Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID Scanning law

ID Scanning law

Help me out here. I swear I saw in the MO law a spot where it's illegal for businesses to scan your ID when you purchase alcohol/tobacco/etc. Anyone know the exact RSMO number for the law? Or at least where I can start looking so I don't have to wade through hundreds of thousands of pages of law?

Thanks!!
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Refuse and see what happens. Is there a liquor store that does not scan? As to you specific question, I've never witnessed such a thing. A age check at the counter, but no scanning. The business can require as a condition of the sale and you can refuse and go elsewhere.

I'll do a little research and see what I can find. No promises though.

I've seen it happen at Wally's.

I thought it an interesting question and used my huge search-foo at the Missouri statutes page, but with no joy, thinking perhaps that "scan" is not the legalistic term used in the hypothetical statute.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Ive seen it in MA also, so it may not just be a state specific thing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I thought it an interesting question and used my huge search-foo at the Missouri statutes page, but with no joy, thinking perhaps that "scan" is not the legalistic term used in the hypothetical statute.
    Try "alcohol" or "age verification".

Easier yet, contact the state agency that is responsible for issuing licenses to alcohol vendors. They're most likely the ones that made any rule that's in place.

Which brings up the last point - if it's a regulation rather than a statute, it will be found in your state's administrative code.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Refuse and see what happens. Is there a liquor store that does not scan? As to you specific question, I've never witnessed such a thing. A age check at the counter, but no scanning. The business can require as a condition of the sale and you can refuse and go elsewhere.

Yes there are still plenty. I live across from one and I've only been carded twice. Once when I first moved there and again when I met the owner's brother who co-owns the store. There's also a drive thru across town where they look it over and hand it back and it never leaves your sight.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Yes there are still plenty. I live across from one and I've only been carded twice. Once when I first moved there and again when I met the owner's brother who co-owns the store. There's also a drive thru across town where they look it over and hand it back and it never leaves your sight.
    I'm going to refuse tonight at Walmart. I will tell you what happens. I'm out of whiskey anyways and my neighbors only have the expensive ones left. Drunk is drunk no matter what the price lol

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    I'm going to refuse tonight at Walmart. I will tell you what happens. I'm out of whiskey anyways and my neighbors only have the expensive ones left. Drunk is drunk no matter what the price lol
    Qurʼan, Surah 5 (al-Maʼidah), ayah 90

It is wonderful that so much virtual cultural relativity is on-line.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-17-2013 at 10:56 AM.

RSMo Identification, acceptable forms. 311.328 - http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3110000328.HTM

No requirement in the law to retain ID data.

Qurʼan, Surah 5 (al-Maʼidah), ayah 90

It is wonderful that so much virtual cultural relativity is on-line.
    "This is my body, drink of it" cannibal.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

Founder's Club Member

I've had some luck refusing to show identity, and calling for a manager. This is in VA, though, so you results may vary.

So far, every manager took one look at me and realized I was old enough. And, used his managers "code" to bypass the computer restriction and make the sale.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I've never had an ID scanned... usually the cashier looks at me, the picture, and the birthday, without me even taking it out of my wallet or my wallet leaving my hands.

Very interesting, everyone.

So far, this has only happened to me when I try to buy at a convenience store. Chains like Schnucks, Dierbergs, Walmart, etc. have not scanned my ID.

I swear I saw a part in the statutes that forbade scanning. Might have been in RSMO 571 now that I think about it. Part of the CCW records debacle.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Very interesting, everyone.

So far, this has only happened to me when I try to buy at a convenience store. Chains like Schnucks, Dierbergs, Walmart, etc. have not scanned my ID.

I swear I saw a part in the statutes that forbade scanning. Might have been in RSMO 571 now that I think about it. Part of the CCW records debacle.
    That's was my immediate thoughts too.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

I'm all tapped out. Can't find anywhere, in RSMo where a liquor store is mandated by the state to scan your DL (ID) to purchase booze. There is a restriction on the state that prohibits the disclosure of data, RSMo 571.500.

Tell the cashier no and see what happens. If it is a condition of the sale, then leave the stuff on the counter and walk out. Let us know who does this and we can boycott them.

I find your answer difficult to parse. You specific question never witnessed 'such a thing'. IOW, one that does not scan? Then you say 'age check but no scanning. Anyway, I don't drink so I don't care, except that I think people should drink at home and not in the car.

Yeah it would be bad if the clerk said 'dude you look TOO old to be drinking...'. LOL

I have never witnessed a store that scans a DL (ID).

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    I find your answer difficult to parse. You specific question never witnessed 'such a thing'. IOW, one that does not scan? Then you say 'age check but no scanning. Anyway, I don't drink so I don't care, except that I think people should drink at home and not in the car.
    Age check = cashier looking at the ID which shows birth date. Scanning it includes running it through the computer and letting the machine pick up the date like sliding your CC.

Not sure anyone particularly cares about age restrictions, more what is done with the data if it is scanned vs looked at.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Age check = cashier looking at the ID which shows birth date. Scanning it includes running it through the computer and letting the machine pick up the date like sliding your CC. Not sure anyone particularly cares about age restrictions, more what is done with the data if it is scanned vs looked at.
    Ahh, so "scanning" does mean some sort of database access. Is armed status included or precluded from public access?

Ahh, so "scanning" does mean some sort of database access. Is armed status included or precluded from public access?
    The computers don't access a centralized database. They are just reading the DOB information on the card. It's stored as a QR code (or something like it) which is machine readable.

Quote Originally Posted by Defrock View Post
    The computers don't access a centralized database. They are just reading the DOB information on the card. It's stored as a QR code (or something like it) which is machine readable.
    Is armed status included or precluded from the QR code (or something like it)?

The point being that the user knows what is text on the card, what data is included, but not the computer gibberish.

How would your DL (ID) know if you are currently armed? How would your DL (ID) know if you owned firearms? Especially in MO.

I'm all tapped out. Can't find anywhere, in RSMo where a liquor store is mandated by the state to scan your DL (ID) to purchase booze. There is a restriction on the state that prohibits the disclosure of data, RSMo 571.500.

Tell the cashier no and see what happens. If it is a condition of the sale, then leave the stuff on the counter and walk out. Let us know who does this and we can boycott them.
    I think you misunderstood my original question. I'm not looking for a law that requires them to scan ID's. I'm looking for one that forbids the scanning of ID's.

As for who does it, it's mostly gas stations. Sadly, QT is the worst. I like them, but not if they keep this up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast