Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Recently Started opening carrying, wanted to get some concensus on a few topics

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8

    Recently Started opening carrying, wanted to get some concensus on a few topics

    FNG here, i recently picked up a SR9C and the next friday amazon delivered my holster, which i promptly strapped on and hanvent left the house without since. ive had pretty much no reactions or interactions to the firearm, probably sue to the fact that its an IWB setup and only the butt and rear of the slide show out of my waistband.

    ANYWAYS. I had a question on how everyone is storing their firearms in locations they cant carry at. I work at a Fed/Mil installation and thus cant carry as its fed land. as i have (like im sure many of you do) and extensive commute in and out, and usually run errands everywhere i dont feel comfortable leaving my pistol at home. So i have been unholstering, remove mag and chambered round, and then storing holstered piece in locked glovebox (hatchback so no trunk and a tiny center console). I take the magazine with me, as i would prefer a thief to not have a loaded firearm (9mm is common enough, but still) if they were to break into my vehicle. I realize this is very unlikely, but i am curious as to what solutions you all have come up with.


    Not necessarily a OC question, but i was wondering what you all loaded in your SD mags, my Grandfather (dunbar truck driver) always recomended JHP/SD rounds for the first 1/4 or 1/3 of a magazine and then the heaviest most penetrative round you can get. Since after the first few shot if the attacker is still up they have likely taken cover or have some sort of armor on and you will need as much punch as possible Any thoughts on that?


    tl;dr
    Curious how people store their arms when leaving in vehicle, what rounds to do you load fo SD mags.


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Welcome to the site!

    In an urban environment, it's good to lock it in the glovebox, trunk or lockbox...which can be had for very little these days. I rarely do but I'm not around a lot of people.

    I shoot cast RNFP's or Keith style in the revolvers... in everything but the Glock. It has to have a jacket bullet. I want penetration not expansion which IMO is problematic at best.
    Last edited by peter nap; 12-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8
    I had thought about a nanovault under one of the seats, but im not sure how usable a nanovault would be as far as being able to quickly unlock, open, stow, lock, and secure to the underside of one of the seats. As i park off the gated grounds, in a residential area i would like to minimize the amount of time i have an unholstered/secured firearm. I realize its legal and all but there are a lot of mothers and kids out and about when i am exiting and renetering my vehicle, and i try to avoid unnecessary LEO interactions.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    I had thought about a nanovault under one of the seats, but im not sure how usable a nanovault would be as far as being able to quickly unlock, open, stow, lock, and secure to the underside of one of the seats. As i park off the gated grounds, in a residential area i would like to minimize the amount of time i have an unholstered/secured firearm. I realize its legal and all but there are a lot of mothers and kids out and about when i am exiting and renetering my vehicle, and i try to avoid unnecessary LEO interactions.
    That is a concern considering Va's Brandishing laws. WE had a member convicted recently for putting his gun in his holster. which was in a compartment in the dash.
    Last edited by peter nap; 12-18-2013 at 03:41 PM.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    A lot of reading but well worth it!
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...lowing-the-law

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Welcome to OCDO. Bonus points for knowing what a FNG is - you will soon lose that distinction if you don't take the gruffness of some of us too seriously.

    Ink it in your calendar to join us at the General Assembly Building on Lobby Day. Maybe attend the pre-Lobby Day dinner Sunday night and the pre-Lobby Day breakfast Early Monday morning. Look for info about OC get-togethers near you (dinners, lunches, trash pick-up, etc.). It might be useful to edit your profile and let folks know where in te Commonwealth you are located. We are all on at least one goobermint watch list, so putting that information out there will not expose you to something you are not already exposed to.

    Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERTs. Either join on-line or hold out till the next gun show when you can go stop by the VCDL table and talk with the volunteers as you fill out the membership paperwork.

    There are any number of "lockboxes" designed for firearms storage that are either especially designed for car use or can easily be adapted (usually by the use of plastic-coated cable and a good lock).

    BUT if you are working on a fed/mil installation you are 99.99999% guaranteed to be violating the No Firearms regulations and if you get caught (entry implies consent to search) you could lose your job and face fines/inprisonment. Take a moment one day to stop and read the signage at the facility entrance. It will among other things cite the regulations/laws that say No Guns.

