• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constantly taking photographs STOPS our brains remembering what happened

OC for ME

I had to think about this one for a minute and find myself agreeing with the premise and the conclusions of the researchers.....but, this is just me.

Despite helping to record events, photos could damage our memories
Researchers found people who take pictures have trouble remembering what actually happened
This phenomenon has been dubbed 'photo-taking impairment effect'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...a-stops-brains-recalling-crucial-details.html
How is this OC related? Well, and this could be a really big stretch, I am guessing that I need to ditch the video recording and go with a audio recording only. I've been getting lazy and I think my subconscious mind is relying on the video to do my remembering for me. But, when OCing, a video recording will counter my faulty memory because the camera holds no bias.

A dilemma I am have with myself it seems.

Anyway, I do realize now that when I take a photo of my older son in a wrestling match I find it difficult to remember the exact scene and must go to the photo to recreate the moment in my mind's eye.

jfslicer

Years ago I discovered that video recordings are as biased as another person standing nearby and watching the scene unfold. They are, obviously, better at remembering the details than most people would be, but none the less they record information differently (at times) then what really occurred. The story that lead me to believe this is as follows:

A friend of mine and I agreed to by pepper sprayed for compensation. My friends thought this was terribly hilarious and made sure to video tape the event. Two of the people present were MP's in the airforce and had experience with Pepper Spray. On the day of the event, Isaac and I stood side by side as our other friend sprayed us both in the face. My plan to thwart the Pepper Spray was to keep my eyes closed. Isaac went to the ground immediately (as he was worried about what would happen when the pain kicked in), but I remained on my feet. After a short time, I heard on of my friends yell "Hit him again! Hit him again!" I became worried that would happen and opened my eyes to avoid being sprayed again. An orange ooze filled my vision and the pain was immediate. I hit the ground. Skipping ahead to my point… if you watch the video, you will see the events unfold in a different order. You will see me hit the ground right before he yells "Hit him again! Hit him again!"

It is important to remember when watching homemade videos the sequencing of events may be slightly off due to the delay in sound.

eye95

How is this OC related? Well, and this could be a really big stretch, I am guessing that I need to ditch the video recording and go with a audio recording only. I've been getting lazy and I think my subconscious mind is relying on the video to do my remembering for me. But, when OCing, a video recording will counter my faulty memory because the camera holds no bias.

A dilemma I am have with myself it seems.

Anyway, I do realize now that when I take a photo of my older son in a wrestling match I find it difficult to remember the exact scene and must go to the photo to recreate the moment in my mind's eye.

The study seemed to focus on taking a picture or observing, not taking pictures as part of observing. That is not a problem is you are passively videoing. Active videoing will probably have the same problem as taking pictures--too narrow a focus. Instead of taking it all in and being able to readily change focus, when taking pictures, you tend focus in one direction to the exclusion of all else, while your brain works on taking a good picture, and not on the subject of the photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

Good points so far. For me, it seems that me just knowing I am video recording, impacts my memory.....or I could be just your average "dense-not-paying-attention-wrapped-up-in-X" citizen. Not taking time to stop and smell the roses if you will. Maybe I'm too focused on not being the next victim because I strap on a gat, who knows. I gotta work on this.....and maybe take a day off every now and then.

onus

Many of the police encounters I have are high stress. Many times I get home and review video and what happens in the video isn't exactly like how I remember it.

The video tells the truth. Humans brains and memories don't.

JustaShooter

Years ago I discovered that video recordings are as biased as another person standing nearby and watching the scene unfold. They are, obviously, better at remembering the details than most people would be, but none the less they record information differently (at times) then what really occurred. The story that lead me to believe this is as follows:

A friend of mine and I agreed to by pepper sprayed for compensation. My friends thought this was terribly hilarious and made sure to video tape the event. Two of the people present were MP's in the airforce and had experience with Pepper Spray. On the day of the event, Isaac and I stood side by side as our other friend sprayed us both in the face. My plan to thwart the Pepper Spray was to keep my eyes closed. Isaac went to the ground immediately (as he was worried about what would happen when the pain kicked in), but I remained on my feet. After a short time, I heard on of my friends yell "Hit him again! Hit him again!" I became worried that would happen and opened my eyes to avoid being sprayed again. An orange ooze filled my vision and the pain was immediate. I hit the ground. Skipping ahead to my point… if you watch the video, you will see the events unfold in a different order. You will see me hit the ground right before he yells "Hit him again! Hit him again!"

It is important to remember when watching homemade videos the sequencing of events may be slightly off due to the delay in sound.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to say it is your memory that is off, not the video / audio. Speed of sound is about 1,100 ft/s (varies slightly depending on altitude, pressure, etc. but close enough). For this, we can figure the speed of light as effectively instantaneous. So, for there to be enough time for the video to show you hit the ground before the words "hit him again! hit him again!" were recorded, the video recorder would have had to be far enough away from you and your friend for the video to reach the recorder before the audio was (half second?) plus the time it took you to drop (1/10th second?) - call it a half second for everything and that's still 550 feet. Even if everything could happen in a 1/10th of a second, that means the video recorder would have had to be over 100 feet farther away from you than your friend shouting the words.

Video doesn't lie.

OC for ME

Video does not tell the story. Sound, on the other hand is a 360 degree element. The camera can "hear" but it may not be able to "see." Thus the camera may be able to tell a story, that is either fiction, or non-fiction. A separate observer or camera is needed to see what the first camera did not see.....ad infinitum et ultra.....sort of.

Hint:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Despite helping to record events, photos could damage our memories
Researchers found people who take pictures have trouble remembering what actually happened
This phenomenon has been dubbed 'photo-taking impairment effect'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...l-details.html

Oh, jeezus, what a buncha ivory-tower FUD. I hope no tax victims had to pay for that study.

It doesn't take a degree or research to figure this one out.

The students had trouble remembering the object because their attention wasn't on the object. Their attention was on taking the picture. I'll bet every one of those students would have little trouble remembering taking the picture of the statue, centering the frame, checking the photo after the snap, etc.

Jeezus what a bunch of frauds. Just tell people to also look at the statue a bit.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped & somewhat OT-- After a short time, I heard on of my friends yell "Hit him again! Hit him again!" I became worried that would happen and opened my eyes to avoid being sprayed again. An orange ooze filled my vision and the pain was immediate. I hit the ground. Skipping ahead to my point… if you watch the video, you will see the events unfold in a different order. You will see me hit the ground right before he yells "Hit him again! Hit him again!"
In most instances, it is recommended (mandated?) that OC or CS gas be directed to the center of the chest - spraying directly into the face/eyes is a No-No.