• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selling a gun.

7om5hipp

This might sound like a dumb question to some, but is there anything special that I have to do in order to sell a gun. I have one I hardly shoot and would rather have another handgun.

So I guess my quetion is this, what is the process for face to face selling of a firearm?

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk

Redbaron007

IIRC, the only confirmation you need is getting validation (verbal or written, your preference) from the person they are lawfully able to purchase a weapon.....I am responding via the memory cells...if this is incorrect, please chime in. It actually may be one cannot 'knowingly' sell to someone who cannot lawfully purchase a firearm. Full disclosure....IANAL! :)

If you are selling across state lines, whole different story.

7om5hipp

Thanks. Just looking to sell my rifle to help fund a new handgun, nothing to complicated really.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
No legal requirement to do anything, of course this means you must not KNOW something and then ignore it.

Because of POTENTIAL legal issues that COULD arise, many use a ccw as a requirement to sell without transfer through an FFL.

20 to 50 bucks is what an FFL typically charges to do the transfer for you.

Personally, if I do not know the person i require a CCW and issue a signed by both parties bill of sale. It just gives me peace of mind, none of it is required but if anything ever happened I can prove I did my best to be sure they were not a prohibited person (the ccw) and the bill of sale proves that I no longer own it, sort of lol.

your mileage may vary.

Oramac

no legal requirement to do anything, of course this means you must not know something and then ignore it.

Because of potential legal issues that could arise, many use a ccw as a requirement to sell without transfer through an ffl.

20 to 50 bucks is what an ffl typically charges to do the transfer for you.

Personally, if i do not know the person i require a ccw and issue a signed by both parties bill of sale. It just gives me peace of mind, none of it is required but if anything ever happened i can prove i did my best to be sure they were not a prohibited person (the ccw) and the bill of sale proves that i no longer own it, sort of lol.

Your mileage may vary.

qft.

7om5hipp

I was thinking of getting out my old long coat and finding a dark alley to wait in, and when people pass by I will go. "Psst, looking to buy something?" And hold one side of the coat open. Lol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If selling to someone not known well to you:

• Do not consumate the sale at your residence.

• Meet in a busy environment with plenty of other people and security cams.

• Have a friend with you acting as security.

Last edited: