullies UNLESS the excess is a pattern or an intentional decision

when local business people go to our citizen academy, that gives them a good scientific and realistic understanding of force ime.

most laypublic ime have a very distorted opinion of how often force is used on average etc. i posted an article the other day that showed that NYPD in 2010 had an ASTOUNDINGLY low use of deadly force, for instance. a few dozen shootings in a year, in a huge city, with 35k officers. basically one tenth of one percent were involved with using deadly force and that is a MUCH lower incidence than in the past. At points in the 70's, it was 5, 6 times as frequent. Granted crime was worse back then, but not THAT much worse. modern policing has made outstanding strides in improving in this area.

i've seen 5 guys in my dept. in the last few years get charged with assault. 4 were acquitted , correctly so imnsho

1 got a hung jury (twice) but imo should have been found guilty

good cops don't want to work with corrupt, cruel, cowardly or incompetent cops. Fortunately, ime they are few and far between.

Primus

In california, some sheriff offices run the jails and have both correctional deputies and patrol deputies. LASO is like that. I looked into applying while in college and found out I'd have to work in the jail for 18 months iircBEFORE getting to work street patrol. That was enough for me to say "screw that". They MAY have different titles and even commissions when they work in the jail before hitting the street (like a limited commission). Not sure if that's case there or not. Other agencies have totally seperate career tracks. You can apply as a jailer/corrections deputy or as a street patrol deputy. They have different applications test/process, different commissions, different requirements, etc. Where I live up in WA, it's totally different. While the jail function HISTORICALLY has fallen upon the county sheriff, it does not work that way up here. the jails are run by (I live near Seattle) King County Jail, which is a county agency, but TOTALLY seperate from the sheriff office. the Sheriff's office here does not do any work inside the jai whatsoever. I am prettty sure that it is also the case in Pierce county.

Most Peace Officers I know , who actually work the street, etc. differentiate themselves from jailers, although in agencies where they switch back and forth, mebbe not so much. Here in WA, I am PRETTY sure that our jailers do not even have arrest powers while off duty, and only limited ones while on duty (like within the jail).

When I lived back in MA, the sheriff office served PURELY as jailers and served a civil function (subpoenas etc.) They did not do any sort of patrol whatsoever and MA has no unincorporated areas anyway. We did not consider the jailers to be "cops".

Jailers are unique vs. correctional officers. in that the former work with people MANY of whom have not been convicted of a crime. some are pre-trial detentions, etc and even stuff like witnesses (a witness on a material witness warrant gets arrested and placed in jail. I've written two MW warrants in my career. pretty rare)

That being said, I certainly hope IF the deputies are dirty, that they are exposed and punished proportionally to the offense(s) and if one or all are clean, I hope they are found not guilty and also exonerated. (not guilty doesn't mean innocent, but sometimes the DA will exonerate and refer to former defendants as INNOCENT a la the Duke lACROSSE "RAPE" TRIAL)

I don't want to work with corrupt officers, and I've testified before internal affairs on a prior occasion when I witnessed an act of excessive force. I can say that in my entire career, I have only witnessed one CLEAR cut act of excessive force by a coworker

i saw some that i did not agree with morally tactically and as an example of discretion, but they were w/in policy. the one i testified on, guy got 3 days, first offense and no problems since.

good officers can sometimes screw up vis a vis force. it doe4snt mean they are cruel or bullies UNLESS the excess is a pattern or an intentional decision

when local business people go to our citizen academy, that gives them a good scientific and realistic understanding of force ime.

most laypublic ime have a very distorted opinion of how often force is used on average etc. i posted an article the other day that showed that NYPD in 2010 had an ASTOUNDINGLY low use of deadly force, for instance. a few dozen shootings in a year, in a huge city, with 35k officers. basically one tenth of one percent were involved with using deadly force and that is a MUCH lower incidence than in the past. At points in the 70's, it was 5, 6 times as frequent. Granted crime was worse back then, but not THAT much worse. modern policing has made outstanding strides in improving in this area.

i've seen 5 guys in my dept. in the last few years get charged with assault. 4 were acquitted , correctly so imnsho

1 got a hung jury (twice) but imo should have been found guilty

good cops don't want to work with corrupt, cruel, cowardly or incompetent cops. Fortunately, ime they are few and far between.

+1

sudden valley gunner

It doesn't matter, the rights of every person in the US has to be honored and respected. My point is, if it is excused for any group such antics, it will make it's way to others.

Serial killers often start on animals first. ;) Makes me wonder why some would work so hard to dehumanize people.

Hi Wall of post.

Here in Whatcom the Jail is ran by the Sheriff department and there has been complaints of abuse and misconduct. The lying violent sacks Deputy VanderVeen and Freeman should have been fired instead they are relegated to the jail.