• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BATF approves of this "full auto" trigger

509rifas

I saw in a book when I was a kid a way to mount an electric toothbrush motor on a pistol inside a briefcase with the switch on the outside to basically do full auto if you press the button. It made me try to think of a motorized something or other that would quickly pull the trigger whilst something else such as a button inside another trigger guard is depressed.

You know if that new trigger is unregulated or do you gotta go through a bunch of federal hoops?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I saw in a book when I was a kid a way to mount an electric toothbrush motor on a pistol inside a briefcase with the switch on the outside to basically do full auto if you press the button. It made me try to think of a motorized something or other that would quickly pull the trigger whilst something else such as a button inside another trigger guard is depressed.

You know if that new trigger is unregulated or do you gotta go through a bunch of federal hoops?

You can buy the new trigger online ... for five hundred smackers ... ouch

tombrewster421

You know, as long as you could make a mechanical device that will assure less than five rounds per second can be fired, it would not be considered a machine gun according to Washington law. I'll have to check out the federal law but if the federal still classifies it as one you'd just need to do the ATF paperwork and get the tax stamp and it would be legal here.

So according to Washington law, a three round burst would be ok to own if that is indeed the case.

(11) "machine gun" means any firearm known as a machine gun, mechanical rifle, submachine gun, or any other mechanism or instrument not requiring that the trigger be pressed for each shot and having a reservoir clip, disc, drum, belt, or other separable mechanical device for storing, carrying, or supplying ammunition which can be loaded into the firearm, mechanism, or instrument, and fired therefrom at the rate of five or more shots per second.

ETA

Looks like the fed is more strict in their definition but I think we should be able to lawfully own a three round burst AR with the proper federal paperwork.

Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger

Last edited:

BrianB

ATF decided that the switch that activates the motor "becomes" the trigger and it's still a machine gun.

amlevin

Years ago they used to sell a crank operated cam assy called the "Activator". Could shoot a 10/22 or AR-15 as fast as you could turn the crank.

Unfortunately you could also exceed the "cyclic rate" of 5 rounds per sec. or 300 rounds per minute.

It's not so much what you "Do" that makes these things illegal, it's what they are "capable of". The M-16 aside from the fact it's Full Auto, because it can fire from 700-900 rounds per minute or well over the 5 rounds per second rate. Again, setting aside the Full Auto issue for a moment, it's PRACTICAL rate of fire (allowing for reloads), is only 150 rounds per minute or if "burst fire", only 90 rounds per minute. In government regulation, the word "PRACTICAL" has no place.

tombrewster421

Years ago they used to sell a crank operated cam assy called the "Activator". Could shoot a 10/22 or AR-15 as fast as you could turn the crank.

Unfortunately you could also exceed the "cyclic rate" of 5 rounds per sec. or 300 rounds per minute.

It's not so much what you "Do" that makes these things illegal, it's what they are "capable of". The M-16 aside from the fact it's Full Auto, because it can fire from 700-900 rounds per minute or well over the 5 rounds per second rate. Again, setting aside the Full Auto issue for a moment, it's PRACTICAL rate of fire (allowing for reloads), is only 150 rounds per minute or if "burst fire", only 90 rounds per minute. In government regulation, the word "PRACTICAL" has no place.

Wouldn't pretty much any semi-auto be able to exceed those rates of fire? A three round burst is not automatically firing more than 5 rounds per second since the trigger must reset to do the next burst. Just as it is with semi-auto, the trigger must be reset.

Jeff Hayes

Wouldn't pretty much any semi-auto be able to exceed those rates of fire? A three round burst is not automatically firing more than 5 rounds per second since the trigger must reset to do the next burst. Just as it is with semi-auto, the trigger must be reset.

Yes but could you not fire several 3 round bursts in under 5 seconds trigger reset and all.

Dave_pro2a

Wouldn't matter if every semi-auto could, because that would be without "one pull of the trigger."