• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i really angered some people today

Status
Not open for further replies.

onus

Today I went out to lunch with my best friend. She has a brother who is gay and is very prominent in the gay community and works for some high profile gay advocacy groups. He is also a rabid liberal.

My friend make me promise that I wouldn't discuss politics and I agreed.

Well, there were 6 people at the lunch. 4 were homosexuals and all are rabid liberals except me.

They were talking politics the entire time and I kept my mouth shut.

Finally, they started talking gun control and Newtown. They were spouting all the usual loony liberal anti-gun talking points and I couldn't take it anymore.

They were saying how asanine it was that people complained about waiting a few days to get a gun. They complained how selfish it was that people complained they had to take a written test to get a gun permit.

I said I agreed that we need background checks and permits to have guns. I said we had to do it to save lives and reduce health care costs.

I then said I have always thought that everyone aged 18 and over in America should need a permit to engage in sex. They have to take a written test demonstrating they know about STD transmission and how to prevent it. I said we also need people to take a blood test and anyone who comes back HIV positive wouldn't get a license to have sex.

You could hear a pin drop.

I said "its a crime in almost every state to have sex if you know you have HIV so I don't see any problem with a permit and testing process to save lives"

Well, things didn't go so well and I think my best friend isn't my best friend anymore. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

cirrusly

Today I went out to lunch with my best friend. She has a brother who is gay and is very prominent in the gay community and works for some high profile gay advocacy groups. He is also a rabid liberal.

Well, there were 6 people at the lunch. 4 were homosexuals and all are rabid liberals except me.

Finally, they started talking gun control and Newtown. They were spouting all the usual loony liberal anti-gun talking points and I couldn't take it anymore.

They were saying how asanine it was that people complained about waiting a few days to get a gun. They complained how selfish it was that people complained they had to take a written test to get a gun permit.

I said I agreed that we need background checks and permits to have guns. I said we had to do it to save lives and reduce health care costs.

I then said I have always thought that everyone aged 18 and over in America should need a permit to engage in sex. They have to take a written test demonstrating they know about STD transmission and how to prevent it. I said we also need people to take a blood test and anyone who comes back HIV positive wouldn't get a license to have sex.

I said "its a crime in almost every state to have sex if you know you have HIV so I don't see any problem with a permit and testing process to save lives"

Well, things didn't go so well and I think my best friend isn't my best friend anymore. lol

Interesting conversation. Many liberals, including states' governments conveniently "forget" that the second amendment right is a fundamental right, and subject to strict scrutiny. As such, whenever SCOTUS has ruled on a second amendment case, the court has applied strict scrutiny.

Strict scrutiny is the most rigorous form of judicial review. As such, the government has the burden of proving that the policy being challenged is constitutional. More specifically, the court must determine the policy passes three "tests"
1. The policy achieves compelling government interests. The interests must be deemed "critical" rather than preferred, traditionally relating to national security.
2. The policy must be narrowly tailored to achieve said interest. Thus, if the policy must not be overly broad or vague.
3. The policy must be the least restrictive means to achieving the interest. Thus, if there is a less intrusive means, the policy is not valid.

As I mentioned, SCOTUS has demonstrated any policies or regulation on the the right to keep and bear arms is subject to strict scrutiny. So if the "rapid liberals" deem policy such as "tak[ing] a written test to get a gun permit" is permissible under strict scrutiny, inherently they would agree that "a written test demonstrating they know about STD transmission and how to prevent it" is permissible.

If they disagree with the second amendment being subject to strict scrutiny, then they are in affect refuting the US Constitution and the fundamentals of strict scrutiny. And I wouldn't be surprised with this either. The soviet state of Maryland and California do this all the time with the second amendment.

I applaud your sound reasoning when conversing with those liberals. You are the one who should be offended, not them.

Brace

It's a cute image. Generally, when people try to frame the conversation as being about things like selfishness and paranoia, I try to reframe it as being about the effectiveness of policy. I say "I would agree with you if I thought the policies achieved their intended aim and didn't come with potentially serious costs" and other such things periodically, basically interjecting a sentence or two into the conversation every few minutes. It seems more rhetorically sound than your rather socially explosive reductio ad absurdum.

stealthyeliminator

I'd pay to see a video of that one... Sounds pretty funny. If that actually went down like that, it was pretty rude of your friend to not steer the conversation away from politics after asking you to not discuss that. Might as well has just said come to eat with me and listen to my other friends talk about stuff you disagree with and don't say a word. Rude rude rude

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Before we get too deep into the philosophical discussion on this allegorical event let's look at a few things.

First this self professed, virtually full time audio/video enthusiast apparently has no supporting evidence of this event - nothing but his word, his reputation which some would say is less than stellar here.

So where does that leave us. He has reported an alleged event and immediately the thread morphs off topic.

Looking for substantiation and staying on topic after that if the thread is to remain. IMO threads such as this are marginal at best, even in the Social Lounge.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Before we get too deep into the philosophical discussion on this allegorical event let's look at a few things.

First this self professed, virtually full time audio/video enthusiast apparently has no supporting evidence of this event - nothing but his word, his reputation which some would say is less than stellar here.

So where does that leave us. He has reported an alleged event and immediately the thread morphs off topic.

Looking for substantiation and staying on topic after that if the thread is to remain. IMO threads such as this are marginal at best, even in the Social Lounge.

And exactly what type of supporting evidence are you looking for grape? Really, most people do not walk around with a video recorder/audio recorder running....so what exactly would you want? 99% of folks speak of their everyday experiences w/o such comments.

cirrusly

And exactly what type of supporting evidence are you looking for grape? Really, most people do not walk around with a video recorder/audio recorder running....so what exactly would you want? 99% of folks speak of their everyday experiences w/o such comments.

+1
There are numerous LEO encounter stories in here with no more evidence than the narrative of the poster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onus

So where does that leave us.

It leaves you looking rather silly and bitter.

I record public officials working in their public capacity.

I don't take video cameras to lunch with a friend and 4 people I don't know.

Do you ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It leaves you looking rather silly and bitter.

I record public officials working in their public capacity.

I don't take video cameras to lunch with a friend and 4 people I don't know.

Do you ?

I will take that as a "No."

I audio record 24/7 when I am out, as do many of us here + have the capacity to video and make use of it for "interviews."

Appreciate your story but see you were not able to add to it except for your insult. Others have no knowlege of it.

The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.