• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recently Started opening carrying, wanted to get some concensus on a few topics

Ludacon

FNG here, i recently picked up a SR9C and the next friday amazon delivered my holster, which i promptly strapped on and hanvent left the house without since. ive had pretty much no reactions or interactions to the firearm, probably sue to the fact that its an IWB setup and only the butt and rear of the slide show out of my waistband.

ANYWAYS. I had a question on how everyone is storing their firearms in locations they cant carry at. I work at a Fed/Mil installation and thus cant carry as its fed land. as i have (like im sure many of you do) and extensive commute in and out, and usually run errands everywhere i dont feel comfortable leaving my pistol at home. So i have been unholstering, remove mag and chambered round, and then storing holstered piece in locked glovebox (hatchback so no trunk and a tiny center console). I take the magazine with me, as i would prefer a thief to not have a loaded firearm (9mm is common enough, but still) if they were to break into my vehicle. I realize this is very unlikely, but i am curious as to what solutions you all have come up with.

Not necessarily a OC question, but i was wondering what you all loaded in your SD mags, my Grandfather (dunbar truck driver) always recomended JHP/SD rounds for the first 1/4 or 1/3 of a magazine and then the heaviest most penetrative round you can get. Since after the first few shot if the attacker is still up they have likely taken cover or have some sort of armor on and you will need as much punch as possible Any thoughts on that?

tl;dr
Curious how people store their arms when leaving in vehicle, what rounds to do you load fo SD mags.

Thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site!

In an urban environment, it's good to lock it in the glovebox, trunk or lockbox...which can be had for very little these days. I rarely do but I'm not around a lot of people.

I shoot cast RNFP's or Keith style in the revolvers... in everything but the Glock. It has to have a jacket bullet. I want penetration not expansion which IMO is problematic at best.

Last edited:

Ludacon

I had thought about a nanovault under one of the seats, but im not sure how usable a nanovault would be as far as being able to quickly unlock, open, stow, lock, and secure to the underside of one of the seats. As i park off the gated grounds, in a residential area i would like to minimize the amount of time i have an unholstered/secured firearm. I realize its legal and all but there are a lot of mothers and kids out and about when i am exiting and renetering my vehicle, and i try to avoid unnecessary LEO interactions.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I had thought about a nanovault under one of the seats, but im not sure how usable a nanovault would be as far as being able to quickly unlock, open, stow, lock, and secure to the underside of one of the seats. As i park off the gated grounds, in a residential area i would like to minimize the amount of time i have an unholstered/secured firearm. I realize its legal and all but there are a lot of mothers and kids out and about when i am exiting and renetering my vehicle, and i try to avoid unnecessary LEO interactions.

That is a concern considering Va's Brandishing laws. WE had a member convicted recently for putting his gun in his holster. which was in a compartment in the dash.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Bonus points for knowing what a FNG is - you will soon lose that distinction if you don't take the gruffness of some of us too seriously.

Ink it in your calendar to join us at the General Assembly Building on Lobby Day. Maybe attend the pre-Lobby Day dinner Sunday night and the pre-Lobby Day breakfast Early Monday morning. Look for info about OC get-togethers near you (dinners, lunches, trash pick-up, etc.). It might be useful to edit your profile and let folks know where in te Commonwealth you are located. We are all on at least one goobermint watch list, so putting that information out there will not expose you to something you are not already exposed to.

Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERTs. Either join on-line or hold out till the next gun show when you can go stop by the VCDL table and talk with the volunteers as you fill out the membership paperwork.

There are any number of "lockboxes" designed for firearms storage that are either especially designed for car use or can easily be adapted (usually by the use of plastic-coated cable and a good lock).

[strike]BUT if you are working on a fed/mil installation you are 99.99999% guaranteed to be violating the No Firearms regulations and if you get caught (entry implies consent to search) you could lose your job and face fines/inprisonment. Take a moment one day to stop and read the signage at the facility entrance. It will among other things cite the regulations/laws that say No Guns.[/strike]

I missed that you park off-site. The transfer from your body to where you store it can be problematical. Ask us how we know that. Can you rig up something so you carry from home with the gun in some sort of container that is not yet secured/locked? (center console. lock box that fits in the center console. etc.) Then all you have to when arriving in the morning is lock the container, and at the end of the day unlock it for the drive home.

It sucks to have to make an hours-long commute while disarmed, but that is the alternative to taking a chance of life-changing consequences that are statistically much more likely to happen than finding yourself in a situation where you need your firearm. Knowlege is sometimes a PITA.

