• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC university hospitals, doctors offices carry~Reno Nevada shooting.

WalkingWolf

Here in NC most major hospitals are university hospitals which makes carry illegal. I believe most small hospitals receive state funds and have teaching functions related to the universities. Making carry by a LAC illegal, not stopping nut cases from carrying though.

I wonder if our GA is paying attention to the growing trend of shootings that happen in mainly gun free zones. Not sure if Reno shooting was in one, but I would suspect it was.

I was surprised to see that my last visit with a WakeMed doctor in Raleigh was not posted. The office was not on campus, but the building I believe is owned by WakeMed. Last month I also went to see my cardiologist in Raleigh for a echo, and his offices were not posted, another surprise. Well not so much for him as we have had discussions before on political issues. His thoughts seem to run closely with mine.

So far I have not carried in the offices, because I am unsure about whether the laws for campuses apply. But with incidents like Nevada it may be wise to apply the US V Black ruling, and apply the 4th and 5th amendments.

carolina guy

Here in NC most major hospitals are university hospitals which makes carry illegal. I believe most small hospitals receive state funds and have teaching functions related to the universities. Making carry by a LAC illegal, not stopping nut cases from carrying though.

I wonder if our GA is paying attention to the growing trend of shootings that happen in mainly gun free zones. Not sure if Reno shooting was in one, but I would suspect it was.

I was surprised to see that my last visit with a WakeMed doctor in Raleigh was not posted. The office was not on campus, but the building I believe is owned by WakeMed. Last month I also went to see my cardiologist in Raleigh for a echo, and his offices were not posted, another surprise. Well not so much for him as we have had discussions before on political issues. His thoughts seem to run closely with mine.

So far I have not carried in the offices, because I am unsure about whether the laws for campuses apply. But with incidents like Nevada it may be wise to apply the US V Black ruling, and apply the 4th and 5th amendments.

It might all come down to:

§ 14-269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property.(a) The following definitions apply to this section: (1) Educational property. - Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school.

My take is that if the doctor and his office are not directly part of the actual school (ie. teaching, research, etc) and its primary educational activities (or necessary support) then it would not be covered as "educational property".

Otherwise, if the university owned a strip shopping center it would be illegal to carry there.

Last edited:

solus

WW, UNC's cardio off site professional building's main entrance door in chapel hill is marked in the lower right corner with verbiage (no sign) yet they used the wrong NC statute for their rational. the building is managed by a professional management company.

I went to my PMC today and someone unceremoniously pointed out the olde, rusty, weathered sign in the parking lot stating no weapons 'concealed or otherwise' allowed, LE excepted on the premise! so went back to vehicle and put my firearm in the vehicle's safe.

not sure the NC GA has or will get a clue about GFZs as they believe it can't happen here coupled with the current firearm advocacy group in place who is stuck in their current agenda.

ipse

Last edited:

American Patriot

"GUN FREE ZONES are "KILL ZONES." That appears to be the choice of those who do the killing just for the sake of killing.