• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WISCONSIN NEWS ROUND-UP: Policeman in Neillsville kills person in confrontation

Law abider

Neillsville is up road from me. This from the Pierce County Herald. http://www.piercecountyherald.com/c...iceman-neillsville-kills-person-confrontation

I suppose the protocol now is that the cop will be put on leave and an investigation will be underway. He gets to go home, sleep in a warm bed and still get paid.
Now put yourself in his shoes. You were there and there was a disturbance, the door opened the fracas spilled out and you were confronted by the suspect with a gun. You being a quick draw wiz, drew the gun and killed the suspect. So you get to go home and sleep in a warm bed till the investigation is over?

Law abider

My point is that the risk we take in exercising our 2A right entails more risk than law enforcement. I feel that even if we did the right thing, we would have to surrender our gun/s and sit in jail, and not get paid. And if our work place hears about the incident which it will, get fired.

Fuller Malarkey

More current news sources are listing the weapon as a knife, comments indicating it was a butter knife.

Sleep tight, gladiator.

http://www.marshfieldnewsherald.com...lsville-police-officer-fatally-shoots-suspect

http://www.waow.com/story/24214872/2013/12/13/one-dead-in-police-shooting-in-neillsville

Sounds like son came home drunk, got in a squabble with Ma, she calls for someone to settle the son down.

Son "Failed to immediately and satisfactorily comply with all commands", so they exterminated him. Isolated incident 88, 648. I'm sure the mother put up a fuss. I wonder if they threatened her, or just beat, cuffed and stuffed her "for officer safety"....

Firearms Iinstuctor

Mission Accomplished !

Why do people call the police to their own home??? Have not learned anything yet?

Because from the middle 60s there has been a push by government to solve every thing for every body.

Need help call the police need help, call the fire department need help call 911 if your dependent on the government you don't mind paying more taxes and letting them control you

Back to the shooting sounds like the son was drunk being stupid or maybe he wanted the police to shoot him.

He grabs a knife really doesn't matter what type at 230am it dark and hard to tell what kind or if it is sharp or dull.

LEO tells him to drop it he being drunk, stupid doesn't like people telling him what to do(otherwise he would have listen to his mother and went to bed)

He is not going to let some COP tell him what to do, doesn't listen is going to show every body they can't tell him what to do advances towards the officer and get killed.

We all know drunks are very smart listen all the time and make very rational desions .

Being drunk, not listening, arming ones self and advancing on some one with a gun (LEO or not) is one very good way to get shot or killed. Maybe that is what he wanted that all along.

How many here would let a non listening, angry, armed, drunk get close I would like to see the crime scene measurements bet he was a lot closer then 21 feet.

But you know he was just a good boy just starting to turn his life around never would hurt a flea

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

All a matter of perspective. Doesn't appear to have been any violence until the police showed. According to a witness, the police escalated the situation when she needed help DE ESCALATING the situation. This smacks more of "failure to comply" than any true defensive act. Sounds more like the need to win trumped this woman's need for help in dealing with a drunk son.

Hospitals, nurses in particular, deal with hard core alcoholics and drug addicts far more regular than police do, and to much greater depth. We so rarely hear of nurses killing patients that act out while under the influence.

BrianB

Why do people call the police to their own home???

Because they are stupid. I can't imagine calling the police to my house. Ever. Only possible exception would be if there had been a burglary while I was not home and my insurance company forced me to do it.

Franky

Neillsville is up road from me. This from the Pierce County Herald. http://www.piercecountyherald.com/c...iceman-neillsville-kills-person-confrontation

I suppose the protocol now is that the cop will be put on leave and an investigation will be underway. He gets to go home, sleep in a warm bed and still get paid.
Now put yourself in his shoes. You were there and there was a disturbance, the door opened the fracas spilled out and you were confronted by the suspect with a gun. You being a quick draw wiz, drew the gun and killed the suspect. So you get to go home and sleep in a warm bed till the investigation is over?

Neillsville is over 100 miles to the southeast from Ellsworth. So what if the police officer gets to go home, the investigation is in its infancy. Your posts seem to suggest borderline LEO bashing while also encouraging others to do the same.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Hospitals, nurses in particular, deal with hard core alcoholics and drug addicts far more regular than police do, and to much greater depth. We so rarely hear of nurses killing patients that act out while under the influence.

In a totally different settings. When they get a violent a intoxicated person they call the police for help.

Doctors and nurses kill far more people with bad medical choices then the police ever do by shooting.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Because they are stupid. I can't imagine calling the police to my house. Ever. Only possible exception would be if there had been a burglary while I was not home and my insurance company forced me to do it.

Come here mr guberment man and shoot me .... is what a 911 call actually is ...

by the time they get there, the reason why you called them is resolved one way or the other ...

RANDYT

Neillsville is over 100 miles to the southeast from Ellsworth. So what if the police officer gets to go home, the investigation is in its infancy. Your posts seem to suggest borderline LEO bashing while also encouraging others to do the same.

