Thread: PSA: Roadblock in Reno 12/21/2013

PSA: Roadblock in Reno 12/21/2013

Public Service Announcement: People hostile to open carry are planning suspicionless seizures of travellers in Reno Saturday night. Some of these people have been recorded attacking open carriers, falsifying reports, tampering with evidence, and committing perjury in court. Record and stream. Don't wait until you are seized to start recording when you are out and about this weekend.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/st...de5tai-OQ.cspx
    http://www.carsonnow.org/story/12/18...g-forces-grant

According to one of the linked articles, UNR Police Services will be involved. Does that mean it'll be around UNR or do they use these folks anywhere? I suspect the latter..

No they get a bunch of different local agencies feeding at the trough. I even saw Washoe school police while I did the perp walk.

So if you roll up on one of these, is the correct response to roll down the window (part way) and ask "Am I being detained?"

Moved here last year from Ohio, not sure where these things stand legally. I was stopped once in Ohio (on a back road) they waved me off the road into a parking lot and proceeded to do a 'safety inspection' never once asked if they could and never once mentioned that it's voluntary (which of course I didn't know at the time). Then the 'reserve' cop (assuming he was reserves, little old man.. probably in his 60's) stuck a sticker on the inside of my windshield.

The correct response is up to you. If a uniformed officer orders you to stop, even by holding up his hand, you are detained, so there's no need to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    The correct response is up to you. If a uniformed officer orders you to stop, even by holding up his hand, you are detained, so there's no need to ask.
    You're right, at that point you are being detained. Like you said though, it's up to you to determine how to handle the situation; in this case, refusing to answer any questions warrants that you also ask "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?". There are plenty of examples on this type of constitutional resistance on youtube (some of which the civilian comes of as a ****** and many where LEOs come of as conniving.)

Personally, I believe that you have the right to move about unmolested by checkpoints that demonstrate no RAS, which of course, at blanket check points they do not have. With that said, I'm not entirely sure what I would do in such a case at this point.

Centurion
    So, you ask through your partially opened window with both your audio and video recording devices operating, "WHY am I being detained?" When he says that you're not being detained, you roll up you window after saying thank you and you drive off.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    So, you ask through your partially opened window with both your audio and video recording devices operating, "WHY am I being detained?" When he says that you're not being detained, you roll up you window after saying thank you and you drive off.
    No, I drive off without thanking anybody for depriving me of my rights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKk5VAy59w

But, if the answer is something else, such as, "Because this is a checkpoint and we have a right to detain you!" then you are in for an event. Be careful.
    Last edited by Yard Sale; 12-21-2013 at 08:28 PM.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
    According to one of the linked articles, UNR Police Services will be involved. Does that mean it'll be around UNR or do they use these folks anywhere? I suspect the latter..
    It's right there on the street running past UNR. They're also using part of the campus for their admin compound.

Centurion
    No, I drive off without thanking anybody for depriving me of my rights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKk5VAy59w

But, if the answer is something else, such as, "Because this is a checkpoint and we have a right to detain you!" then you are in for an event. Be careful.
    My "thanks" was and is intended to express gratitude that they have now informed me on tape and video that I am not being detained! At that instant the conversation is over, an I intend to be on my way!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Curious minds want to know... did anyone happen thru one of these?
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!