Thread: Sheriffs Refuse to Enforce Laws on Gun Control. NYT 12/15/13

Sheriffs Refuse to Enforce Laws on Gun Control. NYT 12/15/13

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/16/us...n-control.html

TOTAL STATE SHERIFFS ASSOCIATIONS: 18
    Updated 12/16/2013 - http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-enforce-new-/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Would any of those sheriffs that support the 2a have their deputies arrest a local cop observed enforcing the "bad law?" Nope.....too bad. It is a step in the right direction. One less group of cops bugging OCers.

Banned
    they are not going to stop arrests for local PDs, right?

Then its just grandstanding....

Police and sheriffs have generally different jurisdictions ....

... and their access to the court system is the same, via the state's attorneys. No sheriff could afford the budget of supervising cops, nor could the sheriff afford the political repercussions, the sheriff being elected usually.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

nice that they're on our side but it's pure grandstanding.

LGS won't now resume stocking 30rd mags. Online shops still won't ship them to my Colorado address. Face-to-face sales between private parties via Armslist and similar sites still won't happen because the seller will be too afraid to do it w/o an FFL.

Why hasn't Grapeshot locked this thread? We advocate for the "law" abiding here on OCDO, no matter how disgusting and immoral that "law" is. I guess it's because it's ok to break the law when you're a cop but not when you're a mundane, or one who employs the cops.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-21-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Why hasn't Grapeshot locked this thread? We advocate for the "law" abiding here on OCDO, no matter how disgusting and immoral that "law" is. I guess it's because it's ok to break the law when you're a cop but not when you're a mundane, or one who employs the cops.
    Not enforcing an unconstitutional law is not "break[ing] the law."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Not enforcing an unconstitutional law is not "break[ing] the law."

<o>
    Yet I'm told refusing to obey an unconstitutional law as a citizen is.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Banned
    Yet I'm told refusing to obey an unconstitutional law as a citizen is.
    Not enforcing an unconstitutional law is not "refusing to obey an unconstitutional law."

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Not enforcing an unconstitutional law is not "refusing to obey an unconstitutional law."

<o>
    There, but for the grace of the state, go I.

Founder's Club Member
    There, but for the grace of the state, go I.
    I got $5 says Colorado has a statute laying out the duties of sheriffs. And, the same or another statute requiring them to take an oath to faithfully execute or enforce the laws of Colorado.

Nevermind the fact that the sheriffs, by announcing that they refuse to enforce the laws, are themselves encouraging those laws to be broken.
    Last edited by Citizen; 12-22-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I got $5 says Colorado has a statute laying out the duties of sheriffs. And, the same or another statute requiring them to take an oath to faithfully execute or enforce the laws of Colorado.

Nevermind the fact that the sheriffs, by announcing that they refuse to enforce the laws, are themselves encouraging those laws to be broken.
    I'll send you a MP with the address where you can send the $5

http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/busi...lable/OATH.pdf

Only states the constitutions of the US and Colorado; therefore not enforcing unconstitutional laws IS the duty of county sheriffs.

Damn I love the west; they tend to keep things short and simple.
    Last edited by F350; 12-22-2013 at 03:55 PM.