Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A call to arms - all abled bodied believers in RKBA - Sat. 12/14 9:30 A.M.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

A call to arms - all abled bodied believers in RKBA - Sat. 12/14 9:30 A.M.

In place of our regular breakfast meet-up, we would like to have a strong showing of polite, responsible activists to demonstrate our resolve to those that would take away our RKBA.

This will take place from our perspective come rain, snow flurries or shine, so dress appropriately.

WHO: Moms Demand Action Virginia
    WHEN: December 14, 2013 9:30 AM
    WHERE: Carillon at Byrd Park
    1300 Blanton Avenue
    Richmond, VA 23220
    http://momsdemandaction.org/no-more-silence/

Do not interfere with their agenda - they are dancing on the victims of Sandy Hook, be respectful and courteous, GSL stickers will be available, the press most likely will be in attendance.

To be followed at about 11:00 A.M. by lunch & debriefing in Carytown: Most likely at The Naked Onion - to be confirmed.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-13-2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Fixed date in title
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You meant to write 12/14 right?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    You meant to write 12/14 right?
    Abso-luterly.

Appreciate the catch.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-13-2013 at 02:45 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

My terms-of-employment prohibit me from carrying. The Carrilon is too big for the turnout they will get. It would be more fitting if they did it at the roundhouse in Byrd Park. There is a monument recognizing prohibition put up by some busy-bodies that lobbied for alcohol prohibition just outside the roundhouse. We all know how that one worked out.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Alternate Proposal: AG Recount needs Volunteer Observers - Training Day is 12/14

I propose this as a call to arms: legions of armed (OC!) Obenshain Volunteer Observers to insure the recount is conducted with integrity.

The information and contact is here:
    Obenshain/Herring OFFICIAL RECOUNT OBSERVERS needed on December 17th.

To help with the recount, contact:
    Rebecca Palmer,
    Audrey Jackson, or
    Hooff Cooksey

To confirm your availability on December 17th (date of official recount) and for Observer Training on Saturday, December 14th at 10:00am in Bristol, Danville, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Harrisonburg, Leesburg, Norfolk, Richmond, and Roanoke.

They’ll get you looped in and share location details (More at: Let's Do This!)

Turn out favorable voters for the state Senate’s upcoming special elections.

A WIN = VETO POWER!

Starting next week (week of December 9th), volunteers are needed to call favorable voters in advance of the state Senate’s special elections.
    Meanwhile, our enemy (yes, that's how to describe Herring) is recruiting ... get this, Jennifer Granholm to help Herring:

VA-AG: Jennifer Granholm Jumps In To Help Mark Herring (D) Win The Recount
    Former Governor Jennifer Granholm (D. MI) is helping out in making sure State Senator Mark Herring (D. VA) wins his recount in the Virginia Attorney General race against Ken Cuccinelli (R. VA) protege, Mark Obenshain (R. VA):

"Let me tell you, as the first female governor of Michigan, I know a thing or two about making history. And Mark Herring's fight to hold on and be Virginia's first democratic attorney general in a decade is the real deal.

"But without your help next week, Tea Party extremists will use Obenshain's recount to snatch it away, and install Cuccinelli's protégé in the Attorney General's office, continuing their extremist approach in Virginia. Mark needs volunteers across Virginia to stand up and defend his victory."
    Yes, it's war.

Because the recount will be held on municipal property around the Commonwealth, preemption applies, so it would be perfectly legal to carry while observing. Especially in Chesterfield!

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    My terms-of-employment prohibit me from carrying. The Carrilon is too big for the turnout they will get. It would be more fitting if they did it at the roundhouse in Byrd Park. There is a monument recognizing prohibition put up by some busy-bodies that lobbied for alcohol prohibition just outside the roundhouse. We all know how that one worked out.
    We undertsand the possiblity that they will move it, though I think the Roundhouse may require(?) a permit. Will be there early to keep tabs/observe and advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    I propose this as a call to arms: legions of armed (OC!) Obenshain Volunteer Observers to insure the recount is conducted with integrity.

The information and contact is here:

Meanwhile, our enemy (yes, that's how to describe Herring) is recruiting ... get this, Jennifer Granholm to help Herring:

VA-AG: Jennifer Granholm Jumps In To Help Mark Herring (D) Win The Recount

Yes, it's war.

Because the recount will be held on municipal property around the Commonwealth, preemption applies, so it would be perfectly legal to carry while observing. Especially in Chesterfield!
    Just one of many battles ahead - thanks for the link, but find it doesn't actually give time & location to observe.

Woops - found it.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-13-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Darned inconsiderate of them to do this during Deer Season.....But you know I'll be there

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We undertsand the possiblity that they will move it, though I think the Roundhouse may require(?) a permit. Will be there early to keep tabs/observe and advise.
    The stated location and the suggested possibe alternatve location both require permits. See "Events" at http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/Sch...ventsFees.aspx

Since I'm just a citizen going to enjoy the weather and watch the squirrels, I need no permit. Not even if I happen to meet a bunch of friends who are there for the same reason.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The stated location and the suggested possibe alternatve location both require permits. See "Events" at http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/Sch...ventsFees.aspx

Since I'm just a citizen going to enjoy the weather and watch the squirrels, I need no permit. Not even if I happen to meet a bunch of friends who are there for the same reason.

stay safe.
    I'm currently studying Fruitarianism.
    I'm going to video the local fruits and nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'm currently studying Fruitarianism.
    I'm going to video the local fruits and nuts.
    Contrary to the opinion of some, those do not improve with age or soaking in rum.

