• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while traveling across 4 states. WA, OR, ID, UT.

dakatak87

I am going to be traveling from Washington to Utah for Christmas. I don't yet have a CPL and don't want this to hinder my carry while traveling.
I am asking for a quick rundown on the open carry and car carry for Idaho, Utah, and Oregon.

Thanks for your responses

I will be on I82 to I84 in Oregon to Idaho.

I will be on I84 all the way to I15 in Idaho.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I will not comment much regarding Washington, Oregon or Idaho as I am not a resident in those states. As for Utah, the law states that it is UNLAWFUL to carry in a vehicle UNLESS----

First, you are 18 years or older
Second, you are in Lawful possession of the vehicle OR have the permission for the party in lawful possession of the vehicle.

IF both of these conditions are met you can lawfully OC, CC, LOADED, or UNLOADED as LONG AS YOU ARE IN THE VEHICLE.

Upon leaving the vehicle, you must be OC'ing and the firearm MUST be UNLOADED if you are on a public road and not in a vehicle.
Utah defines "unloaded" as more that one single action required to fire the gun and no round in the chamber for a semi-auto or no round in the cylinder UNDER the hammer and the next one in rotation sequence for a revolver.

Utah does recognize the permits from ANY state or county, but you say you don't have a permit.

Regarding OREGON, when I have carried in a vehicle or for fuel stops in OREGON I have made sure I am OC'ing as they don't recognize my Utah or AZ permits. It is my understanding that as long as the firearm is visible in or on a vehicle you are good to go in Oregon except for those city's that have banned OC. My trips have be Motorcycle OC and I've not had any issues or problems. Your mileage may vary.

Idaho does recognize my UTAH permit so I've not worried about it either way.

As for Washington, my understanding is that to lawfully have a firearm in the vehicle that is not being carried in a manner compliant with the Federal Transport law (unloaded, and secured in a locked container, from a location where you may lawfully possess to another location where you may lawfully possess) YOU MUST HAVE A PERMIT EITHER FROM WASHINGTON OR A STATE THEY RECOGNIZE.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Utah defines "unloaded" as more that one single action required to fire the gun and no round in the chamber for a semi-auto or no round in the cylinder UNDER the hammer and the next one in rotation sequence for a revolver...

Minor clarification, please. That is not how UT defines it, but that is how most interpret it. Your definition actually assumed a double-action revolver, for example. A single-action revolver (which was the weapon in mind when UT wrote this antiquated law) would only need the charge hole under the hammer to be empty to be in compliance with that interpretation.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Minor clarification, please. That is not how UT defines it, but that is how most interpret it. Your definition actually assumed a double-action revolver, for example. A single-action revolver (which was the weapon in mind when UT wrote this antiquated law) would only need the charge hole under the hammer to be empty to be in compliance with that interpretation.

Agreed, and I'll make a claim for some forgiveness as i don't own a single action revolver of any kind. I debated even putting the revolver part in since it is complicated. Also, IF you have a revolver that has a hammer rest position between cylinders that requires you to manually position the hammer in the rearward position before the gun will fire YOU CAN HAVE ALL CYLINDERS LOADED since there in NO cylinder UNDER the hammer and it requires more than one action to fire. I do have one like this!

Of course, if you have a permit you are fully exempt from any of this post!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I debated even putting the revolver part in since it is complicated. Also, IF you have a revolver that has a hammer rest position between cylinders that requires you to manually position the hammer in the rearward position before the gun will fire YOU CAN HAVE ALL CYLINDERS LOADED since there in NO cylinder UNDER the hammer and it requires more than one action to fire. I do have one like this!...

I understand the frustration of having to hit these stupid details when discussing UT's stupid law. I thought they almost amended that part last year, but I'm not paying too much attention to their bills, just what actual changes get made.

And yes! There are some revolvers out there that even get past their criteria fully loaded. Only the Freedom Arms and North American Arms miniature .22's come to mind, but I've heard there are others.

To the OP, remember that this stupid technicality only applies on public roads when not in your vehicle. You can probably enjoy your entire visit of the state and not worry about it if you don't park on public streets!

