• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tasers - An Electronics Tech's Opinion

JoeSparky

Centurion
Yes. So you could arm cops with .25 ACP's as "less lethal" firearms, also.

But what the cops are really after here is "less cleanup." They don't give a damn about you dying or not.

Interesting tangent, though: What is the hit/miss ratio of cops firing Tasers?

I am assuming that your sentence referencing .25 ACP's is sarcasm. I see your humor and raise you on the basis that you know that is NOT what I meant.... LOL

I would HOPE that any LEO/PEACE OFFICER in our country if not the world does actually care that they NOT CAUSE THE DEATHS OF OTHERS. And when the situation does result in a death that they have been FORCED into taking such action as I would assume is the standard of those that choose to carry a firearm as a tool of defense!

JoeSparky

Centurion
Isn't the double-speak entertaining?

A professional public-relations person attempting the same thing would have interposed at least two sentences between the contradictory ones.

I am thinking that the WHITEHOUSE is missing its press spokesperson.... or was it that a village is missing its idiot!

Primus

After reading this whole thread I wonder how many here have any actual experience with a taser. Have ever even held one. Have ever taken the ride. Better I wonder how many have ever been in a violent confrontation with an armed person.

Its too easy to talk. Its a lot tougher to actually have to carry it and do the job.

There appears to be more and more of these threads popping up lately. "Police shouldnt have this because" "police do this procedure illegally" "police have powers here not there". It goes on and on by a lot of guys who have no more experience they see on YouTube. The very few guys who do have experience seem to be the quietest and not yell and assume things.

There's been so much misinformation the past few weeks its mind blowing... whether its how a taser works how the use of force continuum works how a cop executes a warrant how a cop gets off from shootings etc.

I apologize to the few that have reached out and asked questions. Kudos to you for asking. I do not apologize for those who jump in and have no idea what your talking about and muddle things up.

Finally the biggest PIA is that everytime one of us active or retired guys actually answer and a question with experience or explain a procedure with experience they get shouted down and insulted by the same guys who are clueless.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I am thinking that the WHITEHOUSE is missing its press spokesperson.... or was it that a village is missing its idiot!

Now, now. Lets give him some credit. In post #33 he did inject six sentences of blowsmoke-speak in order to camoflage the double-speak in the earlier post.

He "did it pretty well. Not real well. But, pretty well." James Garner as Jason McCullough in Support Your Local Sheriff.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Now, now. Lets give him some credit. In post #33 he did inject six sentences of blowsmoke-speak in order to camoflage the double-speak in the earlier post.

He "did it pretty well. Not real well. But, pretty well." James Garner as Jason McCullough in Support Your Local Sheriff.

Funny you should mention that. I was picturing Jack Elam's character with a Dale Carnegie "Smarm the Scrotes into Compliance" correspondence course under his belt as officer Wonderful. That struck pose by the Jake at the end where he says " I get to be sheriff of this town... and then I go on to become one of the most beloved characters in Western folklore" sounds a bit like our boy.

With more whining.

Primus

Lol you guy really contributed like 20 posts of garbage to this thread. I think you guys hit a record of "I have idea what I'm talking about so I'll just talk trash and hope no one notices".

Thread successfully derailed boys. Congrats

Fuller Malarkey

After reading this whole thread I wonder how many here have any actual experience with a taser. Have ever even held one. Have ever taken the ride. Better I wonder how many have ever been in a violent confrontation with an armed person.

~BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA ~SNIPPED~

I apologize to the few that have reached out and asked questions. Kudos to you for asking. I do not apologize for those who jump in and have no idea what your talking about and muddle things up.

Finally the biggest PIA is that everytime one of us active or retired guys actually answer and a question with experience or explain a procedure with experience they get shouted down and insulted by the same guys who are clueless.

Quit whining.

butt hurt.jpg

Last edited:

Primus

What's wrong fuller? Don't like getting called out? You've literally posted hundreds of posts on here which amounts to nothing more then you whining about police..... waaahhhh they have guns. . .. wahhhhh they have tasers..... that's literally all you do. The op asked a question. Did you answer the question with anything useful? Just ONE thing useful? Nope. You literally CAN'T post anything useful because you have no idea about tasers. Instead you just throw garbage out and end up sounding like beavis and butthead.

I get it.... your uspset and you feel the internet is a great place to feel cool or tough or funny. Makes up for things you lack in life. The only problem is the rest of the guys like the op could care less about your insecurities. They post questions. They start conversations and want to discuss things. You apparently lack that skill.

I sincerely wish you the best and hope you learn to control yourself better. If not... oh well. No sweat off mine. I'm respectfully getting out of this thread since its just another zoo exhibit. I'd rather not get any more crap on my boots. Be safe.

Fuller Malarkey

What's wrong fuller? Don't like getting called out? You've literally posted hundreds of posts on here which amounts to nothing more then you whining about police..... waaahhhh they have guns. . .. wahhhhh they have tasers..... that's literally all you do. The op asked a question. Did you answer the question with anything useful? Just ONE thing useful? Nope. You literally CAN'T post anything useful because you have no idea about tasers. Instead you just throw garbage out and end up sounding like beavis and butthead.

I get it.... your uspset and you feel the internet is a great place to feel cool or tough or funny. Makes up for things you lack in life. The only problem is the rest of the guys like the op could care less about your insecurities. They post questions. They start conversations and want to discuss things. You apparently lack that skill.

I sincerely wish you the best and hope you learn to control yourself better. If not... oh well. No sweat off mine. I'm respectfully getting out of this thread since its just another zoo exhibit. I'd rather not get any more crap on my boots. Be safe.

Can the smarm, can the whining, can the drama.

But then, you'd have nothing to say. And I'd be stuck here listening to K-Billy's Super Sounds of the 70's. Ever listen to that?

One of my personal favorites.

Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.

Fuller Malarkey

Police consultant and former Des Moines Police Chief William Moulder acknowledged that there are risks in using Tasers or stun guns. “The piece that got us in trouble early on was also one of their [Taser International’s] selling points: Use the Taser to prevent officers from being injured,” Moulder said. “If you see someone who is threatening you, just zap them with a Taser and nobody gets hurt.”

Moulder, who was police chief in Iowa’s capital city from 1984 to 2003, states: “We didn’t think that through as thoroughly as we should have. Tasering people who don't really pose a threat when officers could easily talk them down or outmuscle them? There are other ways besides Tasers to obtain control.”

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20131125/NEWS01/311250047/

Taser International has always touted that tasers are a safe and effective alternative to lethal force. What Taser International fails to mention, however, is that tasers are most often used in situations where lethal force is not necessary or warranted.

http://www.acluaz.org/sites/default/files/documents/taser04_forweb.pdf

This study confirms what many of us have been saying for years: that tasers are not merely used as an alternative to "lethal force". Far from it. Their primary use in many cases in simply to coerce and intimidate individuals who pose no danger of imminent harm. The abuse of tasers by law enforcement officials is not the result merely of "a few bad apples or rogue cops". As the ACLU in Arizona has documented, the use of tasers to compel compliance and even torture people already in custody is a selling feature. It's in the instructional materials provided by Taser International.

OC for ME

Tasers have killed, and since they have killed they are a lethal weapon. If cops were issued .25ACP's the fatality rate of perps getting shot would go down. The reliance on the statistical unlikelihood of a perp dying from a taser jolt is nothing more than the advancement of the premise "if a few die, that is the price to be paid."

Interjecting batons, fists, cars, trains, and planes is nothing but a deflection. Tasers have killed, and when used, could kill again, just like a .25 ACP.

Remove tasers form cops.

sudden valley gunner

Would you consider a punch in the face lethal? Why no people have died from it. How about cars? Are they lethal objects? Why not people have died? I hope you get the point.

Yes I would consider a punch in the face as a potentially lethal and I would respond in a manner that would put an end to that lethal force as soon as possible.

EMNofSeattle

Tasers have killed, and since they have killed they are a lethal weapon. If cops were issued .25ACP's the fatality rate of perps getting shot would go down. The reliance on the statistical unlikelihood of a perp dying from a taser jolt is nothing more than the advancement of the premise "if a few die, that is the price to be paid."