    I missed that you park off-site. The transfer from your body to where you store it can be problematical. Ask us how we know that. Can you rig up something so you carry from home with the gun in some sort of container that is not yet secured/locked? (center console. lock box that fits in the center console. etc.) Then all you have to when arriving in the morning is lock the container, and at the end of the day unlock it for the drive home.

    It sucks to have to make an hours-long commute while disarmed, but that is the alternative to taking a chance of life-changing consequences that are statistically much more likely to happen than finding yourself in a situation where you need your firearm. Knowlege is sometimes a PITA.

    As for what ammo to use? The only safe answer (and I'm not always sure about that) is to use the proper caliber for the firearm. Manufacturers are coming up with new and wonderful combinations of bullet type, powder, primer, and casing. "Back in the day" everybody swore by the FBI load for .38spl - now there are many commercial choices that, based on the criteria used, outclass that.

    stay safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    FNG here, i recently picked up a SR9C and the next friday amazon delivered my holster, which i promptly strapped on and hanvent left the house without since. ive had pretty much no reactions or interactions to the firearm, probably sue to the fact that its an IWB setup and only the butt and rear of the slide show out of my waistband.

    ANYWAYS. I had a question on how everyone is storing their firearms in locations they cant carry at. I work at a Fed/Mil installation and thus cant carry as its fed land. as i have (like im sure many of you do) and extensive commute in and out, and usually run errands everywhere i dont feel comfortable leaving my pistol at home. So i have been unholstering, remove mag and chambered round, and then storing holstered piece in locked glovebox (hatchback so no trunk and a tiny center console). I take the magazine with me, as i would prefer a thief to not have a loaded firearm (9mm is common enough, but still) if they were to break into my vehicle. I realize this is very unlikely, but i am curious as to what solutions you all have come up with.


    Not necessarily a OC question, but i was wondering what you all loaded in your SD mags, my Grandfather (dunbar truck driver) always recomended JHP/SD rounds for the first 1/4 or 1/3 of a magazine and then the heaviest most penetrative round you can get. Since after the first few shot if the attacker is still up they have likely taken cover or have some sort of armor on and you will need as much punch as possible Any thoughts on that?


    tl;dr
    Curious how people store their arms when leaving in vehicle, what rounds to do you load fo SD mags.


    Thanks!
    Last edited by skidmark; 12-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. Bonus points for knowing what a FNG is - you will soon lose that distinction if you don't take the gruffness of some of us too seriously.


    I missed that you park off-site. The transfer from your body to where you store it can be problematical. Ask us how we know that. Can you rig up something so you carry from home with the gun in some sort of container that is not yet secured/locked? (center console. lock box that fits in the center console. etc.) Then all you have to when arriving in the morning is lock the container, and at the end of the day unlock it for the drive home.


    As for what ammo to use? The only safe answer (and I'm not always sure about that) is to use the proper caliber for the firearm. Manufacturers are coming up with new and wonderful combinations of bullet type, powder, primer, and casing. "Back in the day" everybody swore by the FBI load for .38spl - now there are many commercial choices that, based on the criteria used, outclass that.

    stay safe.
    Im pretty Blunt/Gruff myself, so i dont offend easily.


    As far as the transfer to storage, i have read through that entire thing tale, which is part of why i was asking. I remove the mag from the firearm while it is still holstered, and then lift the holster+pistol assembly out of the pants and expose just enough of the pistol to get the ejection port exposed, and then jack the round out onto my lap/seat. Kind of awkward to explain, but i am a lefite with firearms, so i remove the holster and turn the assmbly 90* to the right, and with my thumb on the back strap, and my fingers fully extended and locked down the holster, i push the holster down slighty and i rack the slide with my right hand. This is accomplished as i transition the enter assembly to my right hand to fully seat back into the holster, and then into the glovebox. This was the best method of transation i found yet. The firearm doesnt become removed from the holster, the rounds are all removed, and it is stored.

    In Regards to some sort of lockable container, i was thinking of a nanovault in my backpack/under the seat. But this is still presents the issue of being disarmed while running errands and what not, or visiting with friends and family etc. As i do live so far out i tend to do stuff inside the belt way for few hours then make the later, but shorter trip back home. Additionally my vehicle has almost 0 space in the center console as it is a flip up arm rest, with no traditional center glove box. I can fit 2 mags in there without the cup holder insert, and its not lockable, so thats a no joy for firearm storage.



    The ammo question was less the specific make/maker of ammo, and more how you load the mags. Full mag of FMJ/TMJ, 3 rounds of JHP then FMJ, full mag of JHP. I know especially in 9MM there are TOOOOOONS of ammo choices, and some experimentation is necessary to narrow down what you, and your fire arm like. Im even eyeing a Loading press as im a big propent of knowing everything that has gone into my stuff. This of course cost me time but i know that my loads will work every time, as i expect them to. Although i wouldnt carry Reloads in my carry mags... atleast not til i had been loading for a very long time.

  8. #8
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post


    The ammo question was less the specific make/maker of ammo, and more how you load the mags. Full mag of FMJ/TMJ, 3 rounds of JHP then FMJ, full mag of JHP. I know especially in 9MM there are TOOOOOONS of ammo choices, and some experimentation is necessary to narrow down what you, and your fire arm like. Im even eyeing a Loading press as im a big propent of knowing everything that has gone into my stuff. This of course cost me time but i know that my loads will work every time, as i expect them to. Although i wouldnt carry Reloads in my carry mags... atleast not til i had been loading for a very long time.

    Hollowpoints. The whole magazine. Spare magazine, too.

    Shot placement is key...
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ashburn, Va
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    Im pretty Blunt/Gruff myself, so i dont offend easily.


    As far as the transfer to storage, i have read through that entire thing tale, which is part of why i was asking. I remove the mag from the firearm while it is still holstered, and then lift the holster+pistol assembly out of the pants and expose just enough of the pistol to get the ejection port exposed, and then jack the round out onto my lap/seat. Kind of awkward to explain, but i am a lefite with firearms, so i remove the holster and turn the assmbly 90* to the right, and with my thumb on the back strap, and my fingers fully extended and locked down the holster, i push the holster down slighty and i rack the slide with my right hand. This is accomplished as i transition the enter assembly to my right hand to fully seat back into the holster, and then into the glovebox. This was the best method of transation i found yet. The firearm doesnt become removed from the holster, the rounds are all removed, and it is stored.

    In Regards to some sort of lockable container, i was thinking of a nanovault in my backpack/under the seat. But this is still presents the issue of being disarmed while running errands and what not, or visiting with friends and family etc. As i do live so far out i tend to do stuff inside the belt way for few hours then make the later, but shorter trip back home. Additionally my vehicle has almost 0 space in the center console as it is a flip up arm rest, with no traditional center glove box. I can fit 2 mags in there without the cup holder insert, and its not lockable, so thats a no joy for firearm storage.



    The ammo question was less the specific make/maker of ammo, and more how you load the mags. Full mag of FMJ/TMJ, 3 rounds of JHP then FMJ, full mag of JHP. I know especially in 9MM there are TOOOOOONS of ammo choices, and some experimentation is necessary to narrow down what you, and your fire arm like. Im even eyeing a Loading press as im a big propent of knowing everything that has gone into my stuff. This of course cost me time but i know that my loads will work every time, as i expect them to. Although i wouldnt carry Reloads in my carry mags... atleast not til i had been loading for a very long time.
    Consistent ammo in magazine. Hollow point.

  10. #10
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Hollowpoints. The whole magazine. Spare magazine, too.

    Shot placement is key...
    ^^^What he said. JHPs in everything loadable. My preference is Speer Gold Dots which were recommended to me by several Federal LEO friends ... but that was a few years ago and I'm sure that the technology has advanced in the last couple of years. Most importantly, make sure you go to the range and feed a box or two of whatever you choose through your firearm to see if it likes what you want to carry... and practice, practice, practice. Stay at home and practice dry fire even more than you practice live fire at the range. The NRA range will let you practice live fire by drawing from the holster, and TKA offers the Defensive Pistol class where you will gain experience in drawing, firing and doing tactical mag changes.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    ^^^What he said. JHPs in everything loadable. My preference is Speer Gold Dots which were recommended to me by several Federal LEO friends ... but that was a few years ago and I'm sure that the technology has advanced in the last couple of years. Most importantly, make sure you go to the range and feed a box or two of whatever you choose through your firearm to see if it likes what you want to carry... and practice, practice, practice. Stay at home and practice dry fire even more than you practice live fire at the range. The NRA range will let you practice live fire by drawing from the holster, and TKA offers the Defensive Pistol class where you will gain experience in drawing, firing and doing tactical mag changes.
    I've spent an hour or two at the NRA range every Sunday since i got the firearm (which i guess isnt saying much since i pick up the ruger on the 6th, lol). But i have been shooting since about 8 (25 now) and received my NRA basic pistol certification at age 13, so im not stranger to the concepts involved. I have tried draw and fire drills @ the NRA range, not timed just getting used to it. But while i am able to chew the center of a standard pistol target apart @ 5 yards, i found that draw from a holster i was a wee bit miserable, and that was without a timer or any sort of pressure. So i would be interested in a link or more info on the TKA classes, as i would like to get some coaching on technique. I try to practice and and dry fire a little bit each night before i change into something more comfortable than my work attire. I have a bore laser that i mix in with 9 snap caps for this exercise. I noticed that post triger pull im a few inches off of where i think i am, so there is a ton of room for improvement here.


    As for ammo i currently carry 124gr Federal Hydra shok, i generally end each range session by use the rounds that have been in my carry magazine, so that i cycle in fresh ammunition and that my last impression and muscle memory are of the rounds i have loaded for carry .

  12. #12
    Regular Member MNMGoneShooting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post

    ANYWAYS. I had a question on how everyone is storing their firearms in locations they cant carry at. I work at a Fed/Mil installation and thus cant carry as its fed land. as i have (like im sure many of you do) and extensive commute in and out, and usually run errands everywhere i dont feel comfortable leaving my pistol at home. So i have been unholstering, remove mag and chambered round, and then storing holstered piece in locked glovebox (hatchback so no trunk and a tiny center console). I take the magazine with me, as i would prefer a thief to not have a loaded firearm (9mm is common enough, but still) if they were to break into my vehicle. I realize this is very unlikely, but i am curious as to what solutions you all have come up with.
    If you are in the same boat I am, you can't take the weapon or the ammunition on the property. Contact security and ask them. As for me, I rent a storage locker right off the base and drop off every morning. During working hours, the site is staffed and video monitored, so I have no problems in doing this. It gives me the security of being compliant with the base regulations, while still having the security of being armed after work and upon my arrival home.

    When I first approached the storage facility about doing this, they responded saying there were numerous employees taking advantage of this method.

  13. #13
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    I've spent an hour or two at the NRA range every Sunday since i got the firearm (which i guess isnt saying much since i pick up the ruger on the 6th, lol). But i have been shooting since about 8 (25 now) and received my NRA basic pistol certification at age 13, so im not stranger to the concepts involved. I have tried draw and fire drills @ the NRA range, not timed just getting used to it. But while i am able to chew the center of a standard pistol target apart @ 5 yards, i found that draw from a holster i was a wee bit miserable, and that was without a timer or any sort of pressure. So i would be interested in a link or more info on the TKA classes, as i would like to get some coaching on technique. I try to practice and and dry fire a little bit each night before i change into something more comfortable than my work attire. I have a bore laser that i mix in with 9 snap caps for this exercise. I noticed that post triger pull im a few inches off of where i think i am, so there is a ton of room for improvement here.


    As for ammo i currently carry 124gr Federal Hydra shok, i generally end each range session by use the rounds that have been in my carry magazine, so that i cycle in fresh ammunition and that my last impression and muscle memory are of the rounds i have loaded for carry .
    Hydra Shok is an older design (bullet) that has been replaced by their HST loading. Currently the two best loads out there are the HST, which is available in 124gr and 147gr in standard and +P configurations, and the Speer Gold Dot 124gr, also in standard and +P loads. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet whereas the HST is not. However, both of these loads have a proven track record and are worthy of your consideration.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    Im pretty Blunt/Gruff myself, so i dont offend easily.


    As far as the transfer to storage, i have read through that entire thing tale, which is part of why i was asking. I remove the mag from the firearm while it is still holstered, and then lift the holster+pistol assembly out of the pants and expose just enough of the pistol to get the ejection port exposed, and then jack the round out onto my lap/seat. Kind of awkward to explain, but i am a lefite with firearms, so i remove the holster and turn the assmbly 90* to the right, and with my thumb on the back strap, and my fingers fully extended and locked down the holster, i push the holster down slighty and i rack the slide with my right hand. This is accomplished as i transition the enter assembly to my right hand to fully seat back into the holster, and then into the glovebox. This was the best method of transation i found yet. The firearm doesnt become removed from the holster, the rounds are all removed, and it is stored.

    In Regards to some sort of lockable container, i was thinking of a nanovault in my backpack/under the seat. But this is still presents the issue of being disarmed while running errands and what not, or visiting with friends and family etc. As i do live so far out i tend to do stuff inside the belt way for few hours then make the later, but shorter trip back home. Additionally my vehicle has almost 0 space in the center console as it is a flip up arm rest, with no traditional center glove box. I can fit 2 mags in there without the cup holder insert, and its not lockable, so thats a no joy for firearm storage.
    ....
    Why are you finger[__]ing the handgun at all? The more you touch it and/or remove it from the holster the more chances you have to activate the mechanical process that culminates in a negligent discharge. Most IWB holsters that I am familiar with are similar to OWB paddle holsters - you can remove them witout having to undo your belt/undress. The handgun & holster are moved as a unit - no need to unload. If it's safe enough to be loaded when you are wearing it, it is safe enough to remain loaded when you take it off still in the holster.

    This then requires that you figure out how to put the holster/handgun back on as a unit while sitting in your car such that anyone casually observing does not think you are some sort of pervert. Or you can cheat by locking yourself and your backpack into a restroom stall where you can adjust your belt and pants.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Belated welcome to OCDO Ludacon. While some of us don't seldom venture north of the Ni, we do not hold living in NoVa against those gunnies that live there

    Having made the decision to have your handgun available to you before and after work, the removal/acquisition of it and the safe storage become problematic. Many different solutions which require personal choices - I apply the KISS principle: reduce handling and have the gun fully charged at all times. To that end my gun(s) are never unloaded in my vehicle (except at gun shows) and are most frequently not removed from my holster. To clear the gun in your vehicle unnecessarily complicates everything unless you are venturing into D.C. which is another issue entirely.

    Hope to see you at Lobby Day and please do follow through on the recommendation to join VCDL. You'll receive the free Va-Alerts too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Hydra Shok is an older design (bullet) that has been replaced by their HST loading. Currently the two best loads out there are the HST, which is available in 124gr and 147gr in standard and +P configurations, and the Speer Gold Dot 124gr, also in standard and +P loads. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet whereas the HST is not. However, both of these loads have a proven track record and are worthy of your consideration.
    Interesting, i think ill grab a box of each and see what feels the best, thanks for the recomendations!

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Why are you finger[__]ing the handgun at all? The more you touch it and/or remove it from the holster the more chances you have to activate the mechanical process that culminates in a negligent discharge. Most IWB holsters that I am familiar with are similar to OWB paddle holsters - you can remove them witout having to undo your belt/undress. The handgun & holster are moved as a unit - no need to unload. If it's safe enough to be loaded when you are wearing it, it is safe enough to remain loaded when you take it off still in the holster.

    This then requires that you figure out how to put the holster/handgun back on as a unit while sitting in your car such that anyone casually observing does not think you are some sort of pervert. Or you can cheat by locking yourself and your backpack into a restroom stall where you can adjust your belt and pants.

    stay safe.
    I can remove and store the holster+pistol as a unit. I am looking at something along the lines of a serpa OWB holster for easy re attachment. As for why im fingering the handgun, im not actually. The my fingers lay flat along the holster, touching at the base near the muzzle, while my left thumb is hooked behind hte back strap. When i rack the slide with my right hand while holding it like this, the firearm slides back slightly, exposing the ejection port enough for the round to be ejected and fall into my lap. The inner trigger safety is still within the holster during this process, once the round has been extracted i slide it in to the fully seated position and transition to my glovebox.

