Thread: Fl Carry forces universities to follow the law

Fl Carry forces universities to follow the law

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...WIRE/131219907

Wow, the state sure did take its sweet time.

Those of you in John Thrasher's district should call him and give him a polite thrashing. Man I hate neocons.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...WIRE/131219907

Wow, the state sure did take its sweet time.

Those of you in John Thrasher's district should call him and give him a polite thrashing. Man I hate neocons.

Sen. John Thrasher, R-St. Augustine, said lawmakers may need to step in. He said he does not think people should be able to take guns on college campuses. Thrasher was instrumental two years ago in blocking a proposal to allow guns to be openly carried on campus.

From link above ^^^

I would suggest this anti move 100 miles east .... no guns there ...

The good of the opinion is that if they wanted to pass a law making it clear it would still be a state law and be struck down too.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 12-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.

https://www.floridacarry.org/index.p...ity-of-florida

The lower kourt apparatchik's decision really aggravates me . I work at shands "UF health" and abide by state law as it relates to keeping guns in vehicles on University property and will continue to do so as the chance of being found out and them taking action against me is probably about zero. It's the principle of the thing. Facility "security" is a joke and I know of at least one physician who carries an LCP b/c of a shooting a few years ago that he was close to.

Have the goons given anybody a hard time for glovebox carry recently?
    Last edited by 77zach; 08-01-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    https://www.floridacarry.org/index.p...ity-of-florida

The lower kourt apparatchik's decision really aggravates me . I work at shands "UF health" and abide by state law as it relates to keeping guns in vehicles on University property and will continue to do so as the chance of being found out and them taking action against me is probably about zero. It's the principle of the thing. Facility "security" is a joke and I know of at least one physician who carries an LCP b/c of a shooting a few years ago that he was close to.

Have the goons given anybody a hard time for glovebox carry recently?
    I can't comment on the specifics of current litigation but see https://www.floridacarry.org/images/...ended_Comp.pdf and https://www.floridacarry.org/images/...sition_MSJ.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

StogieC, thanks for keeping us up on this case. It has implications far outside Fl. It appears that UF has no arguable case. I am a little confused by the wording in the opposition to SJ, your second link, above. The last sentence on page 11 is, "WHEREFORE, Defendant prays that this Honorable Court deny Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment and for such other and further relief as this Honorable Court deems necessary and just".

Is this just a typo? Was it intended to be: WHEREFORE, Plaintiff prays.........................? That's the only way it makes any sense to me. The way it is written, it seems the Defendant is asking the court to deny their own motion.
    Yep typo, lawyers will be appropriately flogged.

So, can we keep our weapons on campus parking lots or not? The first post makes it seem like yes, but the one about UF makes me think that I can't. My wife attends USF online and occasionally goes on campus. And I will soon be going back to finish. Does it matter if we have a ccw or not? Does it matter if it's a public or private university? Pretty sure I will be attending Warner University, not sure if they are private.

Quote Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
    So, can we keep our weapons on campus parking lots or not? The first post makes it seem like yes, but the one about UF makes me think that I can't. My wife attends USF online and occasionally goes on campus. And I will soon be going back to finish. Does it matter if we have a ccw or not? Does it matter if it's a public or private university? Pretty sure I will be attending Warner University, not sure if they are private.
    So, can we keep our weapons on campus parking lots or not?
    Firearms. Yes. If 'carried' in accordance with 790.25(5). Other weapons, probably. Please note that the legislature has only explicitly preempted firearms, not 'weapons'. No case law on that topic, yet.

Does it matter if we have a ccw or not?
    No.

Does it matter if it's a public or private university?
    As to the legality of it? It's legal at both.
    However, a private university can discipline employees/students for it. (The protections in 790.251 do not apply like they do for other non-school businesses.)
    A public university cannot due to preemption.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 08-11-2014 at 08:10 PM.