As for what ammo to use? The only safe answer (and I'm not always sure about that) is to use the proper caliber for the firearm. Manufacturers are coming up with new and wonderful combinations of bullet type, powder, primer, and casing. "Back in the day" everybody swore by the FBI load for .38spl - now there are many commercial choices that, based on the criteria used, outclass that.

stay safe.

FNG here, i recently picked up a SR9C and the next friday amazon delivered my holster, which i promptly strapped on and hanvent left the house without since. ive had pretty much no reactions or interactions to the firearm, probably sue to the fact that its an IWB setup and only the butt and rear of the slide show out of my waistband.

ANYWAYS. I had a question on how everyone is storing their firearms in locations they cant carry at. I work at a Fed/Mil installation and thus cant carry as its fed land. as i have (like im sure many of you do) and extensive commute in and out, and usually run errands everywhere i dont feel comfortable leaving my pistol at home. So i have been unholstering, remove mag and chambered round, and then storing holstered piece in locked glovebox (hatchback so no trunk and a tiny center console). I take the magazine with me, as i would prefer a thief to not have a loaded firearm (9mm is common enough, but still) if they were to break into my vehicle. I realize this is very unlikely, but i am curious as to what solutions you all have come up with.

Not necessarily a OC question, but i was wondering what you all loaded in your SD mags, my Grandfather (dunbar truck driver) always recomended JHP/SD rounds for the first 1/4 or 1/3 of a magazine and then the heaviest most penetrative round you can get. Since after the first few shot if the attacker is still up they have likely taken cover or have some sort of armor on and you will need as much punch as possible Any thoughts on that?

tl;dr
Curious how people store their arms when leaving in vehicle, what rounds to do you load fo SD mags.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ludacon

Welcome to OCDO. Bonus points for knowing what a FNG is - you will soon lose that distinction if you don't take the gruffness of some of us too seriously.

I missed that you park off-site. The transfer from your body to where you store it can be problematical. Ask us how we know that. Can you rig up something so you carry from home with the gun in some sort of container that is not yet secured/locked? (center console. lock box that fits in the center console. etc.) Then all you have to when arriving in the morning is lock the container, and at the end of the day unlock it for the drive home.

As for what ammo to use? The only safe answer (and I'm not always sure about that) is to use the proper caliber for the firearm. Manufacturers are coming up with new and wonderful combinations of bullet type, powder, primer, and casing. "Back in the day" everybody swore by the FBI load for .38spl - now there are many commercial choices that, based on the criteria used, outclass that.

stay safe.

Im pretty Blunt/Gruff myself, so i dont offend easily.

As far as the transfer to storage, i have read through that entire thing tale, which is part of why i was asking. I remove the mag from the firearm while it is still holstered, and then lift the holster+pistol assembly out of the pants and expose just enough of the pistol to get the ejection port exposed, and then jack the round out onto my lap/seat. Kind of awkward to explain, but i am a lefite with firearms, so i remove the holster and turn the assmbly 90* to the right, and with my thumb on the back strap, and my fingers fully extended and locked down the holster, i push the holster down slighty and i rack the slide with my right hand. This is accomplished as i transition the enter assembly to my right hand to fully seat back into the holster, and then into the glovebox. This was the best method of transation i found yet. The firearm doesnt become removed from the holster, the rounds are all removed, and it is stored.

In Regards to some sort of lockable container, i was thinking of a nanovault in my backpack/under the seat. But this is still presents the issue of being disarmed while running errands and what not, or visiting with friends and family etc. As i do live so far out i tend to do stuff inside the belt way for few hours then make the later, but shorter trip back home. Additionally my vehicle has almost 0 space in the center console as it is a flip up arm rest, with no traditional center glove box. I can fit 2 mags in there without the cup holder insert, and its not lockable, so thats a no joy for firearm storage.

The ammo question was less the specific make/maker of ammo, and more how you load the mags. Full mag of FMJ/TMJ, 3 rounds of JHP then FMJ, full mag of JHP. I know especially in 9MM there are TOOOOOONS of ammo choices, and some experimentation is necessary to narrow down what you, and your fire arm like. Im even eyeing a Loading press as im a big propent of knowing everything that has gone into my stuff. This of course cost me time but i know that my loads will work every time, as i expect them to. Although i wouldnt carry Reloads in my carry mags... atleast not til i had been loading for a very long time.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
The ammo question was less the specific make/maker of ammo, and more how you load the mags. Full mag of FMJ/TMJ, 3 rounds of JHP then FMJ, full mag of JHP. I know especially in 9MM there are TOOOOOONS of ammo choices, and some experimentation is necessary to narrow down what you, and your fire arm like. Im even eyeing a Loading press as im a big propent of knowing everything that has gone into my stuff. This of course cost me time but i know that my loads will work every time, as i expect them to. Although i wouldnt carry Reloads in my carry mags... atleast not til i had been loading for a very long time.

Hollowpoints. The whole magazine. Spare magazine, too.

Shot placement is key...

homestar

As far as the transfer to storage, i have read through that entire thing tale, which is part of why i was asking. I remove the mag from the firearm while it is still holstered, and then lift the holster+pistol assembly out of the pants and expose just enough of the pistol to get the ejection port exposed, and then jack the round out onto my lap/seat. Kind of awkward to explain, but i am a lefite with firearms, so i remove the holster and turn the assmbly 90* to the right, and with my thumb on the back strap, and my fingers fully extended and locked down the holster, i push the holster down slighty and i rack the slide with my right hand. This is accomplished as i transition the enter assembly to my right hand to fully seat back into the holster, and then into the glovebox. This was the best method of transation i found yet. The firearm doesnt become removed from the holster, the rounds are all removed, and it is stored.

In Regards to some sort of lockable container, i was thinking of a nanovault in my backpack/under the seat. But this is still presents the issue of being disarmed while running errands and what not, or visiting with friends and family etc. As i do live so far out i tend to do stuff inside the belt way for few hours then make the later, but shorter trip back home. Additionally my vehicle has almost 0 space in the center console as it is a flip up arm rest, with no traditional center glove box. I can fit 2 mags in there without the cup holder insert, and its not lockable, so thats a no joy for firearm storage.

Consistent ammo in magazine. Hollow point.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Hollowpoints. The whole magazine. Spare magazine, too.

Shot placement is key...

^^^What he said. JHPs in everything loadable. My preference is Speer Gold Dots which were recommended to me by several Federal LEO friends ... but that was a few years ago and I'm sure that the technology has advanced in the last couple of years. Most importantly, make sure you go to the range and feed a box or two of whatever you choose through your firearm to see if it likes what you want to carry... and practice, practice, practice. Stay at home and practice dry fire even more than you practice live fire at the range. The NRA range will let you practice live fire by drawing from the holster, and TKA offers the Defensive Pistol class where you will gain experience in drawing, firing and doing tactical mag changes.

Ludacon

^^^What he said. JHPs in everything loadable. My preference is Speer Gold Dots which were recommended to me by several Federal LEO friends ... but that was a few years ago and I'm sure that the technology has advanced in the last couple of years. Most importantly, make sure you go to the range and feed a box or two of whatever you choose through your firearm to see if it likes what you want to carry... and practice, practice, practice. Stay at home and practice dry fire even more than you practice live fire at the range. The NRA range will let you practice live fire by drawing from the holster, and TKA offers the Defensive Pistol class where you will gain experience in drawing, firing and doing tactical mag changes.

I've spent an hour or two at the NRA range every Sunday since i got the firearm (which i guess isnt saying much since i pick up the ruger on the 6th, lol). But i have been shooting since about 8 (25 now) and received my NRA basic pistol certification at age 13, so im not stranger to the concepts involved. I have tried draw and fire drills @ the NRA range, not timed just getting used to it. But while i am able to chew the center of a standard pistol target apart @ 5 yards, i found that draw from a holster i was a wee bit miserable, and that was without a timer or any sort of pressure. So i would be interested in a link or more info on the TKA classes, as i would like to get some coaching on technique. I try to practice and and dry fire a little bit each night before i change into something more comfortable than my work attire. I have a bore laser that i mix in with 9 snap caps for this exercise. I noticed that post triger pull im a few inches off of where i think i am, so there is a ton of room for improvement here.

As for ammo i currently carry 124gr Federal Hydra shok, i generally end each range session by use the rounds that have been in my carry magazine, so that i cycle in fresh ammunition and that my last impression and muscle memory are of the rounds i have loaded for carry .

MNMGoneShooting

If you are in the same boat I am, you can't take the weapon or the ammunition on the property. Contact security and ask them. As for me, I rent a storage locker right off the base and drop off every morning. During working hours, the site is staffed and video monitored, so I have no problems in doing this. It gives me the security of being compliant with the base regulations, while still having the security of being armed after work and upon my arrival home.

When I first approached the storage facility about doing this, they responded saying there were numerous employees taking advantage of this method.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I've spent an hour or two at the NRA range every Sunday since i got the firearm (which i guess isnt saying much since i pick up the ruger on the 6th, lol). But i have been shooting since about 8 (25 now) and received my NRA basic pistol certification at age 13, so im not stranger to the concepts involved. I have tried draw and fire drills @ the NRA range, not timed just getting used to it. But while i am able to chew the center of a standard pistol target apart @ 5 yards, i found that draw from a holster i was a wee bit miserable, and that was without a timer or any sort of pressure. So i would be interested in a link or more info on the TKA classes, as i would like to get some coaching on technique. I try to practice and and dry fire a little bit each night before i change into something more comfortable than my work attire. I have a bore laser that i mix in with 9 snap caps for this exercise. I noticed that post triger pull im a few inches off of where i think i am, so there is a ton of room for improvement here.

As for ammo i currently carry 124gr Federal Hydra shok, i generally end each range session by use the rounds that have been in my carry magazine, so that i cycle in fresh ammunition and that my last impression and muscle memory are of the rounds i have loaded for carry .

Hydra Shok is an older design (bullet) that has been replaced by their HST loading. Currently the two best loads out there are the HST, which is available in 124gr and 147gr in standard and +P configurations, and the Speer Gold Dot 124gr, also in standard and +P loads. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet whereas the HST is not. However, both of these loads have a proven track record and are worthy of your consideration.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Why are you finger[__]ing the handgun at all? The more you touch it and/or remove it from the holster the more chances you have to activate the mechanical process that culminates in a negligent discharge. Most IWB holsters that I am familiar with are similar to OWB paddle holsters - you can remove them witout having to undo your belt/undress. The handgun & holster are moved as a unit - no need to unload. If it's safe enough to be loaded when you are wearing it, it is safe enough to remain loaded when you take it off still in the holster.

This then requires that you figure out how to put the holster/handgun back on as a unit while sitting in your car such that anyone casually observing does not think you are some sort of pervert. Or you can cheat by locking yourself and your backpack into a restroom stall where you can adjust your belt and pants.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Belated welcome to OCDO Ludacon. While some of us don't seldom venture north of the Ni, we do not hold living in NoVa against those gunnies that live there :)

Having made the decision to have your handgun available to you before and after work, the removal/acquisition of it and the safe storage become problematic. Many different solutions which require personal choices - I apply the KISS principle: reduce handling and have the gun fully charged at all times. To that end my gun(s) are never unloaded in my vehicle (except at gun shows) and are most frequently not removed from my holster. To clear the gun in your vehicle unnecessarily complicates everything unless you are venturing into D.C. which is another issue entirely.

Hope to see you at Lobby Day and please do follow through on the recommendation to join VCDL. You'll receive the free Va-Alerts too.

Ludacon

Hydra Shok is an older design (bullet) that has been replaced by their HST loading. Currently the two best loads out there are the HST, which is available in 124gr and 147gr in standard and +P configurations, and the Speer Gold Dot 124gr, also in standard and +P loads. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet whereas the HST is not. However, both of these loads have a proven track record and are worthy of your consideration.

Interesting, i think ill grab a box of each and see what feels the best, thanks for the recomendations!

Why are you finger[__]ing the handgun at all? The more you touch it and/or remove it from the holster the more chances you have to activate the mechanical process that culminates in a negligent discharge. Most IWB holsters that I am familiar with are similar to OWB paddle holsters - you can remove them witout having to undo your belt/undress. The handgun & holster are moved as a unit - no need to unload. If it's safe enough to be loaded when you are wearing it, it is safe enough to remain loaded when you take it off still in the holster.

This then requires that you figure out how to put the holster/handgun back on as a unit while sitting in your car such that anyone casually observing does not think you are some sort of pervert. Or you can cheat by locking yourself and your backpack into a restroom stall where you can adjust your belt and pants.

stay safe.

I can remove and store the holster+pistol as a unit. I am looking at something along the lines of a serpa OWB holster for easy re attachment. As for why im fingering the handgun, im not actually. The my fingers lay flat along the holster, touching at the base near the muzzle, while my left thumb is hooked behind hte back strap. When i rack the slide with my right hand while holding it like this, the firearm slides back slightly, exposing the ejection port enough for the round to be ejected and fall into my lap. The inner trigger safety is still within the holster during this process, once the round has been extracted i slide it in to the fully seated position and transition to my glovebox.

My concern isnt that the FIREARM is unsafe. My concern is that PEOPLE are unsafe, which is of course why i carry in the first place. While its a "nice" and "safe" neighborhood we all know thieves can strike anywhere. While my car is 14 years old, its also a european car, and i do have some modifications and audio gear to it, its not flashy but i always err on the side of caution. So if i were to leave the mag in, and the car was broken into. Not only would i have my firearm stolen, but it would be immediatly usable. Again, is it likely, hell no. but it is a possibility, so i wanted to broach the disussion and see what those who are more experienced in these matters thought.