    My concern isnt that the FIREARM is unsafe. My concern is that PEOPLE are unsafe, which is of course why i carry in the first place. While its a "nice" and "safe" neighborhood we all know thieves can strike anywhere. While my car is 14 years old, its also a european car, and i do have some modifications and audio gear to it, its not flashy but i always err on the side of caution. So if i were to leave the mag in, and the car was broken into. Not only would i have my firearm stolen, but it would be immediatly usable. Again, is it likely, hell no. but it is a possibility, so i wanted to broach the disussion and see what those who are more experienced in these matters thought.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNMGoneShooting View Post
    If you are in the same boat I am, you can't take the weapon or the ammunition on the property. Contact security and ask them. As for me, I rent a storage locker right off the base and drop off every morning. During working hours, the site is staffed and video monitored, so I have no problems in doing this. It gives me the security of being compliant with the base regulations, while still having the security of being armed after work and upon my arrival home.

    When I first approached the storage facility about doing this, they responded saying there were numerous employees taking advantage of this method.
    I knew i couldnt be the only person to work on a base or other fed land. Im not sure what sort of storage facilites are around here, i thought about asking but seeing as there are still admin staff here and its not all soldiers im little weary of running around asking people where i can put my gun. But this does bear some consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Belated welcome to OCDO Ludacon. While some of us don't seldom venture north of the Ni, we do not hold living in NoVa against those gunnies that live there

    Having made the decision to have your handgun available to you before and after work, the removal/acquisition of it and the safe storage become problematic. Many different solutions which require personal choices - I apply the KISS principle: reduce handling and have the gun fully charged at all times. To that end my gun(s) are never unloaded in my vehicle (except at gun shows) and are most frequently not removed from my holster. To clear the gun in your vehicle unnecessarily complicates everything unless you are venturing into D.C. which is another issue entirely.

    Hope to see you at Lobby Day and please do follow through on the recommendation to join VCDL. You'll receive the free Va-Alerts too.
    I live outside of the area, but close enough to still be considered nova lol. I had started doing that, but then i heard some co workers talking about a car that was broken into out in the neighborhood where i park and thus altered my keep it charged policy. I was bouncing some ideas off some fellow gunnies last night and one of them raised an interesting point that i couldnt answer. You are not allowed to have a GUN on fed property. But theres nothing barring the constituint components of the firearm. His suggestion was to field strip the piece and stash it in my bag. THis just seems to.... provacatory to the authorities. Im very certain that hte MPs and their M4's would not be happy with the argument that its not actually a gun, its just some metal, polymer and springs. BUT i thought it was a very interesting idea.


    As to venturing in D.C. i make it a policy to avoid DC at all cost. With the very rare exception, and that was before i started carrying!



    Thanks again for all the respones!


    P.S. im not sure if i can get off for the lobby day, work being work, but i plan on sending out my vcdl stuff alopng with my renewel for my NRA membership.

  17. #17
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    I've spent an hour or two at the NRA range every Sunday since i got the firearm (which i guess isnt saying much since i pick up the ruger on the 6th, lol). But i have been shooting since about 8 (25 now) and received my NRA basic pistol certification at age 13, so im not stranger to the concepts involved. I have tried draw and fire drills @ the NRA range, not timed just getting used to it. But while i am able to chew the center of a standard pistol target apart @ 5 yards, i found that draw from a holster i was a wee bit miserable, and that was without a timer or any sort of pressure. So i would be interested in a link or more info on the TKA classes, as i would like to get some coaching on technique. I try to practice and and dry fire a little bit each night before i change into something more comfortable than my work attire. I have a bore laser that i mix in with 9 snap caps for this exercise. I noticed that post triger pull im a few inches off of where i think i am, so there is a ton of room for improvement here.


    As for ammo i currently carry 124gr Federal Hydra shok, i generally end each range session by use the rounds that have been in my carry magazine, so that i cycle in fresh ammunition and that my last impression and muscle memory are of the rounds i have loaded for carry .
    Their website is at www.tkallc.com. The hold many classes at the NRA Range.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Just for clarification - "fingering" means any handling of the handgun. Some call it administrative manipulation/adjustment. There is great truth to the saying "It's not IF you will ever have a negligent discharge, but WHEN." Futzing with the slide while the handgun is in the holster is still in the realm of "fingering" even if you never touch the trigger.

    Which is why the suggestion to handle the handgun & holster as one unit and just put it inside whatever lockbox you choose as the single unit. Again, IMHO if it is safe enough to have one in the chamber while on your body it should be safe enough to have one in the chamber in the lockbox. If anybody breaks into your lockbox and shoots themself it is their fault, not yours.

