• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

? about PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center.

bwboley

Activist Member
This is where I'm treating for my motorcycle accident and every time I go there I notice on the door that it says. No weapons, this is a weapon free zone.
Is it a private hospital or gets money from the state?

deanf

Slick marketing statements from their website are nice, but don't tell the whole story.

I think the question is still open. I can't find any record that they are a municipal corporation, like a public hospital district.

This page makes reference to them paying over $10 million in state B&O tax in 2009, which suggests private.

jhfc

Curious as to what the definition of "community" is? The city? The state?

I looked around and couldn't find any clarification of this either.

Lante

Peace Health Southwest Medical Center is owned and operated by the non profit corporation Peace Health which operates 7 hospitals in Alaska, Washington and Oregon, along with many medical clinics. They were founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph. it is registered as a non profit corporation according to the Washington secretary of State. They are not part of a hospital district etc.

kparker

This is where I'm treating for my motorcycle accident and every time I go there I notice on the door that it says. No weapons, this is a weapon free zone.
Is it a private hospital or gets money from the state?

A partial answer: this is why God created concealed carry.

I won't speak to anyone's actual behavior in this area, just point out that--to the best of my knowledge--of the major local hospitals in Tacoma, only TG has a metal detector, and that only at the ER entrance. If you're entering during business hours, and NOT going for something where you'd have to leave your possessions unattended out of sight (e.g. x-ray or mri).... well you can draw your own conclusions.

jhfc

Peace Health Southwest Medical Center is owned and operated by the non profit corporation Peace Health which operates 7 hospitals in Alaska, Washington and Oregon, along with many medical clinics. They were founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph. it is registered as a non profit corporation according to the Washington secretary of State. They are not part of a hospital district etc.

I interpret that to mean they are a private entity and not subject to preemption, correct?