• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PSA: Roadblock in Reno 12/21/2013

Yard Sale

Public Service Announcement: People hostile to open carry are planning suspicionless seizures of travellers in Reno Saturday night. Some of these people have been recorded attacking open carriers, falsifying reports, tampering with evidence, and committing perjury in court. Record and stream. Don't wait until you are seized to start recording when you are out and about this weekend.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/s...-Saturday-in-Reno/djQr7epl20Cr6de5tai-OQ.cspx
http://www.carsonnow.org/story/12/1...o-weekend-funded-through-joining-forces-grant

braindead0

According to one of the linked articles, UNR Police Services will be involved. Does that mean it'll be around UNR or do they use these folks anywhere? I suspect the latter..

braindead0

So if you roll up on one of these, is the correct response to roll down the window (part way) and ask "Am I being detained?"

Moved here last year from Ohio, not sure where these things stand legally. I was stopped once in Ohio (on a back road) they waved me off the road into a parking lot and proceeded to do a 'safety inspection' never once asked if they could and never once mentioned that it's voluntary (which of course I didn't know at the time). Then the 'reserve' cop (assuming he was reserves, little old man.. probably in his 60's) stuck a sticker on the inside of my windshield.

Yard Sale

The correct response is up to you. If a uniformed officer orders you to stop, even by holding up his hand, you are detained, so there's no need to ask.

Turbod'1

The correct response is up to you. If a uniformed officer orders you to stop, even by holding up his hand, you are detained, so there's no need to ask.

You're right, at that point you are being detained. Like you said though, it's up to you to determine how to handle the situation; in this case, refusing to answer any questions warrants that you also ask "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?". There are plenty of examples on this type of constitutional resistance on youtube (some of which the civilian comes of as a ****** and many where LEOs come of as conniving.)

Personally, I believe that you have the right to move about unmolested by checkpoints that demonstrate no RAS, which of course, at blanket check points they do not have. With that said, I'm not entirely sure what I would do in such a case at this point.

JoeSparky

Centurion

So, you ask through your partially opened window with both your audio and video recording devices operating, "WHY am I being detained?" When he says that you're not being detained, you roll up you window after saying thank you and you drive off.

Yard Sale

So, you ask through your partially opened window with both your audio and video recording devices operating, "WHY am I being detained?" When he says that you're not being detained, you roll up you window after saying thank you and you drive off.
No, I drive off without thanking anybody for depriving me of my rights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKk5VAy59w

But, if the answer is something else, such as, "Because this is a checkpoint and we have a right to detain you!" then you are in for an event. Be careful.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
No, I drive off without thanking anybody for depriving me of my rights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKk5VAy59w

But, if the answer is something else, such as, "Because this is a checkpoint and we have a right to detain you!" then you are in for an event. Be careful.

My "thanks" was and is intended to express gratitude that they have now informed me on tape and video that I am not being detained! At that instant the conversation is over, an I intend to be on my way!