Thread: Vermont city may use loophole to push gun control in 2014

Vermont city may use loophole to push gun control in 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ntrol-in-2014/

Hope this "loophole" doesn't get pursued...

"City Councilman Norm Blais told Vermont Watchdog the council has the authority to pass new city gun regulations because of a single clause — “except as otherwise provided by law” — that proceeds the state law making the firearms regulations illegal in Vermont."
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

What a surprise........Burlington. And City Councilman Norm Blais uses Newtown for his reasoning for "gun control". Just like every other anti-constitutional politician. Perhaps Norm should read the Vermont AND federal Constitutions......

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    See no "loophole" - see a delberate misread.

VT. STAT. ANN. tit. 24 § 2295 (2011)
    § 2295. Authority of municipal and county governments to regulate firearms, ammunition, hunting, fishing and trapping

Except as otherwise provided by law, no town, city or incorporated village, by ordinance, resolution or other enactment, shall directly regulate hunting, fishing and trapping or the possession, ownership, transportation, transfer, sale, purchase, carrying, licensing or registration of traps, firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or ammunition. This section shall not limit the powers conferred upon a town, city or incorporated village under section 2291(8) of this title. The provisions of this section shall supersede any inconsistent provisions of a municipal charter.

IMO that translates to mean "Except as otherwise provided by state law, no town, city or incorporated village,........."
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-26-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Formatting
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Eats shoots and leaves

I read the story three times because I couldn't understand how the loophole "proceeded" from the law. Then I realized there was no "from" and they meant to say preceded. (The error was in the original Fox story).

Still, the councilman is an idiot who's deluding himself into thinking he can get around the law.

When I was growing up there, Vermont was such a nice place, and tended to be very conservative. Now it's a lot more liberal, and a lot less nice. Coincidence?
    Last edited by Eeyore; 01-04-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Eeyore is right on the money!

Eeyore Wrote: "When I was growing up there, Vermont was such a nice place, and tended to be very conservative. Now it's a lot more liberal, and a lot less nice. Coincidence"?

YES, but NOT in a bible thumping, controlling, hating of "this and that group" kind of way like you find in other states. It was an old Vermont Yankee INDEPENDENT thinking type of conservatism (think Barry Goldwater, not Palin). You go to certain southern so called "conservative" states and the police control everything along with a city manager. In Florida for example they take 7 year olds to jail for fighting on the playground! In Tennessee don't dare carry cash when travelling! In old Vermont REAL Vermonters go to town meeting to decide all issues, not just ones that effect them, like Ex Massholes coming to meeting to fight Jon Fishman (Phish) who wanted to put up a wind tower on his PRIVATE property. You are right Eeyore - it was a nice place when old school "live and let live" Vermont Conservatives were in control. The current bunch of liberals from NY, NJ and Mass actually took out ads in the South Bronx to advertise that social programs were the best in the nation and they came in DROVES to get handouts, sell drugs, and rob locals. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Montana are the ONLY free states in my book - free from the liberals AND bible thumpers who also want to make you tow the line. Don't judge the rest of Vermont based on Burl, Rutland, Brat and Mont-P.

Unhappy Sorry to Burst your Bubble

?
    Last edited by scott58dh; 02-21-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

More news

Burlington voters opt to give up gun rights, gut state preemption.

March 5, 2014

Three City of Burlington resolutions were passed by voters Tuesday, Vermont’s WPTZ News Channel 5 reported this morning. The measures are now headed to the state legislature, where it will be decided if municipalities will be given the power to override state preemption protections.

Voters chose to allow authorities to seize firearms at domestic investigations (Yes: 5,579 / No: 2,066), ban firearms from establishments that serve liquor (Yes: 5,194 / No: 2,517), and require firearms in the home to be locked up (Yes: 4,351 / No: 2,971) in an election that marks the latest battle in a long campaign being waged between “progressive” Burlington Council members working with Gun Sense Vermont, and the Vermont Federation of Sportmen’s Clubs.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/burl...alerts_article
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Hoping the state legislators will uphold the Vermont "Sportsman Constitution" which these regulations would directly violate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.