• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Section 30 of NC Constitution

solus

interesting headline and read in the Ashville Citizen Times on 6 December...Concealed carry laws run afoul of NC Constitution?

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20131207/OPINION02/131206014

followed by WRAL's anti firearm rant located at: https://www.wral.com/gun-rights-groups-monitor-new-nc-law/13170083/

but the kicker is when you actually read section 30 of the NC state Constitution at http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Legislation/constitution/ncconstitution.html which states in the last sentence:

quote Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice. unquote

interesting point for GRNC President, et al., to ponder as he pushes his organization's conceal carry banner and agenda to the GA...

ipse

Last edited:

Chief1297

Since when do words have meaning to liberals? They dont get "Shall not" or "infringed", they cant even figure out the definition of "is". I know the meaning of words and nothing I have seen or read leads me to believe that concealed carry runs afoul of the NC Constitution. Of course, this doesn t mean a liberal will not interpret it that way.

WalkingWolf

The most important part is that "enacting penal statutes"

The concealed carry laws fall into that place. The constitution does not outlaw concealed carry itself, it gives that power to the GA. But the GA can only regulate and outlaw concealed carry, not open carry, but the state has.

The NC constitution protects open carry, but the GA and those supposed rights groups are gradually trying to outlaw unlicensed OC.

LiberTarHeel

The NC constitution protects open carry, but the GA and those supposed rights groups are gradually trying to outlaw unlicensed OC.

I am not disagreeing, rather seeking information: how is the General Assembly trying to outlaw Open Carry; and which "supposed rights groups" are doing so, and how?

Editorial:

In my humble opinion, Concealed Carry is an idea fraught with danger, as currently implemented in this and other states, in that it's licensing a right, pure and simple. That sticks in my craw.

And, in this state at least, there is no state affirmation of the right to carry openly; it's all very vague and shadowed. That makes me nervous also. Granted, there is one aging court decision that narrowly 'affirms' the right, but we all know how courts giveth and taketh away.

American Patriot

The most important part is that "enacting penal statutes"

The concealed carry laws fall into that place. The constitution does not outlaw concealed carry itself, it gives that power to the GA. But the GA can only regulate and outlaw concealed carry, not open carry, but the state has.

What the CHP does is regulate the conceal carry; ONLY.

WalkingWolf

What the CHP does is regulate the conceal carry; ONLY.

What the CHP does as of this year gives special privileges to CHP holders that are stripped from OC carriers. No where did I say CHP directly had anything to do with OC. But laws have been enacted that infringe on the right to OC, even though we have a NC supreme court decision. The NC GA and GRNC only care about extending extra privileges to CHP holders. In time all the GA has to do is continue to restrict OC to any place that sells alcohol, and it will have essentially stripped OC. There are already a few states that have done this. Be aware GRNC makes it's money from CHP training and have every intention to infringe on our rights.