Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Has Open Carry Lost Its Way.....

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    203

    Has Open Carry Lost Its Way.....

    And now seeking to piggyback on the Conceal Carry movement? That appears to be the situation from the various state forum discussions.

  2. #2
    Regular Member tomrkba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    128
    It is impossible to answer the question without seeing what they're saying. Please provide links to those discussions so we can review what is being said.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    And just what is meant by "lost its way?" Some places OC would have to piggyback when CC is the norm for handguns. Others, it's because the CC oriented organizations are more visible and effective. It is only when CC replaces OC as the norm or default that it is a problem.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    And just what is meant by "lost its way?" Some places OC would have to piggyback when CC is the norm for handguns. Others, it's because the CC oriented organizations are more visible and effective. It is only when CC replaces OC as the norm or default that it is a problem.
    " it's because the CC oriented organizations are more visible and effective." Why is that?

    "OC would have to piggyback when CC is the norm" Why is that?

    Cannot Open Carry stand on its own?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    I consider GRNC a CC organization. They made themselves very visible, and are very effective. They have done so by virtue of getting organized and finding legislative sponsors for gun law proposals. They then keep at the task at hand. If anyone doesn't like GRNC's "nose of the camel" approach to gun law (CC, with OC coming after), then they need to follow the example set by GRNC. So far, no one seems that interested or capable.

    OC piggybacks when CC is the norm. Here, OC is the default method, but progress on acceptance of LAC is coming courtesy of CC. See the paragraph above.

    OC can, and should, stand on its own. It just takes involvement on the part of all to communicate, educate, and legislate.

    OK. American Parrot, it's time for you to provide your own view. Something more than the statement than that seems to be the case from other sources. At least do as tomrkba requested and provide links to these other sources.

    If you think the OC should/must stand on its own, what are you doing for that cause? Are you active in promoting OC with local and state government?; actively advancing OC in your community's public areas?

    The only pro-gun organization truly effective in NC seems to be the GRNC. If they seem to be biased toward CC, that's only fair since they are responsible for NC having a CC program. You could say they piggy-backed off OC; now they are leading the way and OC is following along. In the latest case, GRNC piled onto Alamance county, helping defeat a proposed ban on OC in a county office. Along with that a 1995 ban on OC on county property was also removed.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    I consider GRNC a CC organization. They made themselves very visible, and are very effective. They have done so by virtue of getting organized and finding legislative sponsors for gun law proposals. They then keep at the task at hand. If anyone doesn't like GRNC's "nose of the camel" approach to gun law (CC, with OC coming after), then they need to follow the example set by GRNC. So far, no one seems that interested or capable.

    OC piggybacks when CC is the norm. Here, OC is the default method, but progress on acceptance of LAC is coming courtesy of CC. See the paragraph above.

    OC can, and should, stand on its own. It just takes involvement on the part of all to communicate, educate, and legislate.

    OK. American Parrot, it's time for you to provide your own view. Something more than the statement than that seems to be the case from other sources. At least do as tomrkba requested and provide links to these other sources.

    If you think the OC should/must stand on its own, what are you doing for that cause? Are you active in promoting OC with local and state government?; actively advancing OC in your community's public areas?

    The only pro-gun organization truly effective in NC seems to be the GRNC. If they seem to be biased toward CC, that's only fair since they are responsible for NC having a CC program. You could say they piggy-backed off OC; now they are leading the way and OC is following along. In the latest case, GRNC piled onto Alamance county, helping defeat a proposed ban on OC in a county office. Along with that a 1995 ban on OC on county property was also removed.

    Well stated and I agree. OCers need to acknowledge what is actually happening and that the two modes of carry are not at odds. Some in the OC community want to condemn CC supporters and organizations rather than grab their own bull by its horns and do something for their own cause. They would do better to support all efforts to advance 2nd Amendment rights regardless of carry mode.

