• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another school board looking to ban open carry.

DeSchaine

An interesting little development that I have to shine a light on. While reading the article, I noticed the reporter, Mr. Custodio made no mention of what the correct laws actually were, just the opinion of that ignorant Superintendent. In the interest of fairness, I sent the reporter an email, with a link to MSP Update 86.

Sir,

I ask that correct something in this article. You quoted Dr. Rod Rock as saying "You can't take a gun into banks, church, courts, theaters, sports arenas, day care centers, hospitals, and bars, but you can into school? I have a real problem with that,"

Dr. Rock is sadly uninformed. According to Sec. 234d, sub 2c, of the MI Penal Code, any person licensed by this state or another state may carry in those areas. I refer you to Michigan State Police Legal Update 86, published Oct. 26, 2010. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

In the interest of fairness and accurate reporting, I ask that you amend your article to reflect this information and make it clear that Dr. Rock's view is wrong.

Thank you for your time sir.

Lo and Behold,Mr. Custodio changed the article. Granted, it was only a small paragraph, but to me thats a small win for OC'ers. I only wonder how many of us sent Mr. Custodio a similar email.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Your guess is correct. I received this as part of an email from them on October 18, 2013:

Resolution Addressing Open Carry of Firearms in Schools

Current law lists the places where it is prohibited to carry a firearm including day care centers, hospitals and sporting arenas, but does not specifically list public schools. Recently, it has been brought to MASB’s attention that this has become an issue in a few of our schools. People who have a legal right to carry a firearm openly are entering our schools and the schools, upon seeing the weapon, enter into a lockdown. This unnecessarily disrupts the day for the students and a public school has no recourse to ban the weapon on its grounds.

This week, Rockford Public Schools passed a resolution urging the Michigan Legislature to add schools to the list of places where it is prohibited to openly carry a firearm. MASB supports their efforts and urges any of our members who are facing similar situations to join Rockford in adopting this resolution.

Now I know why the school boards making the news continually have the law wrong. Thanks.

Too bad they don't take the time to actually read the law for themselves. By doing so they wouldn't look like imbeciles by asking the legislature to do that which already IS the law. (Not that they don't already look silly by implementing a "code red" when they could just as easily investigate the situation before CHOOSING to do so)

Last edited:

Sheldon

Um they do realize that the State of Michigan reserves the right to exclusively govern and legislate WRT gun laws and any feel good BS they should pass will be ILLEGAL AND UNENFORCEABLE per MI law...

FreeInAZ

@Sheldon - they do, they just don't care. Think of the great example they are setting for the children in their care: if you don't like the rules - simply disobey them and make up your own rules (ie..policies) that say you can do what you aren't supposed to! Yeah....that's the ticket....:rolleyes:

FreeInAZ

The progressive districts of Mio Ausable, Alpena and Alcona joined the ranks of the "banners".springerdave

Funny thing is no one in the press is asking: well how are the gun bans working in other places with tougher laws on the books? The answer is THEY DO NOT WORK. The only people who obey these idiotic laws are us. Criminals don't - so the question really is: why do you want our children to be victims Mr./Mrs. Law maker/School board member?

Last edited:

tenletters

I might suggest he underlying issue here may well be the concept of the government school itself. Given a choice, many parents would feel safer enrolling their children in a private school that provided even basic security. Presidents and Congressmen certainly do. Trained and armed instructors, coaches and/or maintenance staff and a door locked and entry monitored after final bell are cheap and effective means of security. Just the idea that one bent on mayhem wouldn't know if the person he met was armed would be an effective deterrent to many.

Being crazy doesn't always mean being stupid.