• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops ... not looking for this one - acting like 5yr olds with deaf folks ...

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3243791.shtml#.UqxCWmePelt

In the lapel camera video, the officer says: "Your attitude dictates how I treat you."
Actually incorrect, the LAW dictates this ...

I have several deaf friends ... and this is exactly how they respond ... they are not 1000% deaf .... but they just hear low frequencies and respond that they did did not understand what I just said .. annoying? Can be sometimes.
Grounds to slam the person on the ground? Most definitely not.

Cop needs to to find a NEW JOB. He has a mental inclination for violence & would never get a permit in my state....so how can he be a cop?

And a previous story about a deaf person who made the mistake of thinking that the cops care about anything other than their own pensions:
http://www.infowars.com/police-taze-deaf-woman-that-called-9-1-1/
zap zap zap .... lesson learned?

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The person in involved in this responded to the officers commands with no I am deaf. Not no I can't hear or understand what you were saying.

She is using her partial deafness as an excuse not to do something she doesn't want to. She was facing away and answered.

Just like some use race as an excuse some used disabilities as one for that is the reason you are picking on me because I am what ever.

This isn't a comment on the use of force that is another matter.

Over the years on the job I have come into contact with hard of hearing and deaf people received training on communicating with them. Oh one stop I had to write all of it the why and what is going to happen.

I had one person reused to communicate other then mouthing I am deaf. I asked in writing if she needed a sigh language interrupter she shook her head yes.

When she learned it would take a hour and half to get one to response to the scene she decided she couldn't wait that long and we wrote what was needed..

Almost the same I had a Quebecer say she couldn't speak English. When I told her boss over the phone that she was going to jail, then after talking to her boss she could speak and understand English very well.

Some people well and do use any reason and excuse.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

The person in involved in this responded to the officers commands with no I am deaf. Not no I can't hear or understand what you were saying.

She is using her partial deafness as an excuse not to do something she doesn't want to. She was facing away and answered.

Just like some use race as an excuse some used disabilities as one for that is the reason you are picking on me because I am what ever.

Even if that's true and she was intentionally defying the officer's commands, the officer is still wrong, and still inclined to violence, and still has an ego problem, and still needs to find a new job...

"APD charged Case with resisting arrest and obstructing justice, but those charges were eventually dropped. There is no evidence Case did anything wrong before police arrived at her home, other than being a noisy neighbor who moved around her furniture too often."

This just further solidifies what I've said. He apparently had no reason to arrest her, or probably even detain her, in the first place. If that is the case she probably didn't have any legal obligation to follow any of his directions in the first place. This is an example of how police often make it so that it's best to just not even answer the door for them. For all you know, your neighbor could have simply made a noise complaint and now the police are there to body slam you and take you to jail. Even if the charges end up getting dropped, enough damage has been done. You've had several hours to a day or so taken out of your life - who knows what you might have had planned or what kind of responsibilities you needed to take care of in that time, you were arrested and humiliated, and you now have an arrest record which can be extremely damaging. In Texas, just being charged with a misdemeanor crime is enough for a suspension of your CHL.

The cop was in the wrong, the cop was in the wrong, the cop was in the wrong. He obviously has issues, and is incapable of conducting himself in a controlled, professional manner.

Don't get me wrong, perhaps she did act like a child. That doesn't justify the officer's actions, though - they can both be wrong.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Even if that's true and she was intentionally defying the officer's commands, the officer is still wrong, and still inclined to violence, and still has an ego problem, and still needs to find a new job...

"APD charged Case with resisting arrest and obstructing justice, but those charges were eventually dropped. There is no evidence Case did anything wrong before police arrived at her home, other than being a noisy neighbor who moved around her furniture too often."

This just further solidifies what I've said. He apparently had no reason to arrest her, or probably even detain her, in the first place. If that is the case she probably didn't have any legal obligation to follow any of his directions in the first place. This is an example of how police often make it so that it's best to just not even answer the door for them. For all you know, your neighbor could have simply made a noise complaint and now the police are there to body slam you and take you to jail. Even if the charges end up getting dropped, enough damage has been done. You've had several hours to a day or so taken out of your life - who knows what you might have had planned or what kind of responsibilities you needed to take care of in that time, you were arrested and humiliated, and you now have an arrest record which can be extremely damaging. In Texas, just being charged with a misdemeanor crime is enough for a suspension of your CHL.

The cop was in the wrong, the cop was in the wrong, the cop was in the wrong. He obviously has issues, and is incapable of conducting himself in a controlled, professional manner.

Don't get me wrong, perhaps she did act like a child. That doesn't justify the officer's actions, though - they can both be wrong.

Good alternate argument ... +1

Brace

Apparently, deaf people are supposed to be handcuffed with their hands in front of them, so "no, I'm deaf" makes perfect sense as a response to being asked to turn around. Turning around would also make it close to impossible to hear subsequent commands.

OC for ME

<snip>
No, the use of force is a byproduct of the contact. It is disingenuous to separate the contact and subsequent violent physical forced used by the cop.

How about this? The cop displays the cuffs and says "These, or not, your choice. Let's talk."

Why do cops feel the need to use violent physical force in a situation such as described in the op linked article?

stealthyeliminator

No, the use of force is a byproduct of the contact. It is disingenuous to separate the contact and subsequent violent physical forced used by the cop.

How about this? The cop displays the cuffs and says "These, or not, your choice. Let's talk."

Why do cops feel the need to use violent physical force in a situation such as described in the op linked article?

I think what it boils down to is often about the same reason that criminals often resort to that sort of behavior. Immature and uncontrolled emotion, anger, ego and adrinaline. Except they're a good person, so they joined the police, and are just "channeling" it into something "productive"

Primus

I think what it boils down to is often about the same reason that criminals often resort to that sort of behavior. Immature and uncontrolled emotion, anger, ego and adrinaline. Except they're a good person, so they joined the police, and are just "channeling" it into something "productive"

Cute

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

Cute

Why else would they engage in the same behavior, if not for the same reasons? Sure, it's possible. So tell me Primus, for what reasons, that are different reasons than the reasons criminals do it, do some cops engage in criminal violent behavior? I'm all ears.

Primus

Why else would they engage in the same behavior, if not for the same reasons? Sure, it's possible. So tell me Primus, for what reasons, that are different reasons than the reasons criminals do it, do some cops engage in criminal violent behavior? I'm all ears.

Define violent criminal behavior please. And provide example of possible. Not a cite just and example so we are clear on what you mean.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Define violent criminal behavior please. And provide example of possible. Not a cite just and example so we are clear on what you mean.

Ummm. The words are pretty easily defined. Its not like there's any difficulty in this. Behavior that is both violent and criminal.

onus

you should be banned from this site.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
you should be banned from this site.

What on earth are you talking about?

No, no, no, no.

Every time he posts his statist views, it gives the pro-liberty guys a chance to lay out pro-liberty principles to readers who may not be familiar.

No, we want him here.

Last edited:

Maverick9

Perhaps cops should treat citizens in relation to the actual threat.

Do they have the right to shoot a drooling baby because of the treat of AIDS in the saliva?

Should they slam people to the ground because of impatience?

It's becoming common to shoot the alleged perp/victim, making it easier to transport, because you know bodies just don't take the time to resist.

OC for ME

Hyperbole.....but you do have a minor point.

The "force continuum" is a joke in LE. With little in the way of consequences for "skipping a few steps" there will always be some cops who jump right from "excuse me" to "flying off the top rope." I, on the other hand, witness on a regular basis cops engaging in the hazardous task of trying to stay awake, in their cruiser, parked in a church parking lot, waiting for a nitwit drive to go speeding by. The most difficult part of LE is maintaining a girlish figure.

The bottom line, you even come close to appearing to resist arrest and that cop gets to skip, not that he will skip, some steps in the force continuum. His version is the righteous version because you appear to be resisting arrest.

Record the event and seek a redress of wrongs. Top cops seek to have their department to be held in a positive light in their communities. When the "trust" in the local LEA is degraded, usually due to the local LEAs own misdeeds, incompetence, and arrogance, the top cop trys to transfer their bad image onto the citizenry, blame the citizenry for the LEAs misfortunes. Heard that line on a local radio station just last week.

Most cops want nothing more than to be left alone to do their job the best they can. I would like for those cops to include running the few amongst them who tarnish the image of LE out of town on a rail, but they will not.

Primus

Hyperbole.....but you do have a minor point.

The "force continuum" is a joke in LE. With little in the way of consequences for "skipping a few steps" there will always be some cops who jump right from "excuse me" to "flying off the top rope." I, on the other hand, witness on a regular basis cops engaging in the hazardous task of trying to stay awake, in their cruiser, parked in a church parking lot, waiting for a nitwit drive to go speeding by. The most difficult part of LE is maintaining a girlish figure.

The bottom line, you even come close to appearing to resist arrest and that cop gets to skip, not that he will skip, some steps in the force continuum. His version is the righteous version because you appear to be resisting arrest.

Record the event and seek a redress of wrongs. Top cops seek to have their department to be held in a positive light in their communities. When the "trust" in the local LEA is degraded, usually due to the local LEAs own misdeeds, incompetence, and arrogance, the top cop trys to transfer their bad image onto the citizenry, blame the citizenry for the LEAs misfortunes. Heard that line on a local radio station just last week.

Most cops want nothing more than to be left alone to do their job the best they can. I would like for those cops to include running the few amongst them who tarnish the image of LE out of town on a rail, but they will not.

Oc can you please cite and explain the "force continuum" your referring to? Can you list any training you've had on said continuum? I ask because your speaking as if your an expert and can tell when or what level an officer is at. Also can you furnish the definition or resisting arrest? Again... for those of us who don't know enlighten us so we can be on the same level as you.

Primus

And yes of I certainly will take any experience you've had with it as a source. For example ifbyouve been arrested and charged with say arresting and they explained it in court then I'd take that. Its obviously up to you if you wish to reveal such details. Thanks in advance

SFCRetired

I don't know whether it is just being reported more or whether there is an actual increase in police violence. Can someone point me in the right direction to find the statistics from, say, 1947 to the present?

Another thing that piques my curiosity, after having read of several LEOs in my state being arrested for trafficking steroids, is how many of those officers who seem to be so out of control are under the influence of what my younger friends tell me is 'roid rage? Is the use of steroids among law enforcement that common?

This is not an attempt at bashing, but is an honest inquiry into matters this Old Man just does not understand.

I will definitely agree, after having run into it in my military career, that there are those who will use any ploy at their command to escape the consequences of their actions. Back in 1961, when I went through Basic Combat Training, we had a group to whom English was a second language, but who had been taught English in public school, some of whom would utter the phrase, "No hablo Inglis" any time they heard something they didn't like or were given an order they did not want to obey. When a couple of them were sent to the Ft. Jackson stockade for a few days and returned to the unit, we didn't see any more of that behavior.