• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recently Started opening carrying, wanted to get some concensus on a few topics

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I see the reasoning behind that, and have started storing as one unit. I Do want to investigate a good OWB for my weekday carry as that makes the reattachment process MUCH smoother. trying to get the hoster back IWB involves a lot of rearranging and shifting, unbuckling of the belt and all sorts of other **** that probably look very pervery from a passer by's POV.

I happe to be a major proponent of paddle holsters for just that reason. There are paddle holsters and there are paddle holsters. And then you get into the level and method of retention of both the holster and the handgun in the holster.

Removing a paddle holster is sometimes easier than getting that cellphone holder off your belt.

stay safe.

solus

first i have an extended cab small late model truck and permanently mounted a gun vault behind the drivers seat where i can unobtrusively place my firearm when i park or get pulled over...

the fold down arm rest have two mags, one for each of the carry guns i might have on me, loaded w/defensive carry ammo velcro'd to the underside of the rest so when it is down they are out of sight and out of mind and my peace of mind is assured in case some crazy fool decides to kick in my wind screen

just what works for me...

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

OK- this one prolly won't work for you, but just LOOK at that bad boy! It can hold a rifle, gobs of ammo and handguns!

http://bedgunsafe.com/bedbunkers/console-bunker/

That item just screams, "Steal me (the whole car) because there are some things of value inside." :uhoh:

Wonder if the could make it look like an Igloo cooler? Then I might think about it. :)

MNMGoneShooting

I knew i couldnt be the only person to work on a base or other fed land. Im not sure what sort of storage facilites are around here, i thought about asking but seeing as there are still admin staff here and its not all soldiers im little weary of running around asking people where i can put my gun. But this does bear some consideration

That's exactly what I asked them. That I had a firearm that I routinely carry, but can't take it on the base. They responded positively and said many others from the base were using the same method. It was all a very relaxed discussion.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Caution about carrying the magazine with you: lots of statutes and regulations, state and federal, define cartridges as "firearms" for "can't carry here" purposes.

Ludacon

Caution about carrying the magazine with you: lots of statutes and regulations, state and federal, define cartridges as "firearms" for "can't carry here" purposes.

I had this brought to my attention and have settled on just removing the magazine and storing it in under the dash (i have a ledge i can easily reach under the steering wheel). Since my pistol has a magazine disconnect it cant be fired without a mag, so if it is stolen its atleast not usable.

L- How about a replacement center console that is a gun vault?

http://www.consolevault.com/universal.html

Looks like you can request a vault for a car not listed in their line-up.

OK- this one prolly won't work for you, but just LOOK at that bad boy! It can hold a rifle, gobs of ammo and handguns!

http://bedgunsafe.com/bedbunkers/console-bunker/

I drove a VW, and the center console isnt a storage location, i have a small flip down arm rest that has a "cup holder" insert, that doesnt really hold anything lol. so replacing it isnt an option, and i dont want to change anything to make the vehicle more enticing to a would be thief.

first i have an extended cab small late model truck and permanently mounted a gun vault behind the drivers seat where i can unobtrusively place my firearm when i park or get pulled over...

the fold down arm rest have two mags, one for each of the carry guns i might have on me, loaded w/defensive carry ammo velcro'd to the underside of the rest so when it is down they are out of sight and out of mind and my peace of mind is assured in case some crazy fool decides to kick in my wind screen

just what works for me...

ipse

when you say velcro'd to the underside, is there some sort of mag pouch there? or are you velcroing the actual magazine himself.