Interjecting batons, fists, cars, trains, and planes is nothing but a deflection. Tasers have killed, and when used, could kill again, just like a .25 ACP.

Remove tasers form cops.

The number of dead will never be zero, I can't change reality so I can't sign on to a premise like yours

OC for ME

The number of deaths from a taser jolt, administered by cops, would be reduced to zero if tasers were not issued to cops. The number of deaths by baton, guns, hands, feet. But, cops have hands and feet that are not issued to them by their boss. The gun is required for their self-defense, though when the gun is used, justifiably or not, is a different issue.

The premise is that a cop could not kill a citizen if they did not have a taser.

WalkingWolf

The number of deaths from a taser jolt, administered by cops, would be reduced to zero if tasers were not issued to cops. The number of deaths by baton, guns, hands, feet. But, cops have hands and feet that are not issued to them by their boss. The gun is required for their self-defense, though when the gun is used, justifiably or not, is a different issue.

The premise is that a cop could not kill a citizen if they did not have a taser.

This is the same argument the Brady Bunch makes, not that there would be no deaths if firearms were outlawed, but that there would be no firearm deaths. Why would a death from a baton beating be any less vile than a taser death? As we in the RKBA community have countless times tried to get through, it is not the tool at fault, but the user.

OC for ME

Correct. Just as the gun can be used unjustifiable, so to can the taser. But the claims made by some that the taser is "less than lethal" is a false statement. If the taser is classified as a lethal weapon that kills far less often than a gun, then I am on board with cops carrying tasers. But don't call it what it is not. Be truthful and place the tool in the same category as the gun and then the users acts will be seen in the same light as his acts with a gun.

Nothing more and nothing less.

If the taser remains classified as a less than lethal weapon then I will continue to call for the removal of tasers from cops.

WalkingWolf

Correct. Just as the gun can be used unjustifiable, so to can the taser. But the claims made by some that the taser is "less than lethal" is a false statement. If the taser is classified as a lethal weapon that kills far less often than a gun, then I am on board with cops carrying tasers. But don't call it what it is not. Be truthful and place the tool in the same category as the gun and then the users acts will be seen in the same light as his acts with a gun.

Nothing more and nothing less.

If the taser remains classified as a less than lethal weapon then I will continue to call for the removal of tasers from cops.

We must focus on the user to maintain any credibility, not the weapon. A police officer can kill by just the act of interrogation, or maybe just their presence in the case of a severely ill person. The taser IS less than lethal for healthy people, it is not part of the use of force to determine the person's health first. If it was it would affect US more than the police.

And the police are not the only ones who buy and use tasers. Outlaw tasers from the police, would outlaw them from the rest of society. Remember England and the unarmed Bobbies? The answer is holding all the people responsible for their acts, including police. If a person dies from the taser while being violent is their fault not the officers.

JustaShooter

The manufacturer stopped classifying it as non-lethal back in 2005. It is now generally referred to as "less lethal".

FWIW

OC for ME

A .25 ACP is less lethal than a .40 S&W.....anyone?

The taser is a lethal weapon, not a less lethal weapon, it has killed, and I am quite confident that a taser will kill again. Call it what it is, a lethal weapon, and move on to the acts of the user.

OC for ME

We must focus on the user to maintain any credibility, not the weapon. A police officer can kill by just the act of interrogation, or maybe just their presence in the case of a severely ill person. The taser IS less than lethal for healthy people, it is not part of the use of force to determine the person's health first. If it was it would affect US more than the police.

And the police are not the only ones who buy and use tasers. Outlaw tasers from the police, would outlaw them from the rest of society. Remember England and the unarmed Bobbies? The answer is holding all the people responsible for their acts, including police. If a person dies from the taser while being violent is their fault not the officers.
I see your point. If the citizen, who was killed by a cop using a taser, would not have placed himself in a situation to be killed by a cop using a taser, the citizen would not have been killed by a cop using a taser. Getting tazed is the recipients fault, not the cop's fault.