What are the rental hours for the Carillon?
    Events at the Carillon can start as early as 8 am, however, all events should end at 11 pm with the exception of a New Year's Eve function, which should end at 1 am.

Note! Due to the Dogwood Dell schedule and Festival of Arts Programs, the Carillon is not available for bookings between June to August or during the month of December, before the 28th.
    .. just wondering if that might apply...

http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/Carillon.aspx

The group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America say, they want to start a conversation about gun control ahead of the upcoming General Assembly session.

All the other stuff they're pushing for - like universal background checks and all that - wouldn't have changed a thing in Connecticut," said Van Cleave. "What would have changed it is if they had an armed teacher in the school who was able to defend them."

Moms Demand Action will hold a Sandy Hook memorial Saturday morning in Byrd Park at the Carillon at 9:30 a.m. The public is welcome.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24219226/...aphoe-shooting

What are the rental hours for the Carillon?
    Events at the Carillon can start as early as 8 am, however, all events should end at 11 pm with the exception of a New Year's Eve function, which should end at 1 am.

Note! Due to the Dogwood Dell schedule and Festival of Arts Programs, the Carillon is not available for bookings between June to August or during the month of December, before the 28th
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post

Considering the anti-self defense position of City Council and the membership of the mayor in Bloomie's MAIG, it would not surprise me to see Richmond ignore their own rules if perceived to the benefit of furthering their agenda.

Then the question of if the Mad Moms even have a permit comes to mind. Might be FOIA time.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post

The Carilon is the building that houses the bells. It has a number of meeting/function rooms inside. The City charges rent to use them.

This activity will be taking place on the grounds at/around the Carillon building. There is no date/time of year restriction on use of the grounds, although the City can create a first-come practice in issuing permits in order to prevent two groups using the same space simultaneously.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

While the notion of requiring permits to exercise Second Amendment rights causes everyone's head to explode on this forum, no one bats an eye at the requirement for a permit to exercise your First Amendment right to assemble peacefully? Wow.

Contrary to the opinion of some, those do not improve with age or soaking in rum.
    Do you realize you published a photo of a lethal weapon?

Imagine the damage it could cause if dropped from the top of the Carillon?

I'm not going to write much while I'm mad....But I'll hit the high points.

This was a well organized event, a well behaved, polite and thoughtful group. It was small. Counting organizers, 30 people.

Skidmark and I got there early and were standing back waiting to see who showed. The event organizer brought a thermos of coffee over and poured some for us while we talked about the Bell Choir that they had.

I moved up and set up the camera. It started with a very long prayer from their preacher, then a short speech, followed by a longer speech.

Then a song from someone....a very pretty song,not the blood in the streets we usually see. Another short speech and the Bell Choir.

While I'm sure there was tension, it wasn't obvious.

Now the Sad Part.

There was No Gun Lobby presence.
    5 of us showed....yeah....5, out of all the talk, spewing of patriotic rhetoric and Pro Gun pep posts...5 of us showed. I had other things to do...it's hunting season which I consider sacred, River Rat gave up a Saturday hunt, Skidmark came out despite the cold as did Grapeshot and Scouser.

That's it!

Out of all the VCDL members, Out of all the VCDL board, out of all the members here......that was how many people showed our strength.

Last edited by peter nap; 12-14-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    While the notion of requiring permits to exercise Second Amendment rights causes everyone's head to explode on this forum, no one bats an eye at the requirement for a permit to exercise your First Amendment right to assemble peacefully? Wow.
    Sorry, but you apparently miss the point.

There are plenty of places in Richmond where people can freely assemble to seek redress of their grievances, which is what the First Amendment prohibits Congress (and by incorporation, the States) from passing any law to forbid doing so. A bit different from your "right to assemble peacefully", but I suppose few folks really bother to contemplate the semantic difference between the two phrases.

There was no seeking a redress of something the Government had done. Actually, it was quite the opposite. This event purposely used City property to form a backdrop for the expression of a personal viewpoint that the organization wanted to put pressure on legislators (Congressmen & Senators specifically, and State legislators as additional targets) to adopt as their own viewpoint and then pass laws so that the rest of us would have to do something in the way manner, or style they wanted us to behave. In other words, to impose their point of view - the one that polls say only a minority of folks hold and other polls say the majority of folks say would be ineffective - on the rest of us.

But be that as it may - the City requires a permit for the use of City park space. If you or anybody else feels that is unconstitutional in this or any other instance they are free to take up the issue with the City and/or the courts. As the OCDO rules say (paraphrasing here) we work to change the laws (rules), not disobey them. Since this is John's and Mike's playground, we are supposaed to play by their rules.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I'm not going to write much while I'm mad....But I'll hit the high points.

