• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC While Hunting

samkent

The boss informed me that it is illegal to carry a hand gun while hunting.
Is this true?

It started when I emailed him a link to a bow hunters encounter with a bear.
If it were me and I had my carry, I would have opened up on the bear.

[video=youtube;8jRTrRxamxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRTrRxamxQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Can ODNR rules supercede Ohio carry law?

Suckerspawn

Is this true?

It depends on what and how you are hunting. Hunting with handguns is legal in Ohio and if you are hunting with a handgun it must be carried openly. If you are hunting deer with a long gun, bow, or crossbow, and have a CHL, you may carry a handgun concealed.

I believe the ODNR has regulations in effect that do supercede the Ohio Revised Code section 9.68. I have recently contacted my state representative, state senator, and also the Attorney General's office on this matter. I have not received a reply from any of them, yet.

Last edited:

Troy bilt

I have been checked by ODNR while dove, and rabbit hunting. While dove hunting the officer asked to see my CHL. I told him that I was not concealing and therefor did not need to show him a CHL. He took a few seconds and said something like ok make since to me. Never asked for ID or hunting license, but I get checked by this guy at least 3 times a year. Opening day of dove, rabbit / pheasant, and deer.

OC for ME

I have been checked by ODNR while dove, and rabbit hunting. While dove hunting the officer asked to see my CHL. I told him that I was not concealing and therefor did not need to show him a CHL. He took a few seconds and said something like ok make since to me. Never asked for ID or hunting license, but I get checked by this guy at least 3 times a year. Opening day of dove, rabbit / pheasant, and deer.
A gift of marinated dove breast may reduce the checks to less than three times a year. This "new tradition" may enable checks to cease all together. ;)

Suckerspawn

Is this true?

Suckerspawn,

I apologize for the delayed response, but I received your email and am working with the ODNR and ODW to learn more about the language in the code. I see through the wording on your fax where how the language does not seem to be in line with the ORC.

As I learn more, I am curious as to what peaked your interest in this issue Have you run into trouble with the statutory restrictions?

Again, I am trying to see how the two sets of wording reconcile with one another. I will be sure to keep you informed as I learn more. In the meantime, please feel free to contact my office if you have any additional questions, or if I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Mike Henne

State Representative

Ohio’s 40th House District

Office Phone: (614) 644-8051

samkent

I don't hunt. Other than varmits.
It was just something that was said at work.
"You can't carry a pistol while hunting."
I assumed that since you can OC by state law it should carry over to hunting.

Suckerspawn

Is this true?

A response from the Ohio Division of Wildlife can be seen here.

http://www.ohionets.com/stuff/odnr/odow968a.pdf

A discussion of this can be followed here.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77469