• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news - Colorado sheriffs refusing to enforce state's new gun laws

Augustin

At least there is some good news following the recent school shooting in Colorado. The state's sheriffs are not only refusing to enforce the ban on normal-capacity magazines, but they are also not going to enforce the ban on universal background checks. Unfortunately, I'd bet good gold that many city cops are salivating at the prospect of putting the cuffs on gun owner terrorists who can't prove when their mag was purchased.

Colorado sheriffs refusing to enforce state's new strict gun law branding it 'unconstitutional'

All but seven of Colorado's 62-elected sheriff's are refusing to enforce a law they have sworn to uphold by failing to enact universal background checks and a ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds.

Despite failing last month in their bid to sue the state over the new firearm restrictions as unconstitutional, Sheriff's such as John Cooke of Weld County have taken the unprecedented step to ignore the laws - calling them too vague and a violation of Second Amendment rights.

Despite their introduction in the wake of mass shootings in Newtown, and Colorado's own massacres at Aurora and Columbine in 1999, Cooke and 55 other sheriff's have designated the new laws 'very low priority'.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nforce-states-new-strict-gun-legislation.html

Augustin

Whoo. I missed that part. Very interesting.

Actually there is now a long list of "Consitutional LEOs" that have vowed to uphold and defend the Constitution against any future gun control laws that the Obama regime might attempt to impose.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...ng-no-to-obama-gun-control-video-2850512.html

The above article reads in part:

Growing List Of Sheriffs, Associations, And Police Chiefs Saying ‘NO’ To Obama Gun Control (Video)

The following sheriffs, state sheriff’s associations, and police chiefs have vowed to uphold and defend the Constitution against Obama’s unconstitutional gun control measures. We applaud these public servants for their courage and conviction.

The remarkable thing about what these brave men and women are doing is that nobody told them to do it. Neither the CSPOA nor any other organization that we are aware of contacted sheriffs across the nation and asked them to make statements; this is something sheriffs did on their own, or because their constituents requested it of them. Soon, people started submitting letters and links to us, and it was such a remarkable thing that we started to collect all the names and list them together. Then the miracle happened: Other sheriffs across the nation have been inspired by the courage of those who stood first. Now we see the power of standing, even if you fear you may stand alone.

NOW, powered by the gaining momentum of this movement, the CSPOA has joined with other like-minded organizations in a largely volunteer effort to contact all the remaining sheriffs and ask them for a statement. You can read more about this effort here.

“I call on sheriffs all over this nation to add their voices to the growing numbers of faithful protectors of our freedom.”

- Richard Mack

RockyMtnScotsman

sounds good in the news but doesn't really mean much in practice. gun shops aren't going to resume stocking 30 rd magazines. Armslist person-to-person sales are still going to be too afraid to do it w/o going through an FFL.

JG_Buffalo

The sheriff's and their deputies might not be enforcing but city police departments and state troopers will. Between friends and family the rules will probably get ignored but the armslist sellers will likely go through FFLs and then sell "factory magazine repair kits" for the weapons afterwards.

RockyMtnScotsman

sales between family and friends was impossible to enforce anyway; so saying you're not going to enforce the impossible is meaningless

don't get me wrong, I'm glad our Sheriff's are on our side vs the state legislature but this is more grandstanding than substance

Last edited:

fighting_for_freedom

If the sheriffs wanted to do something meaningful, they'd issue a statement saying that they will arrest anyone attempting to ENFORCE these laws, and then back that statement up. I mean, if they say it's unconstitutional, then enforcing the law would be a crime. Let the courts decide who's right.

Either make a stand, or don't. Don't half-a** it.