    If you do not think a lockbox is secure enough you need to come up with something more secure. Until they started making purpose-built lockboxes I used an ammo can with some rags as padding, a Masterlock, and a short length of vinyl-coated wire rope with eyes on both ends. The rope went to an eyebolt welded to the car.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Their website is at www.tkallc.com. The hold many classes at the NRA Range.


    Thanks James!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Just for clarification - "fingering" means any handling of the handgun. Some call it administrative manipulation/adjustment. There is great truth to the saying "It's not IF you will ever have a negligent discharge, but WHEN." Futzing with the slide while the handgun is in the holster is still in the realm of "fingering" even if you never touch the trigger.

    Which is why the suggestion to handle the handgun & holster as one unit and just put it inside whatever lockbox you choose as the single unit. Again, IMHO if it is safe enough to have one in the chamber while on your body it should be safe enough to have one in the chamber in the lockbox. If anybody breaks into your lockbox and shoots themself it is their fault, not yours.

    If you do not think a lockbox is secure enough you need to come up with something more secure. Until they started making purpose-built lockboxes I used an ammo can with some rags as padding, a Masterlock, and a short length of vinyl-coated wire rope with eyes on both ends. The rope went to an eyebolt welded to the car.

    stay safe.
    I see the reasoning behind that, and have started storing as one unit. I Do want to investigate a good OWB for my weekday carry as that makes the reattachment process MUCH smoother. trying to get the hoster back IWB involves a lot of rearranging and shifting, unbuckling of the belt and all sorts of other **** that probably look very pervery from a passer by's POV.


    Im gonna take a look at some nanovaults soon when i make a trip down to gandermountain and basspro and see how they are setup. Im thinking one of those under the seat bolted to the rails is going to be the best solution to all of the problems involved.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    I see the reasoning behind that, and have started storing as one unit. I Do want to investigate a good OWB for my weekday carry as that makes the reattachment process MUCH smoother. trying to get the hoster back IWB involves a lot of rearranging and shifting, unbuckling of the belt and all sorts of other **** that probably look very pervery from a passer by's POV.


    ....
    I happe to be a major proponent of paddle holsters for just that reason. There are paddle holsters and there are paddle holsters. And then you get into the level and method of retention of both the holster and the handgun in the holster.

    Removing a paddle holster is sometimes easier than getting that cellphone holder off your belt.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  22. #22
    Regular Member B. Reddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orange County, Virginia
    Posts
    110

    Did anybody suggest a console vault?

    L- How about a replacement center console that is a gun vault?


    http://www.consolevault.com/universal.html

    Looks like you can request a vault for a car not listed in their line-up.


    OK- this one prolly won't work for you, but just LOOK at that bad boy! It can hold a rifle, gobs of ammo and handguns!

    http://bedgunsafe.com/bedbunkers/console-bunker/

  23. #23
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,876
    first i have an extended cab small late model truck and permanently mounted a gun vault behind the drivers seat where i can unobtrusively place my firearm when i park or get pulled over...

    the fold down arm rest have two mags, one for each of the carry guns i might have on me, loaded w/defensive carry ammo velcro'd to the underside of the rest so when it is down they are out of sight and out of mind and my peace of mind is assured in case some crazy fool decides to kick in my wind screen

    just what works for me...

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 12-30-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Reddy View Post
    --snipped--


    OK- this one prolly won't work for you, but just LOOK at that bad boy! It can hold a rifle, gobs of ammo and handguns!

    http://bedgunsafe.com/bedbunkers/console-bunker/
    That item just screams, "Steal me (the whole car) because there are some things of value inside."

    Wonder if the could make it look like an Igloo cooler? Then I might think about it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member MNMGoneShooting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    I knew i couldnt be the only person to work on a base or other fed land. Im not sure what sort of storage facilites are around here, i thought about asking but seeing as there are still admin staff here and its not all soldiers im little weary of running around asking people where i can put my gun. But this does bear some consideration

    .
    That's exactly what I asked them. That I had a firearm that I routinely carry, but can't take it on the base. They responded positively and said many others from the base were using the same method. It was all a very relaxed discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •