• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Posters Who "Get Your Goat"

SFCRetired

After looking at a couple of threads that devolved into what one mod called a "train wreck", and, yes, I was again guilty of contributing to that wreck, might I suggest that it is far better to put another poster who angers/upsets you on "ignore" than it is to both destroy a thread and get your blood pressure up?

What got me into this line of thinking was my confessed contribution to derailing a thread. Made me stop and think, "Why am I letting another person pull my strings when it is far easier to put them on ignore and go on about my business?"

I do not expect, and definitely do not want, everyone to agree with me, but neither will I let someone rub my face in something that is totally abhorrent to me. Believe me when I tell you that my "Ignore" list is a very short one.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
After looking at a couple of threads that devolved into what one mod called a "train wreck", and, yes, I was again guilty of contributing to that wreck, might I suggest that it is far better to put another poster who angers/upsets you on "ignore" than it is to both destroy a thread and get your blood pressure up?

What got me into this line of thinking was my confessed contribution to derailing a thread. Made me stop and think, "Why am I letting another person pull my strings when it is far easier to put them on ignore and go on about my business?"

I do not expect, and definitely do not want, everyone to agree with me, but neither will I let someone rub my face in something that is totally abhorrent to me. Believe me when I tell you that my "Ignore" list is a very short one.
Agreed.

My list is very short too, starting with a poster who posts everywhere and on every subject. No doubt he will show up here too, with some non-contributory waste of bandwidth. Unfortunately, there are a couple of others with similar axes to grind or have a need to post about virtually nothing else but objects of their resentment.

I'm about this close to penning a note the admin about such things.

Sir Diealotz

There were several trolls on the USA Carry forum and on this one as well. They have been banned from USA carry but I haven't seen them here recently. Perhaps they have been banned as well?

Kwimby or something like that and I forget the other sock puppets he/they used.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
What's the point of a call out thread with no names?
Since when is this a "call out thread"? If if was, I wouldn't contribute.

The posters know who they are, frequent readers of OCDO know who they are, infrequent readers will soon find out, and the admin will find out (if he doesn't know already) when a note is put in his mailbox.

Brace

Fair enough. The trouble I'm having is that since you're aggravated by different things than me, I have no real way of decoding what's going on in this thread.

SFCRetired

Fair enough. The trouble I'm having is that since you're aggravated by different things than me, I have no real way of decoding what's going on in this thread.

What is going on is an appeal to my fellow posters on OCDO to not let another poster's views upset them to the point that they contribute to the derailing of a thread. It is far easier to place someone on your "Ignore" list than it is to get upset about something you really have no way of changing.

Again, what upsets me may not upset you; in fact you may even agree with things that I do not. That is why I phrased the first post as I did. You know who makes your blood boil and the steam come out of your ears just as I know who rattles my cage. So, rather than give the irritating ones what they want, which is attention, simply place them on "Ignore".

BrianB

I share your sentiment. I have participated in some of these "train wrecks" in the past to a certain extent. Lately I have spent a good bit of time typing a reply to a post, only to then ask myself if my reply adds anything meaningful to the discussion or just injects my own bias and stirs the pot. If I decide the latter I discard what I've typed instead of posting it. I'm sure I've discarded at least 100 posts in the last couple weeks because there was just no constructive purpose to them.

If I post in a topic and it starts going off the rails, I just stop reading the topic. I know if I read it I'm just going to want to participate in the train wreck, so by not reading it further I have no such compulsion.

mobiushky

What gets me is the standard format of too many threads in this forum. [rant]

OP: Hey guys I happened to do this. Here's the outcome. I found it interesting. Anyone have a similar experience?

KIA#1: You did it wrong, you should try doing it KIA#1's approved method.

KIA#2: No, KIA #1 is wrong, I'm more superiorer by nature of my post count, when you try this, do it KIA#2's approved way.

KIA#1 and KIA#2 then spend 15-35 posts expounding on their vast knowledge of how wrong each other is.

Meanwhile, most people who actually read the OP realize that it's not a question for how to do something, but a report on what has happened.

On any given day I wonder if even 20% of what gets posted here is useful information.[/rant]

Ok, I posted my "get's my goat" portion. Not a specific person, but just the general useless nature of the forum at times.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What gets me is the standard format of too many threads in this forum. [rant]

OP: Hey guys I happened to do this. Here's the outcome. I found it interesting. Anyone have a similar experience?

KIA#1: You did it wrong, you should try doing it KIA#1's approved method.

KIA#2: No, KIA #1 is wrong, I'm more superiorer by nature of my post count, when you try this, do it KIA#2's approved way.

KIA#1 and KIA#2 then spend 15-35 posts expounding on their vast knowledge of how wrong each other is.

Meanwhile, most people who actually read the OP realize that it's not a question for how to do something, but a report on what has happened.

On any given day I wonder if even 20% of what gets posted here is useful information.[/rant]

Ok, I posted my "get's my goat" portion. Not a specific person, but just the general useless nature of the forum at times.

But, that't the human condition--that's the way people are. Its part of the territory.

A good example of a forum where that sort of thing rarely occurs is reincarnation of The High Road.*

I don't happen to agree with their rules because it seems to me that you'll influence more people if more people stay and participate. But, maybe that's not his game, so I can't criticize.

I like it here because I can reach more people, even those who are a little more...shall we say...free with their emotions and attitudes. I can pass along what I've learned to more because I think more will participate here than the other forum, all things being equal.

So, I just roll up my sleeves and dive in. Besides, I've too often seen "civility" and "logic" used as cover by people who can't sustain their position. Or, used as cover to protect them as the "civilly" perpetrate all manner of logically fallacies and "civilly" ignore or evade valid arguments. So, its not like civility is anything special. Anybody can be civil. Can they sustain and support their argument in the face of penetrating scrutiny? That's the question. I don't really care whether an opponent is being a jerk, evasive, cussing me, etc. I can hold my own simply by finding and exposing his logical fallacies.

Would it be more pleasant if it were a bit more civil? Sure. But, I ain't here for pleasantries.

stealthyeliminator

Well my first thought was to try to make some kind of joke about the expression 'get my goat' cause I think its funny and don't think I've heard it before. Nothing seriously funny is coming to mind though.

Anyway, imo it depends on why you're here. If you're just Jere for casual conversation or whatnot, then utilizing the ignore list very well may be for you. I personally don't think its for me. I've used the ignore list only once and only because I felt as though my health might be at risk continuing to read posts from a certain poster. I have since removed them from my ignore list. In the days of the Beretta lady I considered using the ignore list but decided that I wouldn't. My thought was that I could perhaps learn something even from the posts I considered idiotic, for lack of a better term. I'm not one to consciously deprive myself of any learning opportunity. Even if all I learn is how an idiot thinks. <- not a reference to anyone in particular.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Like I said, I think it depends on why you're here. I completely understand on the derailing though. I've looked back and thought the exact same thing before.

mobiushky

well aged, and as a surprise.

This made me think of an episode of "Better off Ted", a short lived but very well written TV sitcom. Two scientists are talking with their boss about being upset by someone else. They said, "we need to do something serious, we'll bring them a bagel every day for a month, then just when they get accustomed to it, we'll stop inexplicably. They won't know what hit them!"

The boss says, I don't think that's a good idea. Hey, you guys stopped bringing me bagels last week. The scientists look at him and said "You know what you did."

Lol. Sorry, it just popped into my head.