    One only has to read many of the other state forums here on OC to realize what is happening.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    Well stated and I agree. OCers need to acknowledge what is actually happening and that the two modes of carry are not at odds. Some in the OC community want to condemn CC supporters and organizations rather than grab their own bull by its horns and do something for their own cause. They would do better to support all efforts to advance 2nd Amendment rights regardless of carry mode.

    One only has to read many of the other state forums here on OC to realize what is happening.
    I guess I'm lost here. What exactly is it that you think is happening?

    I choose between open carry and concealed carry when its convenient for me. I tend to conceal when its cold and/or rainy and open carry most other times. There are times when concealed is just easier for a variety of reasons so I conceal it.

    I know many people who do the same. I belong to VCDL an organization dedicated to easing oppressive firearm restrictions and the carry of firearms (but not open carry in particular). I also support OCDO and open carry. I guess I don't see how those things and open carry and concealed carry are perceived to be at odds.

    There are those who choose to make a statement by not getting a concealed carry permit and believe they make a stronger statement for 2A rights in that way. By my observation those people are in the minority. But more power to them if it furthers the cause of so called constitutional carry.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    I consider GRNC a CC organization. They made themselves very visible, and are very effective. They have done so by virtue of getting organized and finding legislative sponsors for gun law proposals. They then keep at the task at hand. If anyone doesn't like GRNC's "nose of the camel" approach to gun law (CC, with OC coming after), then they need to follow the example set by GRNC. So far, no one seems that interested or capable.

    OC piggybacks when CC is the norm. Here, OC is the default method, but progress on acceptance of LAC is coming courtesy of CC. See the paragraph above.

    OC can, and should, stand on its own. It just takes involvement on the part of all to communicate, educate, and legislate.

    OK. American Parrot, it's time for you to provide your own view. Something more than the statement than that seems to be the case from other sources. At least do as tomrkba requested and provide links to these other sources.

    If you think the OC should/must stand on its own, what are you doing for that cause? Are you active in promoting OC with local and state government?; actively advancing OC in your community's public areas?

    The only pro-gun organization truly effective in NC seems to be the GRNC. If they seem to be biased toward CC, that's only fair since they are responsible for NC having a CC program. You could say they piggy-backed off OC; now they are leading the way and OC is following along. In the latest case, GRNC piled onto Alamance county, helping defeat a proposed ban on OC in a county office. Along with that a 1995 ban on OC on county property was also removed.


    Too bad GRNC isn't a carry organization first and then CC/OC.

    Well, actually I don't know that about the rank-and-file of GRNC, as only one person has ever admitted to having a hand in what is done or pushed. That person has verbally dismissed me and many others because we do not believe CC is the only way. I'd hope the members who actually spend their money to belong are not as close-minded. The flip side of that, though, is the rank-and-file get no say in what gets pushed legislatively.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    I knew of GRNC and its principals through GRGRSC. I don't recall GRNC's legislative challenges, but contemporaneously GRGRSC was trying to get ANY carry legalized, SC prohibited all but hunting carry. GRGRSC was successful in legalizing CCW in 1996, OC is still hunting only.

    Both states's grassroots efforts have been attacked and inhibited by the nasty national gun advocacy. GRGRSC is still stifled by court order, suit brought by GOSC. My particular involvement with GRNC was while they were under vicious attack by NC's national affiliate. Follow the money to P4P.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-16-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Too bad GRNC isn't a carry organization first and then CC/OC.

    Well, actually I don't know that about the rank-and-file of GRNC, as only one person has ever admitted to having a hand in what is done or pushed. That person has verbally dismissed me and many others because we do not believe CC is the only way. I'd hope the members who actually spend their money to belong are not as close-minded. The flip side of that, though, is the rank-and-file get no say in what gets pushed legislatively.
    That statement is not true. Our gun show coordinators collect input from the public as well as the rank-and-file.
    I would guess half of the leadership team OC. I do. But still the perception of some on here is I am anti OC.
    BC Crusier mentioned Alamance County. While we did go after no more gun bans, we were surprised when the CC ordinance was repealed and the metal detectors removed. That was an added bonus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •