Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry and elementary age kids

Open Carry and elementary age kids

Was thinking about something....With the school shootings, and such, little kids that don't know any better might really be afraid of us. I bring this up because I am attending my grandson's birthday party at some bounce house, or such this weekend. With my open carried gun, my lil guy will run up and hug me, but what will the other little critters think? We can argue, and some will say who cares what they think, it's your right. Yep, but until the school shootings stop, and our appearance with an open carried gun becomes way more commonplace, kids may freak the heck out...Guess in my mind, for the time being, I'll cover "justin" up with a jacket or shirt....But what is the take from you guys? Any better answers than I can come up with? Be nice, this time it really is about the children. LOL...
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

I agree red dawg. Sometimes its just tactful to cover up. If you know it will cause a ruckus or even think it might then its smart of you to realize that and adjust accordingly. You are still exercising your rights and protecting those at the party. Your not causing a disturbance while doing so. Carrying a gun shouldn't be an all or nothing deal or a screw them if they don't like it thing. I get when it applies to anti gun adults. The. Sure screw THEM. But if its kids that will freak out or the party gets disturbed in anyway.... well then it should matter to you.

Personally I think your on the right track. Just cover it up. When you leave pull it back out and show it off.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Little kids do not have an inherent fear of guns. That is a learned behavior.

The more people, including little kids, see responsible people (not cops) carrying firearms, the better the world will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I agree red dawg. Sometimes its just tactful to cover up. If you know it will cause a ruckus or even think it might then its smart of you to realize that and adjust accordingly. You are still exercising your rights and protecting those at the party. Your not causing a disturbance while doing so. Carrying a gun shouldn't be an all or nothing deal or a screw them if they don't like it thing. I get when it applies to anti gun adults. The. Sure screw THEM. But if its kids that will freak out or the party gets disturbed in anyway.... well then it should matter to you.

Personally I think your on the right track. Just cover it up. When you leave pull it back out and show it off.

That is what open carry is to you. Showing off.

Got it.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

All this does is play into the Anti's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    How so? I ask because in his very specific example of the kids birthday party the antis wouldn't even know about the gun. It seems his example is a very personal thing.

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

This topic does require a pause for thought, and OP brings up a valid question and reasoning.

No matter the age, we can never truly know another persons thoughts.

That said, I believe we can agree that most people have a herd-like mentality ("If he/she isn't freaking out, why should I?"), and if kids see a peer running up on an OC'er and give them a great big hug, that stands a good chance of sending an unspoken message to the rest that the OC'er is not a BG.

Of course, I could be way off the mark. Please correct me if this is the case.

"Hiding the guns" is fostering the fallacy that "police are the only one's that can be trusted with guns". I don't believe that is true, do you? If kids flipped out at the sight of guns, why do school resource officers carry them? Not many reports of traumatized kids because a cop walked by wearing a holstered firearm, unless you have a dork cowboy that talks to people while resting his hand on the butt of a firearm, or thinks BDU's and combat gear completes his "tactical Tommy" look. That might affect a kid. "I go to school in a war zone". Most damage inflicted on children by police is from instilling fear of beating, tasing, being taken from their parents, being sexually exploited, things like that.

What is presented as normal in this home will likely be accepted as normal. I would take no offense in explaining that open carry is my option of providing security for all present. No need for a defensive response, or a 2A speech. If you are comfortable carrying, it won't be hard to transmit that confidence, and confidence is contagious.
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 12-18-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Edited quote AS AN INDULGENCE!
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

The more people, including little kids, see responsible people (not cops) carrying firearms, the better the world will be.
    +1
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Since you do not open carry or support open carry, it causes me to wonder where else you advocate we should not open carry, so as to "not cause a disturbance"?

What are we teaching our kids about firearms if we support police open carrying firearms but all other responsible adults should hide their firearms, as if having them is something to be ashamed of?
    ~Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    "Hiding the guns" is fostering the fallacy that "police are the only one's that can be trusted with guns". I don't believe that is true, do you? If kids flipped out at the sight of guns, why do school resource officers carry them? Not many reports of traumatized kids because a cop walked by wearing a holstered firearm, unless you have a dork cowboy that talks to people while resting his hand on the butt of a firearm, or thinks BDU's and combat gear completes his "tactical Tommy" look. That might affect a kid. "I go to school in a war zone". Most damage inflicted on children by police is from instilling fear of beating, tasing, being taken from their parents, being sexually exploited, things like that.

What is presented as normal in this home will likely be accepted as normal. I would take no offense in explaining that open carry is my option of providing security for all present. No need for a defensive response, or a 2A speech. If you are comfortable carrying, it won't be hard to transmit that confidence, and confidence is contagious.
    I'm not certain, but it appears that you may have misread my post. I was implying that OC should not be a problem and was inviting those with a different opinion to chime in, but your reply seems to infer that I said something different.

Please reread what I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    I'm not certain, but it appears that you may have misread my post. I was implying that OC should not be a problem and was inviting those with a different opinion to chime in, but your reply seems to infer that I said something different.

I could be wrong but I don't think he was responding to you, but to another that responded to you.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think he was responding to you, but to another that responded to you.
    It's possible, but I was post #7, his was #8. I saw no other responses to my post and he quoted me, hence the supposition of a direct response and my reply.

I guess we'll see.

It's possible, but I was post #7, his was #8. I saw no other responses to my post and he quoted me, hence the supposition of a direct response and my reply.

I guess we'll see.
    My mistake I see he quoted you. Apologizes!
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    My mistake I see he quoted you. Apologizes!
    Apology accepted!

The kids will not freak out as you put it. There may be an occasional, "Mommie that guy has a gun" but that would be about the extent of it. I've worked security (plainclothes), both on a volunteer and paid basis, many times over the years at a couple of schools for events being held on the weekends and have never had an issue from anyone. The most I got was, "Is that a Glock?" But then, it seems, with kids, every black handgun is a Glock.

It just depends, in my community most kids had gone shooting with daddy or knew daddy owned a gun by time for school, my brother and I used to find my dads rifles which were leaned against the wall of the parents closet, but he kept his handguns out of sight.....

Unless the kid has been taught to fear guns it shouldn't be an issue, if you're someone the kids already trust to some extent I think you'll get more curiosity then fear. IMO
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I edited my post to exclude the post of yours I quoted. I meant no harm or disrespect.
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 12-18-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    ~Citizen

It appears you have made an issue of your post being quoted. Looking back, I can make my point better without quoting your post, so I edited it out. Sorry for the stress I may have caused you.
    ~Citizen

I edited the quote to highlight what I was playing off of. No intent to belittle or otherwise imply anything negative about your post. I am in agreement with all of it. If you object to being quoted, I'm not sure what to do about that. I quote when and where I can as a thought continuation sometimes.
    It appears you have made an issue of your post being quoted. Looking back, I can make my point better without quoting your post, so I edited it out. Sorry for the stress I may have caused you.
    No worries, and no issues. There was no stress involved. There was a curiosity, however, that I may not have been as clear as I could have been, and where I may have confused you.

I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Quote away.

Getting back to the OP and his original question:

There is a message you are not seeing because of your apprehension over what other people might think/say.

Why are you carrying? If you are like most of the rest of us it is for self defense and defense of family/loved ones. I'm going out on a limb by guessing you love your nephew and want to protect him from harm.

Is your nephew already aware that you wear a handgun? If so, does he have any understanding of the reason(s) you wear a handgun? If "yes" to either of those questions, then why confuse things by acting/dressing differently at this event?

As for the other parents at the event - this will be a great opportunity to explain to them why you wear a handgun. It might even get them to start thinking about their kids. And if the kids ask why you wear a handgun it might get them thinking about their parents. <evil grin>

And if yu do get negative comments, remain calm and polite - perhaps to the point of not engaging in conversation with the people making the negative comments. Let your behavior show you are law-abiding and in control.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I often OC when I get my 8 yr old off the bus. Two other moms are there too. I have talked with them several times while OC and they have never said anything. About six kids get off with my son. I carry no matter what. When the kids see other parents responsible with guns, then ask their parents about it, it may be good for RKBA in the long run. I OC and am not ashamed of it.

my .02
    The only sensible gun law is the 2nd Amendment. Anything else is an infringement.

"The road to tyranny is paved with compromise."

I overheard a conversation my eight year old had with his friend, essentially the question was, "why does your dad have a gun", my son said to him "my dad won't let anybody hurt me, my brother, or my mom."

Thanks for the thoughts. Taken under advisement, and will just go about my business as usual. Heck the dang place might be anti and posted...Prob still going to say hi, and bow out and go over to the range for a bit anyway....Only able to hang with youngins just so long...Was thinking more on it, and it's no diferent than going to the park, and other places where there are a bunch of kids, so, thanks for helping me think more...Not a damn thing to worry about....
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Getting back to the OP and his original question:

There is a message you are not seeing because of your apprehension over what other people might think/say.

Why are you carrying? If you are like most of the rest of us it is for self defense and defense of family/loved ones. I'm going out on a limb by guessing you love your nephew and want to protect him from harm.

Is your nephew already aware that you wear a handgun? If so, does he have any understanding of the reason(s) you wear a handgun? If "yes" to either of those questions, then why confuse things by acting/dressing differently at this event?

As for the other parents at the event - this will be a great opportunity to explain to them why you wear a handgun. It might even get them to start thinking about their kids. And if the kids ask why you wear a handgun it might get them thinking about their parents. <evil grin>

And if yu do get negative comments, remain calm and polite - perhaps to the point of not engaging in conversation with the people making the negative comments. Let your behavior show you are law-abiding and in control.

stay safe.
    Good posts!

I have more positive comments than negative after these tragic occurrences.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast