• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, does the TOR browser work or not?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Kim allegedly wrote via Guerilla Mail, which he used to create an anonymous email address, according to a FBI affidavit. The subject line was "bombs placed around campus." Kim then used an internet service called TOR to disguise his computer's IP address in an effort to thwart law enforcement, the affidavit states. But because it was sent using Harvard's server the FBI was at his door within hours of the bomb scare

http://gma.yahoo.com/harvard-39-acc...il-banned-010023943--abc-news-topstories.html

jhfc

Depends on what you mean by "work" I suppose.

It has its weaknesses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)#Weaknesses

Furthermore, Egerstad is circumspect about the possible subversion of Tor by intelligence agencies –
"If you actually look in to where these Tor nodes are hosted and how big they are, some of these nodes cost thousands of dollars each month just to host because they're using lots of bandwidth, they're heavy-duty servers and so on. Who would pay for this and be anonymous?" [41]

Brace

Even if the encryption were faultless and the system couldn't be gamed at any other level, the state has the resources to sidestep the technology question altogether.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Even if the encryption were faultless and the system couldn't be gamed at any other level, the state has the resources to sidestep the technology question altogether.

well, this dude should have sent out an email from a mcdonalds or something ... harvard will likely grant him an honorary PhD

stealthyeliminator

I don't know the details but it sounds like it wasn't used properly. To 'be anonymous' is actually a pretty difficult task. It has a lot to do with the resources available to those trying to track you. TOR is probably decent but isn't an all-in-one solution. You need to use other methods in conjunction with tor