• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG's office denied a verbal FOIA request -filed complaint-now they agree its OK

davidmcbeth

Banned
I am in receipt of your FOI request of December 9, 2013 which was made to Attorney Patrick Kwanashie. (see below)....

It is my understanding that you would like to come in to inspect documents. It is true that you do not have to put your request in writing if you want to inspect the documents. However, the agency is allowed sufficient time to gather and review those documents to see if in fact they can be released to the public. I have attached a letter acknowledging receipt of your request.
[from AG attny Antonia Howard]

I called Kwanashie for some records to inspect that he had (I knew he had the records and he confirmed he had the records in his office & the records have been disclosed to me already by another agency, making them available through his office) ... but Kwanashie got pissed when I called him and requested to review the records, like a lowly citizen cannot call him and he hung up the phone when I was still speaking to him....yelling "don't call me again" ~ well, I have a clue for him: I'll call him whenever I want.

I considered that to be a denial, who wouldn't? Now they are backpedaling on my 12/9/13 request...

I also filed a second request today, verbally to inspect records, and was met with resistance (actually dealt with a woman who refused to ID herself who seemed to be annoyed with a citizen calling them about a FOIA request) wherein the AG's office told me that I had to file the request to inspect in writing. That lead to another complaint being filed today. Now, I'm sure that did not take notes on the records I requested ~~ so I guess they'll get re-acquainted with the request before a hearing officer and at a hearing before the freedom of information commission.

Last edited: