• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hangun storage.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Many years ago 20 to 20 plus I brought three 9mm largo star supers. One for each of children and one for myself.

I fired them a little to check for functioning and accuracy the one I kept for my self was the most accurate and appeared to have had a accuracy job. it shot very well at 20 yards one ragged hole for a mag full.

I then cleaned and oiled it very well struck it back into the shipping box along with 5 mags and placed it into my safe.

I kind of forgot about until a recent thread that mentioned star pistols as a choice when buying one.

I decided I would dig it out and take a look at it. So I went into the safe that held it and dug it out.

What I found was that there was no rust the pistol looked great all the mags were rust free and looked great also.

When I removed it from the box and plastic wrapping I found that the oil I had used congealed and made the pistol very hard to operate. With some effort I was able to get the slide to move, hammer and safety to operate and finely the take down lever to work.

I am not sure it would fire as the hammer drop is very slow. I glad that I well not have to relay on it until I give it a good cleaning and oiling.

The good news is it is in very good shape and no damage after more then likely a couple of decades of storage.

Just thought some of you would find this interesting.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

After that long a period I don't not remember what oil I put on it. But it did harden up and cause the operation to be very stiff.

"Congeal has no common technical meaning, it is a term of kitchen art."

Seems to me it does.

con·geal [kuhn-jeel] Show IPA

verb (used with object), verb (used without object)

to change from a soft or fluid state to a rigid or solid state, as by cooling or freezing: The fat congealed on the top of the soup

The oil I used change from a fluid state to a harden one.

Firearms Iinstuctor

No problems or lectures just a statement of fact how the firearm was found after a long period of storage.

I have found that learning from other peoples experiences can be a good thing.

Now if any one else has had a handgun in storage that long I would more then be interested in the shape you found it.

I also understand that those who only own one or two and have limited experience with firearms could have a problem understanding this.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

No problems or lectures just a statement of fact how the firearm was found after a long period of storage.

I have found that learning from other peoples experiences can be a good thing.

Now if any one else has had a handgun in storage that long I would more then be interested in the shape you found it.

I also understand that those who only own one or two and have limited experience with firearms could have a problem understanding this.

I'm just curious as to how your unintentional 2 decade storage with X oil compares to that cosmoline stuff all commie guns are slathered with?

Better/worse rust prevention?
Operation?
Ease of cleaning?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having cleaned many a SKS that was totally covered with the commie block stuff.

This was much easier to clean and replace.

I do not think what I did or the oil that I used would have held up to worse conditions then inside a good safe.

The military preservatives are good stuff but can be a real pain to remove.

If I were to store firearms were they could be subject to worse conditions then the inside of a good safe in a house that is heated and cooled 24/7.

I would find some better stuff then what I used 20 years ago. It worked no rust or damage just stiff operation but I wouldn't trust it in harsher conditions.

Last edited:

Jeff Craddock

Hangun storage

I am also preferring hanguns from long time, and its market also growing consistently and remains one of the innovative in industry. Design of hanguns are constantly improving and becoming more usable.