If you are in the same boat I am, you can't take the weapon or the ammunition on the property. Contact security and ask them. As for me, I rent a storage locker right off the base and drop off every morning. During working hours, the site is staffed and video monitored, so I have no problems in doing this. It gives me the security of being compliant with the base regulations, while still having the security of being armed after work and upon my arrival home.

When I first approached the storage facility about doing this, they responded saying there were numerous employees taking advantage of this method.

I knew i couldnt be the only person to work on a base or other fed land. Im not sure what sort of storage facilites are around here, i thought about asking but seeing as there are still admin staff here and its not all soldiers im little weary of running around asking people where i can put my gun. But this does bear some consideration

Belated welcome to OCDO Ludacon. While some of us don't seldom venture north of the Ni, we do not hold living in NoVa against those gunnies that live there :)

Having made the decision to have your handgun available to you before and after work, the removal/acquisition of it and the safe storage become problematic. Many different solutions which require personal choices - I apply the KISS principle: reduce handling and have the gun fully charged at all times. To that end my gun(s) are never unloaded in my vehicle (except at gun shows) and are most frequently not removed from my holster. To clear the gun in your vehicle unnecessarily complicates everything unless you are venturing into D.C. which is another issue entirely.

Hope to see you at Lobby Day and please do follow through on the recommendation to join VCDL. You'll receive the free Va-Alerts too.

I live outside of the area, but close enough to still be considered nova lol. I had started doing that, but then i heard some co workers talking about a car that was broken into out in the neighborhood where i park and thus altered my keep it charged policy. I was bouncing some ideas off some fellow gunnies last night and one of them raised an interesting point that i couldnt answer. You are not allowed to have a GUN on fed property. But theres nothing barring the constituint components of the firearm. His suggestion was to field strip the piece and stash it in my bag. THis just seems to.... provacatory to the authorities. Im very certain that hte MPs and their M4's would not be happy with the argument that its not actually a gun, its just some metal, polymer and springs. BUT i thought it was a very interesting idea.

As to venturing in D.C. i make it a policy to avoid DC at all cost. With the very rare exception, and that was before i started carrying! :eek:

Thanks again for all the respones!

P.S. im not sure if i can get off for the lobby day, work being work, but i plan on sending out my vcdl stuff alopng with my renewel for my NRA membership.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Their website is at www.tkallc.com. The hold many classes at the NRA Range.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just for clarification - "fingering" means any handling of the handgun. Some call it administrative manipulation/adjustment. There is great truth to the saying "It's not IF you will ever have a negligent discharge, but WHEN." Futzing with the slide while the handgun is in the holster is still in the realm of "fingering" even if you never touch the trigger.

Which is why the suggestion to handle the handgun & holster as one unit and just put it inside whatever lockbox you choose as the single unit. Again, IMHO if it is safe enough to have one in the chamber while on your body it should be safe enough to have one in the chamber in the lockbox. If anybody breaks into your lockbox and shoots themself it is their fault, not yours.

If you do not think a lockbox is secure enough you need to come up with something more secure. Until they started making purpose-built lockboxes I used an ammo can with some rags as padding, a Masterlock, and a short length of vinyl-coated wire rope with eyes on both ends. The rope went to an eyebolt welded to the car.

stay safe.

Ludacon

Just for clarification - "fingering" means any handling of the handgun. Some call it administrative manipulation/adjustment. There is great truth to the saying "It's not IF you will ever have a negligent discharge, but WHEN." Futzing with the slide while the handgun is in the holster is still in the realm of "fingering" even if you never touch the trigger.

Which is why the suggestion to handle the handgun & holster as one unit and just put it inside whatever lockbox you choose as the single unit. Again, IMHO if it is safe enough to have one in the chamber while on your body it should be safe enough to have one in the chamber in the lockbox. If anybody breaks into your lockbox and shoots themself it is their fault, not yours.

If you do not think a lockbox is secure enough you need to come up with something more secure. Until they started making purpose-built lockboxes I used an ammo can with some rags as padding, a Masterlock, and a short length of vinyl-coated wire rope with eyes on both ends. The rope went to an eyebolt welded to the car.

stay safe.

I see the reasoning behind that, and have started storing as one unit. I Do want to investigate a good OWB for my weekday carry as that makes the reattachment process MUCH smoother. trying to get the hoster back IWB involves a lot of rearranging and shifting, unbuckling of the belt and all sorts of other **** that probably look very pervery from a passer by's POV.

Im gonna take a look at some nanovaults soon when i make a trip down to gandermountain and basspro and see how they are setup. Im thinking one of those under the seat bolted to the rails is going to be the best solution to all of the problems involved.