• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

need source for statistics for OC vs CC

jrob33

I am trying to find a good source for the numbers of people attacked and injured or killed while carrying concealed, vs people who were carrying openly. Yes I realize there are almost no incidents for those OCing. but I'd like the stats for a discussion on another site.

I've tried searching it and all I'm coming up with are scattered random articles, Ideally I'd like to compare the numbers within one state over the past 5 years or so.

EMNofSeattle

I am trying to find a good source for the numbers of people attacked and injured or killed while carrying concealed, vs people who were carrying openly. Yes I realize there are almost no incidents for those OCing. but I'd like the stats for a discussion on another site.

I've tried searching it and all I'm coming up with are scattered random articles, Ideally I'd like to compare the numbers within one state over the past 5 years or so.

I don't think anyone tabulates such a statistic.

One attacks on both are rare.

Two you would need at least two groups, an OC group, a CC group, and a control group. You would need to insure all groups are similarity situated, in terms of income, neighborhood, age etc.

Of course for a statistical study you also need to determine how many people actually carry a gun frequently, and your study needs to define "frequently"

There is so many factors in this, and of course attacks on both are exceedingly rare, in fact attacks on people who don't carry guns are rare for that matter.

Basically it's such a specialized statistic that no one tabulates it, and it would be incredibly complicated to make your own statistic, at least if the statistic has to be credible. If you are arguing a CC only guy, it suffices to say, attacks on open carriers are so rare no one bothers to keep statistics

jrob33

well i didnt dare hope to have enough for control groups etc, but wass hoping for something along the lines of "in 2012 X amount of people were assaulted while carrying a concealed weapon in (insert state) i didnt have alot of hope but figured it it was out there this would be the place to ask. I am half surprised that the anti gunners havent compiled those stats in an attempt to show that CC doesnt work.

OC for ME

Anti-gunners would not touch that type of study, it is kryptonite to them. The use of a lawfully possessed and lawfully justified use (discharged or not) of a firearm for self defense is the last stat the anti-gunners want out on the local or national news. What, 2 million or some such number, anyway, it is way up there.

Though, the liberal news media would likely never run that story anyway.

Primus

Anti-gunners would not touch that type of study, it is kryptonite to them. The use of a lawfully possessed and lawfully justified use (discharged or not) of a firearm for self defense is the last stat the anti-gunners want out on the local or national news. What, 2 million or some such number, anyway, it is way up there.

Though, the liberal news media would likely never run that story anyway.

I agree. I wonder why the pro 2a side hasnt produced the numbers either though. Its physical lay possible especially with the millions that are spent just in lobbying. You figure they'd spend a couple grand to get this study done then publish it. Let the conservative media run the story and put it to bed. Then we could change minds and votes by showing numbers in our favor .

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

OC for ME

I suspect that your solution would indeed lay the issue to rest. But, as was stated or implied earlier, the numbers are very hard to quantify. Though, the media does like, for some strange and likely perverted reason, to highlight that the shooter had a concealed weapon/handgun/carry permit/license/endorsement if a actual discharge in the course of a SD incident occurs. I can only speculate as how that little tidbit is perceived by the viewing/listening public. I know I ascribe lawful intent to the shooter even though he did not cross all the 't's' and dot all the "i's" and must answer for any misjudgements.

It ain't fair and it only proves the point that you had better be dead sure in your own mind that you were justified cuz some prosecutor is gunna want to nail you if he can.

Fortunately cops tend to see the facts and not ascribe intent to those factst. Cops get paid to deliver unto the state the facts and then the prosecutor can distort them as much as he pleases, if he pleases. Though, and again, most prosecutors will not try to burn a LAC for doing what he thought at the time he had to do, most SD cases are pretty obvious and merit nothing more than a 10 second news blip.....no charges filed says the prosecutor, this is good.

WalkingWolf

A study or experiment cannot be done without inventing incidents to collect data. That is just common sense.

What is out there is the actual events or lack of events, the latter being all the proof needed.