• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using Children To Pass Gun Laws Is Grotesque And Childish

OC for ME

From Jan of 2013, but still relevant.
Parents are often asked by their children to solve unsolvable problems. When woken by nightmares, my daughter seeks reassurance that bad dreams won’t return when she closes her eyes again. I offer a fresh pillow, inviting her to think that somehow it will foster only happy visions.

If I cajoled them to, my kids could scratch out some tear-jerking pleas for the President to put an end to nightmares, lost stuffed animals, and illnesses of all kinds. Yet that really shouldn’t be the impetuous for nation-altering legislation. Grown-ups—including politicians—may have a duty to offer children reassurance after a trauma, but we cannot pretend that we have the power to wipe bad things out of existence.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carriel...n-to-pass-gun-laws-is-grotesque-and-childish/
The libs never miss an opportunity to drag kids into thier arguments.

eye95

And the laws they have already passed created the circumstances that make Newtowns possible. The blood of those children are on their hands as well as those of the shooter.

RK3369

because..........

From Jan of 2013, but still relevant.The libs never miss an opportunity to drag kids into thier arguments.

who except a complete idiot, could possibly want to go against anything that could keep kids from being hurt??????????? Very strong image causing those exposed to think that they may and should do something to prevent harm coming to children. But it's just subliminal advertising. If you take away the emotion from the argument, you can deal with the facts. But those who don't want to deal with or accept the facts will use any possible device to make their point. Passing stronger gun control laws would not have saved the Newtown children unless AR rifles were completely banned, and the SCOTUS has pretty much already decided that issue in the Heller decision, I think. Adam Lanza's mother bought and kept the rifle he used in complete compliance with the law. What might have helped is if the state of Connecticut had increased their capability to deal with those who have mental problems and need care.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Simply turn the argument on them IF they try to use the "think of the children" argument first:

"What kind of a monster would pass laws that would render the children and their parents defenseless against depraved murderers?"

Follow up with:
"When the next door neighbors had X happen to their child, we made sure to teach our children how to be safe when handling/using Z." (suggestion: use matches or a Swiss Army knife as "Z")

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

" The State must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the People as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation" ( Adolph Hitler ).

Best regards.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why were several quotes dropped during the re-ordering of the quotes? I'm specifically talking about:

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.

I didn't want to revert all the changes, but could the person who revised it re-add the missing quotes or explain why they were removed? --Spatz 18:32, 12 December 2008 (UTC)

That quote in particular is apparently from the Ralph Manheim translation (ISBN 0395078016). Page 403 of the 1943 version. What I would like, is for someone to go to a library and make a photocopy/scan of that page, so we finally have proof that it's really in there. And to check out which chapter it's in, so we can add it to the Mein Kampf article. --82.171.70.54 22:38, 13 December 2008 (UTC)

You can search the Ralph Manheim translation on Google Books and the quote doesn't appear to be there (or in any edition): see here. This doesn't appear to be a real quote. Morish 14:36, 7 December 2009 (UTC)
Update: logicalriot on reddit pointed me to this post which shows that it's actually a manufactured quote derived from a passage in a fictional letter written by Rabbi Daniel Lapin in 2004. So it's fake; end of story. Morish 17:20, 7 December 2009 (UTC)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Mein_Kampf

Seems like Hitler never actual said this....

The State must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the People as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation" ( Adolph Hitler )

Last edited:

eye95

There is an interesting discussion of the quote on WikiQuote: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Mein_Kampf . It seems that Hitler did not write those words. He wrote something similar to the first part as part of a longer bit on eugenics.

On edit: As I was posting this, someone beat me to it, and even quoted the wiki. Kudos.

There are so many mythological quotes on the 'Net that I try to research every quote before I post it.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journa...Gun-Violence-Story-For-Sandy-Hook-Anniversary

[h=1]Washington Post Crowdsources 'Gun Violence' Stories for Sandy Hook Anniversary[/h]

Here's an idea, you guys judge for yourselves:

Take a picture of yourself holding at chest level your holstered handgun and a poster board with "___ times this saved me." (Granted, it was the user, not the gun in and of itself and we can split hairs and individual molecules some other time but please, let us stick to the main point of this thread)

Smile, and maybe even have the wife in the photo.
Maybe the latest addition to your family clan?:)

It's non political, non-discriminatory, and it's your "gun number." :lol:
Show them that normal people carry, not just the movie types.

Last edited:

eye95

My having removed my firearm from its holster has never saved me. It is impossible to say how many times my choice to wear a gun has saved me or anyone else.

I can say that some children died at Sandy Hook because no one had a gun to defend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>