I don't take it as cop bashing, My take was, why should the police be treated differently from LAC. And in my opinion public servants shouldn't get special treatment. They should be treated with the same standards as the average person. If procedure is to disarm, and detain somebody for a Defensive shoot, they the public servants should be disarmed, and detained.

I am not cop bashing, I just believe they shouldn't be treated as if they have a higher power.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am guessing you do not have a very good imagination. I am a firm believer in the less one has to have the government involved in ones life the better off you well be.

But no government is worse then having one.

Fuller Malarkey

In a totally different settings. When they get a violent a intoxicated person they call the police for help.

Doctors and nurses kill far more people with bad medical choices then the police ever do by shooting.

Ever hear of a nurse going into the waiting room and informing a parent that they had just killed their daughter for "failure to comply"? Few medical deaths can be traced back to vindictive, brutal assaults to attain dominance.

Fuller Malarkey

Sometimes they call the police. Usually, the situation is deescalated by staff that must rely on people skills rather than a club, taser or firearm. I worked a detox that was six miles out in the sticks. Police arrival could take up to an hour at night. The only times I recall police involvement with a detox patient was when they were there delivering a DWI / DUI or emergency hold order. I learned more from those nurses about handling people than all my education and life experiences combined.

Fuller Malarkey

I am guessing you do not have a very good imagination. I am a firm believer in the less one has to have the government involved in ones life the better off you well be.

But no government is worse then having one.

This is a very weak logical fallacy...."either we tolerate what we have, or there will be anarchy in the streets". Most places [Camden, N.J., for example] that have bucked the norm and sought improvement in law enforcement services and in particular, accountability, have found it. That didn't happen by people shrugging their shoulders and saying "it could be worse".

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sometimes they call the police. Usually, the situation is deescalated by staff that must rely on people skills rather than a club, taser or firearm. I worked a detox that was six miles out in the sticks. Police arrival could take up to an hour at night. The only times I recall police involvement with a detox patient was when they were there delivering a DWI / DUI or emergency hold order. I learned more from those nurses about handling people than all my education and life experiences combined.

Guess I been dispatched to many times to the ER to help out with unruly patients to know that is true.

Our experiences differ we can agree on that.

Firearms Iinstuctor

This is a very weak logical fallacy...."either we tolerate what we have, or there will be anarchy in the streets". Most places [Camden, N.J., for example] that have bucked the norm and sought improvement in law enforcement services and in particular, accountability, have found it. That didn't happen by people shrugging their shoulders and saying "it could be worse".

No it doesn't mean that we should tolerate what we have it means we need to come to balance of not having enough to having to much.

This country has swung to having to much.

Not having any means anarchy.

Take the county I live in we went from having 6 full time deputies to having around 18. We went from having one or two housed in the jail on any day to having 30 or 40.

We went from having no zoning to almost having to get a permit to piss on your own land. We went from having no building codes to having an inspector come in and enforce all of them(the whole State went to this UBC).

Yes we have to much government. It is unfortunate but we have a huge amount of people calling for more and more.
( I am not one Of them) I really tend to lean libertarian but know that only works if every body else are good up standing citizens . I also know that there are lots of people out there who don't give a crap about you or any body else. Who are way more then willing to take advantage of others.

We have been told for a long time we need more and more government because you can not solve your own problems.

You are not smart enough to say build your own house with out it falling down. Even through there are 1000s still standing build before the UBC.

Yes the problem is now we have to much government but having to little also leads to trouble.

Finding the happy medium is the trouble, I tend to lean towards minimal government, then more, but not none.

Last edited:

Primus

No it doesn't mean that we should tolerate what we have it means we need to come to balance of not having enough to having to much.

This country has swung to having to much.

Not having any means anarchy.

Take the county I live in we went from having 6 full time deputies to having around 18. We went from having one or two housed in the jail on any day to having 30 or 40.

We went from having no zoning to almost having to get a permit to piss on your own land. We went from having no building codes to having an inspector come in and enforce all of them(the whole State went to this UBC).

Yes we have to much government. It is unfortunate but we have a huge amount of people calling for more and more.
( I am not one Of them) I really tend to lean libertarian but know that only works if every body else are good up standing citizens . I also know that there are lots of people out there who don't give a crap about you or any body else. Who are way more then willing to take advantage of others.

We have been told for a long time we need more and more government because you can not solve your own problems.

You are not smart enough to say build your own house with out it falling down. Even through there are 1000s still standing build before the UBC.

Yes the problem is now we have to much government but having to little also leads to trouble.

Finding the happy medium is the trouble, I tend to lean towards minimal government, then more, but not none.

Well said. + 1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Never fear there will a investigation and it will be determined that it was a justified shoot because the victim did not comply and the cop took officer safety onto consideration and shot the hell out of him.

Franky

Never fear there will a investigation and it will be determined that it was a justified shoot because the victim did not comply and the cop took officer safety onto consideration and shot the hell out of him.

Fear what? If the event plays out as you describe it the police officer was merely doing what he/she was hired to do.