• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The NFA Item You Can't Own in Virginia

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
From a legal perspective Virginia’s NFA collectors have it pretty good.

In the Commonwealth, so long as all federal requirements are met, one can generally own suppressors, short-barrelled rifles, short-barrelled shotguns, and the other items included in the miscellaneous ‘any other weapon (AOW)’ category.

In addition, machine-guns may be owned so long as all federal requirements are met and the machine-gun is registered with the Virginia State Police within 24 hours of its acquisition.

In fact, there is only a single class of firearm that is completely denied to Virginia’s NFA collectors. It is the Striker 12 ‘Street Sweeper’ Shotgun or any shotgun of ‘like kind’.

Excerpt ... Read more at JohnPierceEsq.com

BrianB

Thanks for the new forum John. Shame you can't own Street Sweepers in VA. Silly that ATF decided they were DD's to begin with. Fortunately there are plenty of non-DD shotguns that are every bit as effective as the Street Sweeper, if not more so. Having handled a Street Sweeper in the past, personally I consider them to be rather clunky and unwieldy.

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I have never personally shot one but I can imagine it would be a handful. :)

PS. I hope the new forum is an active one.

John

Thanks for the new forum John. Shame you can't own Street Sweepers in VA. Silly that ATF decided they were DD's to begin with. Fortunately there are plenty of non-DD shotguns that are every bit as effective as the Street Sweeper, if not more so. Having handled a Street Sweeper in the past, personally I consider them to be rather clunky and unwieldy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Happiness is making your own belt feed, full auto shotgun - still needs a little work though.
http://www.break.com/video/home-made-belt-fed-shotgun-1503780

One of my major gripes is the lack of understanding and therefore complexity in puchasing/possessing sound suppressors. IMO they are not utilzed by BGs, but would have considerable benefit to target shooters and hunters.

Would I want to carry a handgun with a supressor installed? Definitely not - way too clunky - but would love to have several available for select sporting purposes.

eye95

...Would I want to carry a handgun with a supressor installed? ...

You should want it so you could move stealthily through a house, shooting people, with no one the wiser, until they stumbled upon the aftermath in the next scene. I saw it on TV, so it must be true. (What we used to say before Al Gore coined the phrase, "I saw it on the Internet, so it must be true.")

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You should want it so you could move stealthily through a house, shooting people, with no one the wiser, until they stumbled upon the aftermath in the next scene. I saw it on TV, so it must be true. (What we used to say before Al Gore coined the phrase, "I saw it on the Internet, so it must be true.")
Presume you allude to the highly fictionalized, Hollywood generated assassin type who utilizes a "silencer" to help hide his misdeeds. If so, then I agree that is where people (including some law makers) get their misinformation.

Here in the USA, North Carolina just became "the 40th state to legalize suppressors, a sign of changing opinions about the gun accessories." Yet we have to pay a sin tax and keep our papers in order to possess each and every one.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/02/3070508/gun-suppressors-are-now-legal.html

"Typically, silencers have little or no regulation hindering their purchase and use abroad, but in this country, they are classed with machineguns and other National Federation Act-restricted weapons, which constitutes an effective prohibition for the general public.

In South Africa, there are a number of game ranches that will not allow you to hunt unless you have a silencer on your rifle. This prevents the other game from getting spooked and also doesn't upset the non-hunting tourists that are often nearby."
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/9182

Doubt that people would tolerate such a specific tax/procedure as the ATF imposes on their vehicle mufflers; yet the purpose and function of a car muffler is virtually the same as a firearm suppressor = to reduce noise to an acceptable level.

solus

Presume you allude to the highly fictionalized, Hollywood generated assassin type who utilizes a "silencer" to help hide his misdeeds. If so, then I agree that is where people (including some law makers) get their misinformation.

Here in the USA, North Carolina just became "the 40th state to legalize suppressors, a sign of changing opinions about the gun accessories." Yet we have to pay a sin tax and keep our papers in order to possess each and every one.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/02/3070508/gun-suppressors-are-now-legal.html

"Typically, silencers have little or no regulation hindering their purchase and use abroad, but in this country, they are classed with machineguns and other National Federation Act-restricted weapons, which constitutes an effective prohibition for the general public.

In South Africa, there are a number of game ranches that will not allow you to hunt unless you have a silencer on your rifle. This prevents the other game from getting spooked and also doesn't upset the non-hunting tourists that are often nearby."
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/9182

Doubt that people would tolerate such a specific tax/procedure as the ATF imposes on their vehicle mufflers; yet the purpose and function of a car muffler is virtually the same as a firearm suppressor = to reduce noise to an acceptable level.

Grape, my information is that the 'tax' hasn't changed since 1935ish so it is a bargain me thinks.

John, are you going to assist citizens in neighboring states complete their trust paperwork? (hint hint hint)

now where did i leave my empty two liter or milk carton now?

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape, my information is that the 'tax' hasn't changed since 1935ish so it is a bargain me thinks.
--snipped--ipse
Save enough money on enough "bargains" and one will still go broke :uhoh:

IMO - I should be able to walk into a gun shop and buy one or more today w/o any paper work or special tax - it is an accessory, nothing more.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Solus,

I can provide general educational information such as how to fill out a Form 1 or Form 4 as a trustee in a trust but when it comes to the language necessary in a trust in a state in which I am not licensed, I would not ethically be able to 'assist'. Sorry. :)

John

John, are you going to assist citizens in neighboring states complete their trust paperwork? (hint hint hint)

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
John -

Are you licensed in more than one state or do you intend to be in the near future?

BrianB

The problem is that it's arguably a tax on a constitutional right, and allegedly that's frowned upon.

For a little while longer anyway. I expect ATF/DOJ to slam the door on trusts now that the comment period for 41P has closed. If ATF/DOJ were a rational agency, or part of a rational administration, I would expect they would read the comments to the proposed rule and make drastic changes to it. If they do not, it is going to be a nightmare for big corporations that need to acquire NFA items - in addition to wrecking the "trust option".

Believe it or not, a man was convicted for having an unregistered silencer for having a toilet paper tube stuff with toilet paper on the end of his gun. Even if the "device" is destroyed when you fire the gun, if it diminishes the report of the firearm any measurable amount, it's a silencer. Similarly, once you put a 2-liter on the end of a gun it becomes a silencer. In the past people have made threaded adapters that adapt muzzle threads to 2-liter bottle threads, registered the adapter as a silencer, and then putting the 2 liter bottle on the end was OK. Way back in the day ATF considered replacing "wipes" (urethane washers in the suppressor) as manufacturing suppressor parts (which required a license) but they eventually changed their mind and decided end users could replace their own wipes without violating the law. Presumably replacing the 2-liter bottle on your registered adapter would work the same way.

The nuances of the NFA can get quite silly.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I bought 3 of the street sweepers years ago before they were "evil".. they were like 200 bucks ... sweet guns.

And perfect for home defense .. you can have a slug fire, then buck shot, then whatever etc.

Banned due to the Terminator movie if I recall correctly...

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I bought 3 of the street sweepers years ago before they were "evil".. they were like 200 bucks ... sweet guns.

And perfect for home defense .. you can have a slug fire, then buck shot, then whatever etc.

Banned due to the Terminator movie if I recall correctly...

.... And your ownership of a shotgun in Connecticut relates to them being banned in Virginia, how?