• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W model 29

rahartwell

I have a Smith & Wesson model 29 with 5-1/32 barrel. I like to use 44 special in it. With the original wood grips it looks big. Do you think that this is to big for open carry in a cross draw? I am starting to worry about this nasty knock out game. I am getting old and am afraid that I might look like a easy target. What do you think? should I wait for something smaller

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The beauty of open carry is that with a good holster, it is comfortable to carry a full-size handgun. That barrel length is fine, if comfortable for YOU. No one else can answer in more detail. There is nothing wrong with seeing a gentleman carrying a full-size revolver. The fact that so many have moved toward smaller guns is their problem, not yours. Don't let it cause you to feel out of place.

I routinely carry my 7-1/2" Ruger Vaquero .45, even in downtown Las Vegas.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My first duty gun was a model 27, and I only weighed about 150 pounds at the time. I had no problems with the weight of the gun. Later in years I bought a recovered model 28 which was in bad cosmetic shape. It was converted, and refinished as a 5 inch 44 special, which I sold for around 600 dollars. At the time it was a good price in the 80's. Nobody wanted a 44 special they all wanted 44 magnum. Funny that Smith returned to making the 44 special. And now ruger has brought out a blackhawk model in 44 special.

Wear your 29 with pride, IMO 5 inch is the perfect barrel length for carry.

Let me warn you~~you will get nothing but grief if you talk about OC on HPFF, some of those guys are very anti RKBA.

Last edited:

BLKH2O

You might want to consider a pair of suspenders I find that with my all steel large frame revolvers it helps.

Had to laugh when I read this, I've been wearing suspenders with my steel framed guns for quite some time now. It does make a big difference when carrying and no more pulling the pants up all the time. My biggest large frame gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 629 Classic 44mag with 5 inch barrel. Glad to hear I'm not the only one wearing suspenders.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have always been on the skinny side and the model 28 I carried as my first duty gun was heavy. I soon went to something lighter.

I find that distributing the weight of heavy hand guns with suspenders works very well for me.

WalkingWolf

I don't wear my gun belt on my waist. I wear the belt on my hips. But before I lost the weight I had no hips to hold up the belt. First duty belt was one of those Safariland double velcro with a waist belt. I learned quick that trying to hold up a heavy belt with radio and gun was not going to work on the waist.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I don't wear my gun belt on my waist. I wear the belt on my hips. But before I lost the weight I had no hips to hold up the belt. First duty belt was one of those Safariland double velcro with a waist belt. I learned quick that trying to hold up a heavy belt with radio and gun was not going to work on the waist.

I tried the Velcro system I found that the Velcro wore fairly fast and one had to buy a new belts.

Personally preference is a good thing allows us to choose the best way for each one of us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Perry belt clip suspenders is what I use. Happened to stumble on them at Walmart. Just nice walking around not pulling up my britches all the time.
Wal-Mart has the basic three colors: Blk, red, & tan (pinkish), but doesn't stock the side clip suspenders = 2 point connection like a shoulder rig.

Ask them about the heavy duty option (2 X thicker) - it is uber comfortable and easily would support 2 model 29s, cell phone, speed loaders, digital recorder + anything else you would hang on your waist.
http://www.suspenderstore.com/perry-side-clip-suspenders.html

There is a fringe benefit if you carry OWB at 3:00 - hook the suspenders between the belt slide openings and the holster will be locked in position.

Perry also makes a nice 1 1/2" wide leather belt w/no buckle - super strong and very comfortable.
http://www.suspenderstore.com/butrbe.html

They are American made by a firm that understands the needs of those that carry. Give them a call - they are most accommodating
icon14.png

BLKH2O

Wal-Mart has the basic three colors: Blk, red, & tan (pinkish), but doesn't stock the side clip suspenders = 2 point connection like a shoulder rig.

Ask them about the heavy duty option (2 X thicker) - it is uber comfortable and easily would support 2 model 29s, cell phone, speed loaders, digital recorder + anything else you would hang on your waist.
http://www.suspenderstore.com/perry-side-clip-suspenders.html

There is a fringe benefit if you carry OWB at 3:00 - hook the suspenders between the belt slide openings and the holster will be locked in position.

Perry also makes a nice 1 1/2" wide leather belt w/no buckle - super strong and very comfortable.
http://www.suspenderstore.com/butrbe.html

They are American made by a firm that understands the needs of those that carry. Give them a call - they are most accommodating
icon14.png

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check these out.