• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem in Puerto Rico

bradco

moved to puerto rico. if this goes here but move if not, looking to find out if my license is one involved in this problem and where can I check?

http://caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/lawyer-busted-in-$1.8m-gun-scheme-92128.html

DrakeZ07

moved to puerto rico. if this goes here but move if not, looking to find out if my license is one involved in this problem and where can I check?

http://caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/lawyer-busted-in-$1.8m-gun-scheme-92128.html

English does not taught in Puerto Rico?

You'd think English was his second language! It took me six attempts to figure out what he said, and I'm still confused.

pkbites

in my experience only about half of Puerto Ricans are reasonably fluent in English.

:confused: My experience is completely opposite. I've been to PR a couple of times, and have been all over the island. I found I was more apt to meet someone who did not speak Spanish than to meet someone who did not speak English. Though everyone I met tended to be bilingual. YMMV I guess.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

:confused: My experience is completely opposite. I've been to PR a couple of times, and have been all over the island. I found I was more apt to meet someone who did not speak Spanish than to meet someone who did not speak English. Though everyone I met tended to be bilingual. YMMV I guess.

I imagine it depends on many factors. In my dozen or so trips I was usually out away from the tourist-friendly areas working with local businesses during the period just before opening. Owners tended to be completely fluent bi-linguists, as did managers. Those working with the construction crews, electrical, plumbing and other trades ran the gamut from bilingual to nodding their heads and saying "yes!" to anything spoken to them in English. Most tended to the latter, or had a very, very limited English vocabulary. To add to the problem, those who had a basic working understanding of English were timid in its use. But overall, as I said, perhaps half were somewhat fluent in English or better.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

article said:
...Authorities said he trolled for illicit customers there, promising to get them licenses to carry firearms without having to show up in court or produce character witnesses. The bogus permits were then given to customers in bars, at the gun shop and shopping centers, authorities said...

Well, for starters, did you meet some guy in a dark alley to get your license?

bradco

Well, for starters, did you meet some guy in a dark alley to get your license?

no I did not meet anyone in a dark alley, but instead sent my weapons thru FFL in my home town in Connecticut before moving here, and was going thru the what I hope is the proper procedure to acquire permit here, considering it was not cheap, and to those who are commenting on my proper English which is my first language, I am from Philadelphia and raised in Connecticut, your comments are childish as I am nervous and worried to make sure that I am not breaking any laws so if you are not helping my to determine this, which was my initial question, then do not comment in this thread, any further responses to my nationality or origin will not be addressed. To those who are commenting properly, Thank You.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Did you have to sign papers in a courtroom or something like that? According to the article, it seems this guy's MO was to get people to avoid that process. How and where was your license actually given to you?

pkbites and I are two of the few guys here, I'd wager, who've actually been to Puerto Rico.

pkbites

pkbites and I are two of the few guys here, I'd wager, who've actually been to Puerto Rico.

If true that's sad. Not only is it a gem of the Caribbean, it's less hassle for Americans to visit than other places. No passport needed, no currency exchange, no international drivers permit needed, other than a few fruits/vegetables no customs to go through (I brought back 180 pounds of booze and nobody blinked). Legally it's no different than going to any other state. And the weather is gorgeous year 'round with a brief exception usually in October/early November.
Not only did every Puerto Rican resident I met everytime I've been there speak English, they were all super friendly regardless weather they were in the service industry or just another resident.

bradco

Did you have to sign papers in a courtroom or something like that? According to the article, it seems this guy's MO was to get people to avoid that process. How and where was your license actually given to you?

All the paperwork I filled out at the gun shop, and had to go to Police department get finger printed at the arms division and provide 3 references who had to personally go there and sign for me, and I had to provide their spouses information, the first permit came in the mail from the Police department and then I filled out another set of papers at their shop for the carry portion, which they told me that I needed a Lawyer to represent me in the court, and also the police did come to my barrio and interview my references and several neighbors and had them sign that I was not habitually addicted to drugs or alcohol nor was violent type as far as they know, they also interview and had my wife sign a document to this as well. But the portacion, which is the carry license they called me and I got at the gun shop, which it says it was issued by court. "Portacion Tribunal" on it.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
All the paperwork I filled out at the gun shop, and had to go to Police department get finger printed at the arms division and provide 3 references who had to personally go there and sign for me, and I had to provide their spouses information, the first permit came in the mail from the Police department and then I filled out another set of papers at their shop for the carry portion, which they told me that I needed a Lawyer to represent me in the court, and also the police did come to my barrio and interview my references and several neighbors and had them sign that I was not habitually addicted to drugs or alcohol nor was violent type as far as they know, they also interview and had my wife sign a document to this as well. But the portacion, which is the carry license they called me and I got at the gun shop, which it says it was issued by court. "Portacion Tribunal" on it.

It sounds as if you followed the normal procedures, ones that the scumbag was known to avoid. You are probably clear, so that should make it even easier to call the US Attorney in the article to make sure.

bradco

It sounds as if you followed the normal procedures, ones that the scumbag was known to avoid. You are probably clear, so that should make it even easier to call the US Attorney in the article to make sure.

Decided to call and go the store and check to make my mind at ease, low and behold mine is one of the licenses this scumbag acquired incorrectly, i will not say anything further except now I am going thru the process again, with a new lawyer as with a long list of others in the same boat.

jahwarrior

Try and steer clear of Calle 13; it's one of the worst areas in PR. My parents tried to get permits a few years ago; they were denied.

davidmcbeth

Banned
English does not taught in Kentucky either, apparently. :uhoh:

In case you are serious, in my experience only about half of Puerto Ricans are reasonably fluent in English.

Quite likely.

Me thinks it was sarcasm.

“On such a violent island, where murder is rampant, we have 1,000 people or more with firearms acquired with bogus permits,” she said.

Lovin this line from the link ^^^.

So, your permit system is keeping the violence down well...

bradco

Permit / License Process Update

Since last commenting on this thread, once I found out by going to Major Police Headquarters in Bayamon to check validity of my License was in fact invalid according to them, I turned in the License in to them that day, and they in turn gave me a copy of my initial license which is called "tiro al blanco" without the "portacion" carry part which translates to them as a permit to target practice at the range that I am registered with. Last week after patiently waiting I had my day at the tribunal in front of Judge and prosector with my new lawyer and my witnesses, they testified under oath to my character, and they asked me a bunch of questions, so now I awaiting my copy of the tribunal hearing, then I have to take that after notarizing to another Pueblo court and pay fe to change and get the carry permit properly. so this time I know it is done correctly as since then I have not carried and will not until the process is legal.

P.S. I hope my above paragraph is understood correctly :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the update. Wheels seem to turn slowly, but at least they turn.