• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.357 Magnum Revolver Christmas Gift for son

Sir Diealotz

Correct; Ruger GP100. For some reason I have Remington stuck in the brain LOL!

And I have a S&W 22A for training purposes.

EMNofSeattle

We went shopping Saturday and handled many different revolvers and he still wants the Rossi 971. They had a Ruger GP100 for $100 more and I tried to talk him into the GP100 but he still wants the Rossi. I even offered him one of my new Berettas and he still wants the Rossi.

So after work today I'm going to stop by and pick up the Rossi 971. I know...... but that's what HE wants and not what I want.

Thanks for the advice guys.

FYI: Used Ruger GP100 for $400 and the Rossi is like new for $300 (Only been fired 7 times and it shows, looks brand new)

Can't say I blame him, the rossi looks nicer, the GP 100 is the glock of the revolver world....

Sir Diealotz

Well I picked up the Rossi 971 yesterday after work. $318 out the door with a box of .357 magnum ammo. He also has a new Smith & Wesson 686 .357 magnum… Now I want a revolver… I just knew this was going to cost me more in the end.

I’ll resist temptation and try to hold off until after Christmas LOL!

WalkingWolf

The 686s are nice guns but are a bit more pricey then the Rossi

I handled several new 686 during my last quest for a new handgun. I was completely turned off of S&W by the poor workmanship on their new firearms. Some had overly wide BC gap, all the actions were gritty, and stiff, not what should be expected from S&W. If I buy another new DA revolver I would get a Ruger, replace the springs, and if real concerned about the looks have it polished to mirror bright.

One of the new Smith 29's I looked at had a BC of .010, not acceptable at all for a new gun.

Damn shame Colt stopped making DA revolvers. Maybe someday in the future a company will make a quality clone.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Just out of curiosity I looked at some Colt Pythons on gunbroker and OUCH! They are expensive!

Yea it is a shame, I passed on 10 pythons in the late 70's~~Big mistake on my part.

So far the only Colt clone I have seen is the RI 200 and 206. They have good reviews but they are no where near a python, the frame they are built on is the D frame(detective, and police positive). As reviews come out the price of them keeps rising, originally one could be bought for 175, now they are over 200. They are 38 spl only though. Hopefully RI branches out more and starts building the larger frame Colt clones.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The several K and L frames I have, have nice triggers not a target job but then one could smooth them more if one wanted.

The best target Smiths were normally worked on by a good pistol smith and those tended to be very nice. Same with the Pythons I have handled were very nice also.

Out of the several Ruger double actions I own most came with a decent trigger like the Smiths. One Red Hawk I brought could compare with a lot of target guns.

Any one of them can be worked on by a good trigger man and you can get a really nice trigger out of them.

I would agree that it was easier to find a better trigger on a stock smith years ago but one can still get them with some work.

WalkingWolf

The several K and L frames I have, have nice triggers not a target job but then one could smooth them more if one wanted.

The best target Smiths were normally worked on by a good pistol smith and those tended to be very nice. Same with the Pythons I have handled were very nice also.

Out of the several Ruger double actions I own most came with a decent trigger like the Smiths. One Red Hawk I brought could compare with a lot of target guns.

Any one of them can be worked on by a good trigger man and you can get a really nice trigger out of them.

I would agree that it was easier to find a better trigger on a stock smith years ago but one can still get them with some work.

Most of the smiths I had, well all of them, were excellent out of the box. But that was a lot of years ago. I have something against paying over a grand for a gun and have to have a trigger job done. Let alone the wide BC gaps that some smiths have, they really need to get their poop together. Or Ruger will hurt the heck out of them. IMO Ruger is a all around better firearm, except they need trigger work also, usually just a change of springs. But they are no where as expensive as Smiths.

They are lucky that Taurus has so many quality control issues, or they would hurt Smith also. I have put a RI 200 on my wish list for after Xmass, they have nothing but good reviews, and the trigger is one area that they have a good rep. And at well under 300 bucks. For that I have no problem taking one apart and rust bluing it into a good looking gun. Plus Colt wood grips will fit them, as well as Colt Pachmeyer grips.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I own more Rugers then Smiths and I believe they are a tougher gun for sure.

The Smiths before the 1970s had very good triggers but a good pistol smith could even improve them the PPC guns that some of them made were just amazing.

RI200 Good luck write up a review when you shot 500 or so rounds through it.

bunnspecial

I bought a first model Colt Trooper 357 about a month back. It's the same frame(I frame) and same action as the Python, although without the barrel underlug and top rib, and also without as much fine tuning as Python. Even so, the trigger is great(both SA and DA) and it locks up as you expect a Colt to do.

Python prices, as you've noticed, as now in the stratosphere and as a side effect have brought a lot of lesser model Colts up with them. I spent about as much for my Trooper as I probably would have for a similar condition Python 10 years ago.

These are certainly guns to keep an eye out for. By the way, the Trooper Mark III and Trooper Mark V(as well as the King Cobra, which is based on the Trooper Mark V)have actions that are distinctly different from the E/I frame Colts. Specifically, the E/I frame uses a "V" shaped mainspring whereas the Mark III and later use a coil spring. The later action is probably a little bit more durable, but not as smooth as the V spring. The Detective Special, Police Positive Special, and Diamondback all use a smaller version of the V spring action, although the DS-II, SF-VI, and Magnum Carry have coil spring actions.

As far as Rugers go-the only one I've owned was an SP-101. It smoothed up considerably with dry firing and some careful smoothing of the rough edges inside with 2000 grit sandpaper. Even though the trigger was smooth, I never could quite get used to the double action pull.

I have shot a friends Armscorp 200. It was a nice shooting gun, but there were several failures to fire with Winchester White Box ammo. The FTFs showed(in some cases) multiple very light strikes, and all of the "duds" went off the first time every time my S&W 64 that I was shooting that day. I have no idea if that was an isolated problem with that particular gun, or if it's a common problem, but is possibly something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I bought a first model Colt Trooper 357 about a month back. It's the same frame(I frame) and same action as the Python, although without the barrel underlug and top rib, and also without as much fine tuning as Python. Even so, the trigger is great(both SA and DA) and it locks up as you expect a Colt to do.

Python prices, as you've noticed, as now in the stratosphere and as a side effect have brought a lot of lesser model Colts up with them. I spent about as much for my Trooper as I probably would have for a similar condition Python 10 years ago.

These are certainly guns to keep an eye out for. By the way, the Trooper Mark III and Trooper Mark V(as well as the King Cobra, which is based on the Trooper Mark V)have actions that are distinctly different from the E/I frame Colts. Specifically, the E/I frame uses a "V" shaped mainspring whereas the Mark III and later use a coil spring. The later action is probably a little bit more durable, but not as smooth as the V spring. The Detective Special, Police Positive Special, and Diamondback all use a smaller version of the V spring action, although the DS-II, SF-VI, and Magnum Carry have coil spring actions.

As far as Rugers go-the only one I've owned was an SP-101. It smoothed up considerably with dry firing and some careful smoothing of the rough edges inside with 2000 grit sandpaper. Even though the trigger was smooth, I never could quite get used to the double action pull.

I have shot a friends Armscorp 200. It was a nice shooting gun, but there were several failures to fire with Winchester White Box ammo. The FTFs showed(in some cases) multiple very light strikes, and all of the "duds" went off the first time every time my S&W 64 that I was shooting that day. I have no idea if that was an isolated problem with that particular gun, or if it's a common problem, but is possibly something to keep in mind.

With a low end mass produced gun like the Armscorp it is possible to get a gun needing repairs. Though this is the first I have heard of that problem and I have looked at a lot of reviews. It sounds like the hammer spring is too weak in his, or he has a short FP. Of course though I have heard much worse about Taurus revolvers and they are double the price. If I get one, I will test it fully before polishing and refinishing.

I would love to own a colt trooper, or even a official police. I am not a big 357 fan for self defense. I much prefer a accurate 38 spl. If I want more punch for SD I would go with a 44 special instead. 357 is a good hunting round, but one does not need a double action for hunting, IMO.

Right now I am carrying a Pietta 1873 44 mag, it is loaded with 44 special loads, though they are warm. For now I am using a 38 spl DA Rossi for my bug. Until I either get the Armscorp 200 or a CA Bulldog. I really am not a big fan of snub nose 38's either, I prefer a 4 to 3 inch, 2.5 at minimum. The Bulldog is 2.5, I will probably end up with the 200, unless I can get a good price on a police positive in good shape.