This was a well organized event, a well behaved, polite and thoughtful group. It was small. Counting organizers, 30 people.

Skidmark and I got there early and were standing back waiting to see who showed. The event organizer brought a thermos of coffee over and poured some for us while we talked about the Bell Choir that they had.

I moved up and set up the camera. It started with a very long prayer from their preacher, then a short speech, followed by a longer speech.

Then a song from someone....a very pretty song,not the blood in the streets we usually see. Another short speech and the Bell Choir.

While I'm sure there was tension, it wasn't obvious.

Now the Sad Part.

5 of us showed....yeah....5, out of all the talk, spewing of patriotic rhetoric and Pro Gun pep posts...5 of us showed. I had other things to do...it's hunting season which I consider sacred, River Rat gave up a Saturday hunt, Skidmark came out despite the cold as did Grapeshot and Scouser.

That's it!

Out of all the VCDL members, Out of all the VCDL board, out of all the members here......that was how many people showed our strength.

wonder if the lack of a "VA Alert" about this had anything to do with it. Someone must not have realized local news camera would be there. The weather can't be blamed, it remained dry for the entire event.

The news commentator used the term "children gunned down". I have trouble getting my head around that.

Does "children" include the street thug teen gang members who are out gunning for each other? Or are we all supposed to think that only elementary school-aged children are the victims?

The call for OGAM smacks of Bloomberg involvement.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    The news commentator used the term "children gunned down". I have trouble getting my head around that.

Does "children" include the street thug teen gang members who are out gunning for each other? Or are we all supposed to think that only elementary school-aged children are the victims?

The call for OGAM smacks of Bloomberg involvement.
    I have t all on video but I'm going to do what 99.99999999 % of my peers did today. Let someone else take care of it. Maybe later.

The one take away message I got was that the MDA moms and their cute little tinker bells want is background checks on everybody/any one before they acquire a gun............how will that work for someone that steals a gun? A background check would not have saved one life at Sandy Hook - nada.

Lots of coordination was evident: the bell ringers wore matching green blazers, passed out free small dinner bells, had glossy printed signs, good sound system, but nothiing new in the way of agenda......except a softer, kinder message delivery.

What was only too obvious was the lack of a strong turn out from our camp. Cold - ok but you go shopping don't you?

Apathy - the let Mikey do it syndrom. You do see where that got us with the election...right?

If we can't pull together better than what I saw this morning, are problems are only going to get bigger.

Only positive note was a great breakfast at the old Curle's Farm Dairy - but now I have indigestion thinking back on the Carillon.

;;;;;

Now the Sad Part.

5 of us showed....yeah....5
    These events took place in several states today, right? I'm pretty dialed in to Ohio's gunrights groups plus some related Facebook pages and yesterday 12/13 was the first inkling I had of these 12/14 meetups by the anti's. It's hard to get very many people together in a counter-rally on that sort of notice. I am at work today and even if I'd been available the local-to-me event was going to be held inside a Cincinnati area church. By Ohio's laws that would mean a disarm for our side, plus do we really want to do anything like a 'protest' inside a church? We'd have had to stay outside and unless we were filling the sidewalk pretty good it would give the media ample opportunity to keep us out of their coverage.

The one take away message I got was that the MDA moms and their cute little tinker bells want is background checks on everybody/any one before they acquire a gun............how will that work for someone that steals a gun? A background check would not have saved one life at Sandy Hook - nada.

Lots of coordination was evident: the bell ringers wore matching green blazers, passed out free small dinner bells, had glossy printed signs, good sound system, but nothiing new in the way of agenda......except a softer, kinder message delivery.

What was only too obvious was the lack of a strong turn out from our camp. Cold - ok but you go shopping don't you?

Apathy - the let Mikey do it syndrom. You do see where that got us with the election...right?

If we can't pull together better than what I saw this morning, are problems are only going to get bigger.

Only positive note was a great breakfast at the old Curle's Farm Dairy - but now I have indigestion thinking back on the Carillon.
    I hope this isn't taken as spamming, and I'll let you all know right now that this is a rant. They (antis) were pretty organized down here in AZ as well. Little bells with tags on them. Matching sweater/tops. Little green pin-on ribbons. Glossy, printed signs with their catchy anti-rights slogan. Notecards with a single letter on each that when taken together spelled out "*SOMETHING* NEWTOWN" (didn't get the best look, since one other RKBA supporter and I were kind of in the center of the photo, then in the back when they relocated under pretext of "better lighting" at a different angle).
    All I had were the two homemade signs (printed the words out), one saying "Unarmed victims = Happy criminals" and the other saying "'Gun control' is SEXIST/RACIST," both of which were on two different halves of a brown cardboard box I had lying around.

I don't do social media, but I sent a text to every one of the freedom-loving college students I know, and guess how many of them showed, even after TWO said they would be there: ZERO.
    I wasn't exactly expecting an army of RKBA supporters to show, but I thought we could at least muster up a small squadron.

Is it only when things look the most dire and one of ours is being dragged through the "justice" system that we can mobilize?

/Rant off
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 12-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast