• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now have you had enough of the Nevada Firearms coalition

Vegassteve

This is horrible. http://www.8newsnow.com/story/24177124/weekend-shooting-raises-questions-about-gun-ownership

So now they are training gun store counter people to profile us? It is no one business how I store my firearms.

How does this relate to OC? Because the slippery slope then leads them to ask us about our carry methods and lecture us on that. The times I have said they are as bad as the Brady group are coming true. Sure like to know what stores they are working with so we can avoid them.

EDIT the store is Guns and Ammo Garage. Mark Cole.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So if you don't buy a cleaning kit with the gun, then the indication is that you are planning something bad?

Excuse me, but the kit I already have at home will do just fine.

OC for ME

Ask if the completion of the sale is predicated on answering the questions. If it is, go out and find a gun seller who holds liberty dear.

I'll betcha a dollar to a doughnut that if you call out these commie institutions that they will change their tune. They do not have liberals to fall back on as a customer base. If they receive a "proceed" from the CBC then there is no reason to refuse a sale if the customer's money is good.

Boycott any gun selling business that asks questions beyond "cash, check, debit or credit."

CowboyKen

Ask if the completion of the sale is predicated on answering the questions. If it is, go out and find a gun seller who holds liberty dear.

I'll betcha a dollar to a doughnut that if you call out these commie institutions that they will change their tune. They do not have liberals to fall back on as a customer base. If they receive a "proceed" from the CBC then there is no reason to refuse a sale if the customer's money is good. Boycott any gun selling business that asks questions beyond "cash, check, debit or credit."

The point is this guy represents the NVFAC. They are supposed to be our organization that supports our 2nd amendment rights. They are a fraud.

In a response to the gun control debate that gained national attention after mass shootings and rising numbers in suicides, the Nevada Firearms Coalition teamed up with the state's Office of Suicide Prevention to fix problems in the system.

Mark Cole of the firearms coalition owns a gun store in the Las Vegas valley. Their plan is to teach employees at these stores to spot customers who might harm themselves or others. Those customers would then not be allowed to buy gun.

"I think it will help the industry, give the industry a more positive look," Cole said, "By asking how they are locking their guns up, and if they are locking their guns up. And just get the feeling of what they are doing with the firearm."

Ken

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Question asked, and the anwswer.

Question.

Is this story correct? Is the NVFAC on board with this?

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/241771...-gun-ownership

Answer

They combined two stories for sensationalism.

There is a problem at retail ranges with people renting guns and then committing suicide at the range.

Our program is to help gun store employees be able to identify potential suicide risks and direct them to get professional help and to reduce the rate of gun suicides. 60% of all suicides in western US are males using firearms and the percentage is higher with veterans. This is an example of an industry using its own tools to help with an issue instead of more government regulations.

As usual, the news out lets have to try to slant it.

Don

My take.

I must be missing something here. How did they slant it? Don Turner admits they are behind this program. This "big" problem with renting guns at ranges and pulling the trigger on themselves is new to me. I'm not saying it's never happened but I'll bet there have been a time or two when someone has taken a car for a test drive and slammed it into a tree too.

I have defended the need to support the NVFAC in the past but at that time the issue was that of accomplishments and efforts. Now it is the issue of who's side are they on? I give up. I along with my wife and son will not renew. My money gets a bigger bang for the buck elsewhere.

TBG

CowboyKen

Now Don Turner thinks any gun store commando can "be able to identify potential suicide risks."

It takes years of university level education to qualify as a psychologist. IMO Mr. turner is a fool, and dangerous to himself and others.

Ken

Last edited:

OC for ME

No bashing of other gun groups.

Bash only those gun sellers who practice this crap. When one store is branded then others may reconsider. Just cuz the dude represents the gun group does not mean, as was asked in a question, that the group is going along with the dude.

Vote with your wallet, and pass the word, as required.

Vegassteve

No bashing of other gun groups.

Bash only those gun sellers who practice this crap. When one store is branded then others may reconsider. Just cuz the dude represents the gun group does not mean, as was asked in a question, that the group is going along with the dude.

Vote with your wallet, and pass the word, as required.

Watch the video. It is the gun group doing this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now Don Turner thinks any gun store [strike]commando[/strike] employee can "be able to identify potential suicide risks."

It takes years of university level education to qualify as a psychologist. IMO Mr. turner is a [strike]fool, and dangerous to himself and others[/strike] not so qualified.

Ken

Made some changes - please incorporate these in the future.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Seems to me the focus is in trying to identify someone who is attempting to purchase a firearm for the purpose of harming themself - AKA suicide/attempted suicide. Look for certain tell-tale signs or statements.

Sort of like profiling the person who comes into the LGS asking for the best gun to use to kill the thugs hanging around on the corner of the block, or that will do the most physical damage to thier spouse's head.

Strangly, LGSs are not required to sell to anybody - not even cops or LEAS presenting purchase orders. The fact that "the customer looked hinky" is sufficient reason to refuse the sale.

The presentation of the information is somewhat sensational - but I doubt that the sources consulted or referenced had any control (let alone input) on that.

stay safe.

CowboyKen

Seems to me the focus is in trying to identify someone who is attempting to purchase a firearm for the purpose of harming themself - AKA suicide/attempted suicide. Look for certain tell-tale signs or statements.

Sort of like profiling the person who comes into the LGS asking for the best gun to use to kill the thugs hanging around on the corner of the block, or that will do the most physical damage to thier spouse's head.

Strangly, LGSs are not required to sell to anybody - not even cops or LEAS presenting purchase orders. The fact that "the customer looked hinky" is sufficient reason to refuse the sale.

The presentation of the information is somewhat sensational - but I doubt that the sources consulted or referenced had any control (let alone input) on that.

stay safe.

I for one would really appreciate it if folks who are from other States would stop making excuses for the failures of the Nevada Firearms Coalition.

In their two years of existence they have accomplished exactly ZERO of their stated goals. They have not even made a small effort at most of them.

All that they have done is self promotion (badly at that) of some of the officers. They have been especially ineffective in their legislative activism attempts.

They have failed to accomplish membership and fundraising goals and, it seems, they have wasted the money that they have raised.

This is just one more episode in the joke-fest that is the NVFAC.

Of course, that is just my opinion (some others here in Nevada seem to agree with me).

Ken

solus

forgive the out of state intrusion but...

unfortunately, even mental health professionals who have been appropriately trained in suicide ideation assessment and using validated standard assessment protocols, find they do not always work across the board. there are 'assessment' questions which the subject can respond to but the individual's behaviour and affect is paramount for a mental health professional to define the severity, intensity, lethality, of any persons thoughts and behaviour which could lead the person to ultimately do self-harm to themselves or others.

if this is not the first time presenting ideation, individuals know the 'proper' response to assessment questions and answer with the 'appropriate' answer, thus misdirecting someone from a appropriate diagnosis.

Finally, the mental health profession has one other ace in their back pocket...they can contact the proper authorities and immediately put someone on a three day hold.

sorry but 'reading' someone's ideation is not done by a lay person who is standing over the gun counter 'chatting' a can set of questions.

ipser

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I for one would really appreciate it if folks who are from other States would stop making excuses for the failures of the Nevada Firearms Coalition.

In their two years of existence they have accomplished exactly ZERO of their stated goals. They have not even made a small effort at most of them.

All that they have done is self promotion (badly at that) of some of the officers. They have been especially ineffective in their legislative activism attempts.

They have failed to accomplish membership and fundraising goals and, it seems, they have wasted the money that they have raised.

This is just one more episode in the joke-fest that is the NVFAC.

Of course, that is just my opinion (some others here in Nevada seem to agree with me).

Ken

OCDO does not limit posting to a state sub-forum only to the current residents thereof. We share and learn from each other.

However, the Forum Rules do not allow attacking groups:

• (12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Vegassteve

OCDO does not limit posting to a state sub-forum only to the current residents thereof. We share and learn from each other.

• (12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Then I guess you better lock this thread. Because the one group that claims to represent us is not doing the job. And it is very OC related. Because it is a simple slippery slope to then asking and wanting to deny us a sale based on how we carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Then I guess you better lock this thread. Because the one group that claims to represent us is not doing the job. And it is very OC related. Because it is a simple slippery slope to then asking and wanting to deny us a sale based on how we carry.
Locking a thread for rule violations is a relatively easy task. More difficult is learning how to deal with others with whom you may disagree on a public forum with finesse and a positive style.

Where an organization doesn't meet your standards, don't join, don't support them, maybe (if true) even demonstrate how they hurt the cause of OC; nevertheless there will be no lynchings here.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Where an organization doesn't meet your standards, don't join, don't support them, maybe (if true) even demonstrate how they hurt the cause of OC; nevertheless there will be no lynchings here.

Here ya go. They hurt our cause because we have demonstrated in the past how they continually hold events where we cant carry. They have supported events that are anti carry. They have refused to step up to any of our causes.

And this latest is icing on the cake. We are in Nevada we know better than any if a group is helping our cause or not. And they are not.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I received a email from Don at the NVFAC. It appears there is an unnamed group holding a rally, now it has changed to private property, Not good news for a counter rally IMO. It is my experience that the NVFAC is content with Cheer leading, but will not draw a line in the sand.

We were asked by a counter rally organizer to send you details of a “Moms Demand Action” anti-gun rally that was being held in Las Vegas on December 14 2013.

The rally site has been changed and the counter rally organizer has asked that we send out this correction ASAP.

Here’s where their web site says it is:

WHO: Moms Demand Action Nevada
WHEN: December 14, 2013 5:00 PM
WHERE: Unity Baptist Church
545 Marion Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89110

I am extremely concerned, while I see our community as the answer, (not more laws) This is a great way to lead to an advisory committee (Govs. board on gun safety?) This board will no doubt work closely with the NSCA, while serving as a retirement supplement for bureaucrats, and cops who have yet to have enough of controlling people. This board will be heard above our voices in the Legislature. If you want to know why I think this way, it is because Nevada has an advisory board for motorcycle safety. Motorcycles pay an extra 6 dollars a year for the privilege of being nanny stated to death. They make a recommendation, and the Legislature stamps it... I do not want to see this happen with firearms. we need to stop absorbing guilt for others crimes.