Thread: Kate's Irish Pub (Springfield)

Kate's Irish Pub (Springfield)

A friend of mine invited me to Kate's Irish Pub in Springfield. I searched this forum to see if there was any post about them and didn't find any. So I did what I usually don't do and contact them about firearms on their premisses. I didn't want to drive all the way there only to be turned away. Here was their response from their web contact form:

Kates | katesirishpub@aol.com | Add to Contacts
    Thursday, Dec 12 11:43 PM | Show Details | View source

Re: Message from John <deleted>
    Yes why?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 12, 2013, at 10:26 PM, "" <<deleted>@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > Name: John <deleted>
    > Email: <deleted>@verizon.net
    > Comments:
    > Do you ban guns from your premisses?
    "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
    NRA Lifetime Member

What would you expect the answer to such a question to be? You practically begged that answer.

If one insists upon asking, at the very least, it should be phrased more like this:

"Dear manager, does your business follow the Code of Virginia regarding the carry of firearms on the premises?"

If they are still going to say no, at least that forces them to understand and acknowledge the fact that they are acting contrary to state law.

JMHO, of course.

TFred

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    When in doubt, conceal it. Then pick a booth with your strong side to the wall of the booth and do the VA tuck. I just did this last week at a restaurant where I wasn't sure of their policy. As I entered, I saw no sign, but I don't spend time and effort looking for them. If they're not in plain sight, they're not there as far as I'm concerned.

But don't call or write and ask. As TFred said, you're only asking for a negative response. AND you might be telling them to post a sign. Leave it be.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator
    Never do this - never ask permission that is an invitation to the business to ban guns - Never. This kind of thing really hurts us.

-----
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM15A View Post
    A friend of mine invited me to Kate's Irish Pub in Springfield. I searched this forum to see if there was any post about them and didn't find any. So I did what I usually don't do and contact them about firearms on their premisses. I didn't want to drive all the way there only to be turned away. Here was their response from their web contact form:

Kates | katesirishpub@aol.com | Add to Contacts
    Thursday, Dec 12 11:43 PM | Show Details | View source

Re: Message from John <deleted>
    Yes why?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 12, 2013, at 10:26 PM, "" <<deleted>@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > Name: John <deleted>
    > Email: <deleted>@verizon.net
    > Comments:
    > Do you ban guns from your premisses?

I never bother asking. If they ask me to leave when I get there, I just don't return, and I make sure all my friends know about their anti-gun policies. So far I've only ever been asked to leave at one location (which was in Richmond, not Hampton Roads where I live). Better to say sorry rather than be told no (so long as you're within the confines of the law). But, that's just my opinion.

Banned
    The IRA would be so proud of their answer ....

Ask and you'll be banned (and so will the rest of us)

In over fourteen years of almost exclusive open carry, I have been asked to take my gun outside in only three restaurants, one of which I convinced otherwise almost immediately, and another which later re-lthought their policy.

You are legal to carry, so just carry.

Most places won't even notice you are carrying, and those that do will just assume you are "authorized," whatever that means to them.

Once you ask, you are making them responsible for anthing they think mnight happen with a gun, and they'll almost always say no.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Never do this - never ask permission that is an invitation to the business to ban guns - Never. This kind of thing really hurts us.

-----
    Agreed.

I always view visiting an unfamiliar business as taking a risk. If I'm not willing to take the risk of being asked to leave, I either don't go, or CC.

I never, never, ever ask permission in advance. For exactly the reason Mike gives. Its an opportunity to say no.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    For what its worth, I vaguely recall OCing in Kates 2-3 years ago. I don't recall any problems.
    Last edited by Citizen; 12-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Agreed.

I always view visiting an unfamiliar business as taking a risk. If I'm not willing to take the risk of being asked to leave, I either don't go, or CC.

I never, never, ever ask permission in advance. For exactly the reason Mike gives. Its an opportunity to say no.
    Badger Johnson, is that you? Where have you been?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Ouch! One more time Sir! Ouch, one more time Sir!!
    "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
    NRA Lifetime Member

I NEVER ask 'permission to exercise my rights. If a business is against civil rights, and asks me to leave, because I am open carrying, then I'll be sure to leave... since I don't want to spend a dime in an anti-gun / anti-rights establishment.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington