• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Town Muni Office in temp space - Landlord posts No CHL Guns Allowed - Legal?

HPmatt

Went down for a meeting at our Town Government temporary offices today - the Town Hall is being renovated.
First time I'd been there - they are renting office space inside town limits in a private office building.
Landlord has prominently displayed sign at the front door stating guns, including CHL permit holders are NOT allowed inside.

Not a Texas lawyer but what is legal standing here? Texas Law says I can carry into my Town offices, except police area.
Private landlord says keep guns out of his building?

Was thinking I would call up the Town attorney and inquire further.
Looks to me like the Town should have included it in their lease that they allow legal guns on property.
Will further ask if Police have to disarm before entering building if not responding to a call - looks to me like they violate building owners prohibition.

rushcreek2

TPC Section 46.035 - Unlawful carrying of handgun by license holder.

(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed

AT ANY MEETING OF A GOVERNMENT ENTITY.

Note that this section says "...at any MEETING....", and NOT - "....at any meeting PLACE....".

HPmatt

Well I saw the building notice and left my firearm secured in the car, so dodged the carry of firearm to a government meeting of TPC 46.035 (6)(c).

Building owner's sign does not comply w 30.06, so guess that is not deemed legal notice.

Also looks like under TPC 30.06 (3)(e) there is a carve-out that 30.06 does not apply if the property you are on 'is owned or leased by a governmental entity' and isn't a school, court, execution site or government meeting, usw.

So I guess it is okay to carry to the Town offices to visit with town employees, but not attend town meetings.

stealthyeliminator

Texas law is convoluted.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

stealthyeliminator

And would seem to REQUIRE the carrier to prove that they did not received "effective notice under Sections 30.06" instead of the State proving that the carrier HAD!

I take it to mean that it puts those places in the same boat as everywhere else, same boat as every other non-prohibited place. For instance, it'd be the same as walking into Walmart with your concealed handgun. No 30.06 sign? Walk on in. I'm pretty sure the burden of proof would remain, as it should, on the prosecution.