Thread: S&W model 29

S&W model 29

I have a Smith & Wesson model 29 with 5-1/32 barrel. I like to use 44 special in it. With the original wood grips it looks big. Do you think that this is to big for open carry in a cross draw? I am starting to worry about this nasty knock out game. I am getting old and am afraid that I might look like a easy target. What do you think? should I wait for something smaller

The beauty of open carry is that with a good holster, it is comfortable to carry a full-size handgun. That barrel length is fine, if comfortable for YOU. No one else can answer in more detail. There is nothing wrong with seeing a gentleman carrying a full-size revolver. The fact that so many have moved toward smaller guns is their problem, not yours. Don't let it cause you to feel out of place.

I routinely carry my 7-1/2" Ruger Vaquero .45, even in downtown Las Vegas.
    Last edited by MAC702; 12-14-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

You might want to consider a pair of suspenders I find that with my all steel large frame revolvers it helps.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

My first duty gun was a model 27, and I only weighed about 150 pounds at the time. I had no problems with the weight of the gun. Later in years I bought a recovered model 28 which was in bad cosmetic shape. It was converted, and refinished as a 5 inch 44 special, which I sold for around 600 dollars. At the time it was a good price in the 80's. Nobody wanted a 44 special they all wanted 44 magnum. Funny that Smith returned to making the 44 special. And now ruger has brought out a blackhawk model in 44 special.

Wear your 29 with pride, IMO 5 inch is the perfect barrel length for carry.

Let me warn you~~you will get nothing but grief if you talk about OC on HPFF, some of those guys are very anti RKBA.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 12-15-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    You might want to consider a pair of suspenders I find that with my all steel large frame revolvers it helps.
    Had to laugh when I read this, I've been wearing suspenders with my steel framed guns for quite some time now. It does make a big difference when carrying and no more pulling the pants up all the time. My biggest large frame gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 629 Classic 44mag with 5 inch barrel. Glad to hear I'm not the only one wearing suspenders.

I wore suspenders until I lost 30 pounds, no more problems with sagging pants now.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I have always been on the skinny side and the model 28 I carried as my first duty gun was heavy. I soon went to something lighter.

I find that distributing the weight of heavy hand guns with suspenders works very well for me.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

I don't wear my gun belt on my waist. I wear the belt on my hips. But before I lost the weight I had no hips to hold up the belt. First duty belt was one of those Safariland double velcro with a waist belt. I learned quick that trying to hold up a heavy belt with radio and gun was not going to work on the waist.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I don't wear my gun belt on my waist. I wear the belt on my hips. But before I lost the weight I had no hips to hold up the belt. First duty belt was one of those Safariland double velcro with a waist belt. I learned quick that trying to hold up a heavy belt with radio and gun was not going to work on the waist.
    I tried the Velcro system I found that the Velcro wore fairly fast and one had to buy a new belts.

Personally preference is a good thing allows us to choose the best way for each one of us.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Really, really like my Perry side hook suspenders - have several pair and always "hook-up" before going out.

http://www.suspenderstore.com/perry-...uspenders.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Really, really like my Perry side hook suspenders - have several pair and always "hook-up" before going out.

The Perry belt clip suspenders is what I use. Happened to stumble on them at Walmart. Just nice walking around not pulling up my britches all the time.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKH2O View Post
    The Perry belt clip suspenders is what I use. Happened to stumble on them at Walmart. Just nice walking around not pulling up my britches all the time.
    Wal-Mart has the basic three colors: Blk, red, & tan (pinkish), but doesn't stock the side clip suspenders = 2 point connection like a shoulder rig.

Ask them about the heavy duty option (2 X thicker) - it is uber comfortable and easily would support 2 model 29s, cell phone, speed loaders, digital recorder + anything else you would hang on your waist.

There is a fringe benefit if you carry OWB at 3:00 - hook the suspenders between the belt slide openings and the holster will be locked in position.

Perry also makes a nice 1 1/2" wide leather belt w/no buckle - super strong and very comfortable.
    http://www.suspenderstore.com/butrbe.html

They are American made by a firm that understands the needs of those that carry. Give them a call - they are most accommodating
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Wal-Mart has the basic three colors: Blk, red, & tan (pinkish), but doesn't stock the side clip suspenders = 2 point connection like a shoulder rig.

Ask them about the heavy duty option (2 X thicker) - it is uber comfortable and easily would support 2 model 29s, cell phone, speed loaders, digital recorder + anything else you would hang on your waist.

There is a fringe benefit if you carry OWB at 3:00 - hook the suspenders between the belt slide openings and the holster will be locked in position.

Perry also makes a nice 1 1/2" wide leather belt w/no buckle - super strong and very comfortable.
    http://www.suspenderstore.com/butrbe.html

They are American made by a firm that understands the needs of those that carry. Give them a call - they are most accommodating
    Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check these out.