• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio HB 387 - Constitutional Carry introuduced

American Patriot

The Bill appear to give Ohioans the right to carry conceal with any permit or license and still retain a license for those who want to qualify to carry in other states that accept reciprocity.

eye95

Would appear that there are those who see removing restrictions as being very different from removing prohibitions - strange. One post would seem to contradict the other.

I was trying to draw a distinction between prohibitions that impair someone from ownership or carry at all, as opposed to a generalized restriction of carry without a license. I just did so badly.

I don't care about certified wackos and violent felons being prohibited (yeah, I know many here do care). My concern in this thread is the removal of generalized restriction that apply to all, such as the requirement to have a license to carry loaded in a car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

The Bill appear to give Ohioans the right to carry conceal with any permit or license and still retain a license for those who want to qualify to carry in other states that accept reciprocity.

And I don't mind that they make possible the license for reciprocity while not requiring it in Ohio. It's a good way to protect its citizens in other States. I am just afraid that the way they needlessly went about it in a complicated way opens the door from shenanigans from somebody.

Simple law is easy to follow. Complicated law is easy to accidentally break. KISYDAL!

Last edited:

American Patriot

It appears that I dropped the "OUT" n my previous post. It should read:

"The Bill appear to give Ohioans the right to carry conceal withOUT any permit or license and still retain a license for those who want to qualify to carry in other states that accept reciprocity.

Of course I feel sure that the Bill was written by lawyers to insure job security. :)

Last edited:

eye95

I knew what you meant. My mind even filled in the "out" to make you sentence make perfect sense!

There oughtta be a law against overcomplicated law. Just write in a sentence or two what you think we should be barred from doing and vote on it! Use plain English, as understood by everyone, and avoid all the definitions.

When laws need that many definitions, lawmakers are doing something they have no business doing.

eye95

Will this do away with having to show ID just because you are CCing?

Hmmm....I bet not. In fact the law extends to non-CHL holders all the requirements for CHL holders. This law makes new crimes! Is that what they are up to? I need to read carefully. Maybe now non-CHL holders will need to show ID for OC? Gotta be careful.

Troy bilt

I'v always wanted to carry a BUG but tend not to as I would have to show my CHL, and ID.

SteveInCO

I believe I see eye95's point.

A much more optimal law would simply repeal (as in remove from the ORC) all prohibitions on carry of any type, perhaps replacing all that crud with a blanket ban on carry by prohibited persons to appease that crowd, and leave the permit process in place for people who want to travel out of state.

This puts yet another patch on a patchwork of laws, superficially seeming like the same result as what I just said above, but may very well be intended to apply rules (like ID) that apply only to CC now, on OCers as well.

samkent

Maybe removal of wording would be seen by the anti's as a free for all.
They could run to the news media and cry 'open season in Ohio'. Just for schock value.

Where as a new law to let normal people skip the CCL process would not be seen as a free for all.

I seriously doubt they are trying to construct a legal trap.

eye95

They will claim that anyway.

Legislators should write good, honest, simple, forthright, and constitutional law. You can't control the opponent's message with convolution. Just control your own simple and honest message.

<o>