• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ID Scanning law

Oramac

I'm all tapped out. Can't find anywhere, in RSMo where a liquor store is mandated by the state to scan your DL (ID) to purchase booze. There is a restriction on the state that prohibits the disclosure of data, RSMo 571.500.

Tell the cashier no and see what happens. If it is a condition of the sale, then leave the stuff on the counter and walk out. Let us know who does this and we can boycott them.

I think you misunderstood my original question. I'm not looking for a law that requires them to scan ID's. I'm looking for one that forbids the scanning of ID's.

As for who does it, it's mostly gas stations. Sadly, QT is the worst. I like them, but not if they keep this up.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I think you misunderstood my original question. I'm not looking for a law that requires them to scan ID's. I'm looking for one that forbids the scanning of ID's.

As for who does it, it's mostly gas stations. Sadly, QT is the worst. I like them, but not if they keep this up.

I think it's arguably a class actionable violation of the Driver's Privacy Protection Act for any business to scan and retain motor vehicle information from a driver's license for a non-motor vehicle related purpose.

attrapereves

I've only had it happen once in MO. I was getting a phone from T-Mobile. It was just an easy way of getting the information that I was going to give them anyways. However, I would not want to provide my ID to a store for purchases.

F350

I've only had it happen once in MO. I was getting a phone from T-Mobile. It was just an easy way of getting the information that I was going to give them anyways. However, I would not want to provide my ID to a store for purchases.

Do you KNOW all of what information is contained on that magnetic stripe????? That is one hell of a lot of storage capacity.