UT has perhaps the best overall gun laws in the country, and they really surprise me by keeping this weird one leftover from mandating safety on old single-action revolvers without any foresight to modern firearms.

sudden valley gunner

In Washington for vehicle travel you only need to have nothing in the chamber and no magazine inserted, it does not have to be in containers or separated.

Loaded open carry is perfectly legal without any permits. (except for vehicles)

Just stay out of federal buildings.

Schools (can pick up kids outside with permit)
Places where minors are prohibited (under 21 such as bars)
secure areas of jails or police stations, egress areas are exempt
Court rooms, they must provide a means of securing your weapon, lockbox or designated person.

dakatak87

Thank you for the input so far.

I will be staying in Utah for the holiday. So I am also researching the carry laws there.

OREGON
"Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal;" opencarry.org

Does this mean I can have my pistol on my hip and loaded in Oregon? Or does it need to be visible?

IDAHO
"You may open carry in a vehicle. It must be clearly visible." opencarry.org

This is clear on the visibility, but can I carry loaded?

UTAH
"Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty." opencarry.org

"You may carry in your vehicle open or concealed just like in your home." opencarry.org

I can carry on me in my vehicle any way I want? But to open carry in public my semi-auto double action pistol can be loaded but with no round in the chamber?
as in: un-holster, rack the slide(chamber a round), acquire target ;), and pull trigger?

Washington

I am familiar with Washington carry laws because I live here. And because I don't have a CPL I usually carry mag loaded none in chamber. That allows me to unload when I get in a vehicle just be removing the mag. No need to un-holster.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
UTAH
"Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty." opencarry.org

"You may carry in your vehicle open or concealed just like in your home." opencarry.org

I can carry on me in my vehicle any way I want? But to open carry in public my semi-auto double action pistol can be loaded but with no round in the chamber?
as in: un-holster, rack the slide(chamber a round), acquire target ;), and pull trigger?

Basically, yes. Keep in mind the weird "unloaded" condition is only applicable on public streets when not in your vehicle. So walking down the sidewalk, this applies. Of course, if any part of your walking takes you there, then you'd want this condition before starting your walk.

The single-action revolver is a better choice to carry for those who are not exempt from this antiquated law.

This is always an option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn3Idb3oVgc

But has ANYONE EVER been hassled, much less prosecuted, for a violation? Not to my knowledge, but I've not thoroughly investigated it.

Last edited:

mjcromp

Oregon is a OC state. With certain city restrictions. If you are our of Portland,Salem Eugene areas then it won't bother you. Loaded in plain sight is ok. Concealed in vehicle has to be "not readily accessible" trunk, burried under/in suitcase........

acmariner99

Oregon: Must be clearly visible or "not readily accessible" where a city or county has not banned loaded carry sin a CHL. Travel through those areas require the magazine to be unloaded in addition to the firearm.

Idaho: Must be clearly visible on foot or in a vehicle if the weapon is loaded.

Utah: You can carry loaded and in any fashion you choose provided you are allowed to possess a firearm and have permission of the vehicle's owner. Loaded OC must be "two steps from firing."

I can provide a summary I have put together if you wish - handgunlaw.us has all of the relevant state codes for all of what I stated above.

dakatak87

Thanks again for the input on this subject.

Here is my plan while driving from Tacoma area to Salt lake area.

WA- Pistol will be on my hip with the mag out where I keep it.

OR & ID- Holster will be on the seatbelt on my chest so as to be clearly visible and secure in the vehicle. I will put it back on my belt for stops.
Mag in, no round in the chamber. OR- I'll be driving through Hermiston, Pendleton, Le Grande, Baker City and Ontario.

UT- Pistol will be on my hip with mag in, no round in chamber.

I have my recorder handy and will keep you all updated of any happenings.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks again for the input on this subject.

Here is my plan while driving from Tacoma area to Salt lake area.

WA- Pistol will be on my hip with the mag out where I keep it.

OR & ID- Holster will be on the seatbelt on my chest so as to be clearly visible and secure in the vehicle. I will put it back on my belt for stops.
Mag in, no round in the chamber. OR- I'll be driving through Hermiston, Pendleton, Le Grande, Baker City and Ontario.

UT- Pistol will be on my hip with mag in, no round in chamber.

I have my recorder handy and will keep you all updated of any happenings.

Travel safe, and have a fun trip.