• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i went to a DUI checkpoint on thursday night

onus

I've been to many checkpoints but this one took the cake. In 20 minutes the police had sent so many cars to secondary that they filled up their entire secondary area and they didn't have enough tow trucks.

From what I could gather from observing, no one was given any FST's. All the people were stopped for things other than DUI.

On the plus side, the police were very nice to about filming :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcdqi4IHh8

countryclubjoe

Are these Nazi check points authorized by a Judge?

How do the LEOS here on OC feel about these check points?

Should not the tax dollars spent on man power for these Nazi check points be better spend on some real police work.?

--------------------------------

I would caution that if you are ever suspected of DUI.

1- Remain in your vehicle.
2- Demand an attorney
3- Remain silent
4- Do not consent to any breadth tests, do not consent to a blood test.

Do not make the local leos job easier. You are not compelled to assist the police in obtaining evidence against yourself.
Reserve all your rights under the Constitution...

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

eye95

I would caution you to run the above advice by an actual attorney before following it. Hell, I'd do that with any "advice" from this poster!

countryclubjoe

I would caution you to run the above advice by an actual attorney before following it. Hell, I'd do that with any "advice" from this poster!

eye95

what would you suggest to a person that is SUSPECTED of DUI?

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Judges already approved these "checkpoints" ... more are coming (or are already here in some cases)....

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to hit them with some FOIA requests right on the spot ...

Last edited:

onus

Are these Nazi check points authorized by a Judge?

How do the LEOS here on OC feel about these check points?

Should not the tax dollars spent on man power for these Nazi check points be better spend on some real police work.?

DUI checkpoints were found to be constitutional in Michigan vs Sitz.

How do LEO's feel about checkpoints ? They all beg to be assigned to them because they make lots of money in overtime and there is catering.

This is "real" police work :(

Last edited:

Primus

Judges have ruled them legal. Last time I checked it was based on the fact that it has to be set up where you can avoid it u want/need to. Plus the advanced notice etc etc. Its designed so that IF you drive up then its because you want to.

Disclaimer: I haven't worked one or been through one.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

countryclubjoe

Judges have ruled them legal. Last time I checked it was based on the fact that it has to be set up where you can avoid it u want/need to. Plus the advanced notice etc etc. Its designed so that IF you drive up then its because you want to.

Disclaimer: I haven't worked one or been through one.

The PD also have a patrol car sitting in the so called avoid the nazi check point area, any willful avoidance by a citizen will be a reason to be stopped. That seems constitutional, NOT.

My.02

CCJ

Primus

The PD also have a patrol car sitting in the so called avoid the nazi check point area, any willful avoidance by a citizen will be a reason to be stopped. That seems constitutional, NOT.

My.02

CCJ

Any avoidance past the last exit if turn off that is mandated. Meaning you can't just drive by it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
roadblock, Roadblock, ROADBLOCK.

The word checkpoint is a deliberate deception. No sense in playing along with the government's abuse of language by using the same word.

countryclubjoe

Uhhhh! Maybe NOT drink and drive!

DUI does not always mean alcohol-- Some medications mixed with certain foods or beverages could cause a citizen to appear drunk or under the influence while operating a motor vehicle therefore said citizen if detained at a DUI nazi check point would be SUSPECTED of DUI...
Hence I cautioned said citizen to simply exercise their rights and reserve all their rights..

My .02

CCJ

WalkingWolf

DUI does not always mean alcohol-- Some medications mixed with certain foods or beverages could cause a citizen to appear drunk or under the influence while operating a motor vehicle therefore said citizen if detained at a DUI nazi check point would be SUSPECTED of DUI...
Hence I cautioned said citizen to simply exercise their rights and reserve all their rights..

My .02

CCJ

DO NOT DRIVE IMPAIRED!

I have no sympathy for scum that endanger the lives of law abiding citizens.

onus

DO NOT DRIVE IMPAIRED!

I have no sympathy for scum that endanger the lives of law abiding citizens.

I agree. That's why we should be lobbying legislators for harsher penalties for those who do drive impaired.

We should not be giving more money to police to run revenue generating, constitutional rights abusing roadblocks to snarl innocent people.

The truth is in America we are very soft on punishing people who violate DUI laws. Instead, we punish all innocent people by violating their constitutional rights.

The police are getting very rich on these checkpoints and they catch very few drunk drivers. The ones that are caught rarely serve any jail time.

countryclubjoe

roadblock, Roadblock, ROADBLOCK.

The word checkpoint is a deliberate deception. No sense in playing along with the government's abuse of language by using the same word.

INDEED, however I did use " NAZI CHECK Point" that should remove some of the governments attempt at deceiving the general public into making the citizens feel that these Nazi Check Points are for the good of the community and public safety... These roadblocks, there I said it.. LOL are simply revenue builders for the local municipality they also help justify the need for more police along with helping secure funding from the Fed all at the expense and lose of liberties by the citizen..

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Uhhhh! Maybe NOT drink and drive!

That's satisfying advice, WW. But, a little incomplete, I think.

I myself was stopped for DUI a few years ago. The cop said he stopped me for speed. But, then spent all his effort trying to pry an admission of recent drinking out of me. The exact, precise circumstances of the incident precluded me actually speeding. So, I know that wasn't the real reason I was seized.

I had not been drinking. Hadn't had a drop in at least a week.

So, refraining from drinking and driving is only a partial solution.

I have it from a reputable defense attorney that the reason the cop abandoned his DUI suspicion is because I refused consent straight down the line, including refusing consent to a field sobriety test. The attorney explained that drunks think they can pass the field sobriety tests.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Readers will want to check their own state laws. Beyond some point, refusing consent to a field sobriety test or breathalyzer may result in revocation of your driver's license. You want to where that point is exactly.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

That's satisfying advice, WW. But, a little incomplete, I think.

I myself was stopped for DUI a few years ago. The cop said he stopped me for speed. But, then spent all his effort trying to pry an admission of recent drinking out of me. Fortunately, the exact, precise circumstances of the incident precluded me actually speeding. So, I know that wasn't the real reason I was seized.

I had not been drinking. Hadn't had a drop in at least a week.

So, refraining from drinking and driving is only a partial solution.

I have it from a reputable defense attorney that the reason the cop abandoned his DUI suspicion is because I refused consent straight down the line, including refusing consent to a field sobriety test. The attorney explained that drunks think they can pass the field sobriety tests.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Readers will want to check their own state laws. Beyond some point, refusing consent to a field sobriety test or breathalyzer may result in revocation of your driver's license. You want to where that point is exactly.

I never suggested giving up rights. We already know that a police officers job is to collect evidence. I would not consent to a SB, and I am always sober. The fact is that drunks are easy to spot without SB, and it really is not necessary for roadblocks, they can easily avoid those. PC and nystagmus is all that I needed to arrest drunks. My problem with SB checks they are dangerous and the officer is responsible for the safety of the person doing them. A sober person can fail a SB, a drunk person can pass them, nystagmus cannot be faked or hidden. Nystagmus alone is not enough, but PC and nystagmus is enough for the courts, as long as the officer keeps a record.

Drunks do one of two things at stop signs, they either sit, or they run them. When we did DUI we would wait at a stop sign, it was almost 100% productive for arresting drunks. Just have to pick the right stop sign and the right time. We had a trooper who made over 400 arrests a year without using roadblocks.

Last edited: