• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College carry.

Small_Arms_Collector

Am I correct in my interpretation that the only colleges NOT covered by preemption are the "big 3"? I ask because I am considering starting college soon (better late than never), and I strongly dislike the idea of going unarmed. It will be a community college so I assume I am protected by preemption?

Yes I know as a student they can, and probably will penalize me for open carry, but as long as I'm careful not to carry in to an actual classroom, or dorm of course, I am prepared to take the risk of concealed carry, student handbook, or rules be damned. If they can't see it, they can't punish me for it.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Also is there any way to challenge their weapons policy for students as a civil rights issue?

SD40VE

Am I correct in my interpretation that the only colleges NOT covered by preemption are the "big 3"? I ask because I am considering starting college soon (better late than never), and I strongly dislike the idea of going unarmed. It will be a community college so I assume I am protected by preemption?

Yes I know as a student they can, and probably will penalize me for open carry, but as long as I'm careful not to carry in to an actual classroom, or dorm of course, I am prepared to take the risk of concealed carry, student handbook, or rules be damned. If they can't see it, they can't punish me for it.

Also is there any way to challenge their weapons policy for students as a civil rights issue?

in theory as long as its considered public, not private it would work. however if they ask you to remove it and you refuse you could get a trespassing charge. that is my understanding keep in mind IANAL

Raggs

nm

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Remember S.A.C. YOU as a student are forced to sign an agreement to attend any college saying you will obey their student conduct code, that's how the littler colleges get away with banning student carry. Carry as a non student at non big 3 colleges is not going to get you locked up (hopefully). As a student it will get you tossed faster than a book by Karl Rove @ a Obama fund raiser... :(

Last edited:

Michigander

Nope. The community colleges act gives community colleges the power to do basically whatever they want.

Community Colleges Act. Act 331 of 1966
MCL 389.125 Board of trustees; payment of claims against community college district; gifts; bylaws.
Sec. 125.
The board of trustees may:

(a) Certify to the treasurer of the community college district for payment out of the funds thereof all claims and demands against the board or community college district, which shall be allowed by the board under rules and regulations it may establish.

(b) Borrow money or other property and accept contributions, capital grants, gifts, donations, services or other financial assistance from the United States of America or any agency or instrumentality thereof.

(c) Accept by gift or devise private property. They may accept from any county, township or other governmental unit any contribution authorized by its governing body as provided in sections 791 to 795 of Act No. 269 of the Public Acts of 1955, as amended, being sections 340.791 to 340.795 of the Compiled Laws of 1948. They shall likewise be entitled to receive from the state all grants of state aid, in the same manner and proportion, as any other community college.

(d) Adopt bylaws, rules and regulations for its own government and for the control and government of the community college district.

(e) Acquire and hold in the name of the district all real property and improvements acquired and erected under the provisions of this act.

(f) To do all other things in its judgment necessary for the proper establishment, maintenance, management and carrying on of the community college.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

i'm currently a community college student. i consulted with 2 of the best gun rights lawyers in michigan and they both basically said that non-students could open carry with a cpl and do anything else legal (like conceal anywhere except classrooms and dorms). as others have mentioned, as a student, you will be subject to the code of conduct.

Michigander

My understanding is that it's the same as any other no licensed CC zone, 500 dollar fine and 6 month revocation. Or if you're not in a classroom or dormitory or if you're OCing, I believe all they could do is expel you.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
So what is the penalty for licensed concealed carry in a community college as a student besides expulsion? Is it a fine, permit suspension, misdemeanor or felony?

If CC in a classroom or dormitory (1st time), it would be a Civil Infraction (plus 500 dollar fine and 6 month revocation). If CC on campus, you have not broken state law but would most likely be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave or admit you knew it was forbidden and ignored the information, it would depend if they charge under a local ordinance or state law.

Last edited: